This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Liquid CPU Coolers Worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are Liquid CPU Coolers Worth it?

User Info: SoulreaperX112

SoulreaperX112
3 weeks ago#1
I was planning on going with an AMD Ryzen 1800x. I was thinking I would get into OC'ing but didn't have the plan or desire to do a full water cooling system at the moment. I figured a good middle ground would be to just get a CPU water cooler but I was not really sure what to go with or if they are even worth it. I was looking at the corsair models but reviews show a lot of pump failures within a year of use. If anyone has any recommendations or advise against it let me know.

This is the case I was planning on going with and it should fit a 280mm radiator.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139013&cm_re=corsair_vengeance_case-_-11-139-013-_-Product

This was the Mobo I was planning on going with. Saw the sale/rebate and thought it would go well with the 1800x. However, I am not sure if that I/O shield Protector would interfere with a radiator or air cooler system.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157757

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
3 weeks ago#2
Yes they are worth it
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: KURRUPTOR

KURRUPTOR
3 weeks ago#3
No not really, better off spending the extra 70 bucks for a different upgrade and just slapping a 212 evo on there.

Also those liquid coolers are loud as crap.
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.

User Info: Lord Hamm

Lord Hamm
3 weeks ago#4
Nope
You know why they call it an Xbox 360
When you look at it, you turn 360 degrees and walk away.

SoulreaperX112
3 weeks ago#5
I was thinking about going with the EVO If I stuck with Air cooling.Would something like the cooler master hyper d92 be better? Seems to be smaller height so I could probably fit a side fan. However it is a bit wider and might be an issue for RAM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103108

User Info: Januzaj_Dragon

Januzaj_Dragon
3 weeks ago#6
No because in time they can explode and cause Nuclear disaster resulting in high levels of radiation
The Real Top 3 of 2017: 1- Nioh | 2- Ninja Gaiden Black | 3- Persona 5

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
3 weeks ago#7
The AIO ones are a crapshoot. I had one a while back that had an air bubble in it so the pump clicked really loud. They wanted me to pay the shipping to RMA it, but I only paid $20 for it so I said f*** it, put it in the closet until I sold it. I told the guy it had an air bubble in it, but he didn't care.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

SoulreaperX112
3 weeks ago#8
Thanks for the responses. I was doing some more reading into it and yeah it seems a lot of them are hit in miss if they have problems. Better to do full custom loop systems if getting into water cooler

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
3 weeks ago#9
For an 1800X, yes.
Ryzen 1600X | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync (1ms G2G)
Switch

User Info: Elephant Rider

Elephant Rider
3 weeks ago#10
Depends on what you are doing. On my processor, it's worth it. Just to not have to deal with a huge heatsink and fan, it's worth it. Especially when you're moving it and the heatsink weighs a ton and you have to pull it off the mobo to make sure it the board doesn't get damaged if the computer gets jarred. Aesthetically, in my build, it's worth it. And it's nice not to have to work around a huge heatsink. To be honest, it's also much quieter than any fan I've ever had on a heatsink.

I've been using the Corsair H105 for 2 years. So far, no problems at all with it. I replaced the stock fans with the Corsair SP model, which made it MUCH quieter.

As for a pump failure... Corsair does have a 5 year warranty, and from what I've heard they're RMA service is great. Worst that happens if a pump fails is your computer shutdowns, you RMA the thing or get a new one, and go on down the road. It seems if the pump is gonna fail, it does it sooner than later.

Personally, I always thought AIO coolers were stupid and crap. And they used to be. When I built this system I wanted more cooling on the processor (5820K), but I didn't want to build a custom loop just for the processor. I started looking more at AIOs and realized they're not the crap they used to be. They've come a long way, especially if you get one from a reputable brand. I'm quite happy with mine. I don't think I'll ever go back to air on the processor.
little grey men are coming our way
tastes just like chicken they say
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are Liquid CPU Coolers Worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived