This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Liquid CPU Coolers Worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are Liquid CPU Coolers Worth it?

User Info: Fony

Fony
3 weeks ago#11
Yes.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: KainFourteh

KainFourteh
3 weeks ago#12
Nope. Anyone saying otherwise hasn't got a clue what they're talking about.

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
3 weeks ago#13
if you've got the space in your case just get a big air cooler. personally love my noctua nh15, never go above 60C at full load.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: RainblowDash

RainblowDash
3 weeks ago#14
Yes, especially for overclocking.

Ignore the noobs saying otherwise
Ryzen 7 1700X - Sapphire RX Vega 64 - ASRock Fatal1ty X370
Samsung 960 EVO 500gb - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16gb - Silverstone SX700 700W

User Info: KainFourteh

KainFourteh
3 weeks ago#15
RainblowDash posted...
Yes, especially for overclocking.

Ignore the noobs saying otherwise

Lol, cretin with no clue.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#16
You have to do some serious overclocking for them to be worthwhile. Otherwise aircooling is sufficient enough.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: SoulreaperX112

SoulreaperX112
3 weeks ago#17
captsplatter_1 posted...
You have to do some serious overclocking for them to be worthwhile. Otherwise aircooling is sufficient enough.

I was not planning on pushing the CPU to the absolute max just to bump it up to a stable amount. Was considering downgrading the MOBO choice to the Fatality x370 gaming x instead of the taichi to save the cost a bit and throw in an ssd. Does anyone know if the Fatality x370 gaming x is decent for OCing? Seems to be a newer gaming k4 model.

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#18
SoulreaperX112 posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...

I was not planning on pushing the CPU to the absolute max just to bump it up to a stable amount. Was considering downgrading the MOBO choice to the Fatality x370 gaming x instead of the taichi to save the cost a bit and throw in an ssd. Does anyone know if the Fatality x370 gaming x is decent for OCing? Seems to be a newer gaming k4 model.

When I overclocked stuff (didn't really see improvements, so I put it back at stock) but the tempreture was fine with just air cooling everywhere. Then again the airflow in my case is amazing.
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
3 weeks ago#19
Pros of AIOs (compared to conventional air coolers):
- Take up less space in the case
- More aesthetically pleasing
- Weight of the cooler is more evenly distributed around your case
- Cools better than all but the largest air coolers
- Very quiet*

Cons:
- More potential points of failure
- Large, high-end air coolers often match or beat cooling performance for lower cost
- Along with more points of failure, more potential for catastrophic failure**

*AIOs should be very quiet if they're functioning properly. If your pump is audible over the rest of your rig's idle noises, something is wrong.
**Yes, water can leak and break everything. However, most AIO manufacturers have pretty solid warranties regarding not just their product, but the entire rest of your PC should something go horribly wrong as a result of a manufacturing defect. Corsair especially has a great warranty, and I believe Thermaltake and NZXT have comparable ones as well.

Personally, I think they're worth it, but you are going to spend a little cash for the look and some more subjective stuff. If all you care about is straight-up cooling performance, you may as well buy a Noctua DH-14. Same performance for $30-$70 less depending on where you look or what AIOs you're looking at.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#20
wantfastcars posted...
Pros of AIOs (compared to conventional air coolers):
- Take up less space in the case
- More aesthetically pleasing
- Weight of the cooler is more evenly distributed around your case
- Cools better than all but the largest air coolers
- Very quiet*

Cons:
- More potential points of failure
- Large, high-end air coolers often match or beat cooling performance for lower cost
- Along with more points of failure, more potential for catastrophic failure**

*AIOs should be very quiet if they're functioning properly. If your pump is audible over the rest of your rig's idle noises, something is wrong.
**Yes, water can leak and break everything. However, most AIO manufacturers have pretty solid warranties regarding not just their product, but the entire rest of your PC should something go horribly wrong as a result of a manufacturing defect. Corsair especially has a great warranty, and I believe Thermaltake and NZXT have comparable ones as well.

Personally, I think they're worth it, but you are going to spend a little cash for the look and some more subjective stuff. If all you care about is straight-up cooling performance, you may as well buy a Noctua DH-14. Same performance for $30-$70 less depending on where you look or what AIOs you're looking at.

Which reminds me, I'm glad now I grabbed the EVGA (was it) PSU. If there is some sort of surge, only my PSU goes to s*** and not the whole PC. Yes my PC is plugged into a surge protector. But that's another level of protection.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are Liquid CPU Coolers Worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived