This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the steam controller dead?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is the steam controller dead?

User Info: ISDcaptain01

ISDcaptain01
3 weeks ago#1
I don't see any new developments going on with this controller. No more new updates, no news on the revision and steam now allows you to configure the xb1 and ps4 controller just like the steam controller. Also steam machines and steamOS are dead as well.
lol at --> http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?=89123

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#2
I believe so, I mean they still support the current one, but that's about it.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 weeks ago#3
Looks still supported but sadly yes. I'm hoping for some upgrades, but my hardware side is falling apart, and the software side has gone backwards. I've had to export some of my old configs into new games because they used functions that aren't available anymore. For example, you can no longer assign gamepad functions to the desktop config. So you can't play non steam games, or set up games that use pre launch config utilities. It's a stupid thing to remove but they did.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 weeks ago#4
lmfao.........he said steam controller.....
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#5
Even if it is, at least better controller support/configuration in general came of it. Heck, I can even set the color and brightness of my PS4 controller.

User Info: Paulo_Lopes

Paulo_Lopes
3 weeks ago#6
Really wish they had kept the design they had showed us right before the final revision: where the touchpads were expected to function as the analog sticks and where we still had a dedicated d-pad with 4 physical buttons mirroring the ABXY setup.

At least that way the controller would have succeeded or failed on its own merits, the final revision just showed lack of confidence in the whole thing and the controller ended up being a half measure. I still like it and use it as my main controller but it could/should have been a much better device if it had embraced its dual touchpad setup.
~~ The self-appointed Immortal Iron Fist of the C&GN Board. ~~

User Info: spud_almighty

spud_almighty
3 weeks ago#7
I hope not, I do really like that controller. Needs improvements sure, but it is a far improvement on the Sony controller.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#8
Never rely on Valve to follow through with any conviction on it's projects. At least not the ones that aren't printing money or being done mostly by other people.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: betatech

betatech
3 weeks ago#9
Paulo_Lopes posted...
Really wish they had kept the design they had showed us right before the final revision: where the touchpads were expected to function as the analog sticks and where we still had a dedicated d-pad with 4 physical buttons mirroring the ABXY setup.

At least that way the controller would have succeeded or failed on its own merits, the final revision just showed lack of confidence in the whole thing and the controller ended up being a half measure. I still like it and use it as my main controller but it could/should have been a much better device if it had embraced its dual touchpad setup.

I suspect price played a part.

They probably intended this to be the default controller with ‘Steam Machines’ or at least wide success, so cost had to be low.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, CM 690 II. Win 10/Win8.1 x64.

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 weeks ago#10
I still use mine daily, currently playing through the .Hack GU games with it.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is the steam controller dead?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived