This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective
SinisterSlay posted...
But a game example. Digital controls. They didn't last long. And it's hard to go back to them.

Nonsense. Digital controls are alive and well. Or do you play fighting games and things like Cuphead with analog controls? Because only noobs do that.

Lazy chase cameras. Go play mario 64 or any early 3d 3rd person game. The camera is infuriating. In modern games, the camera swings to try and predict what the player wants to look at,

You don't know what you're talking about. Mario 64's camera does swing to try to predict what the player wants to look at.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_64#/media/File:Super-mario-64-camera-system-ai.jpg
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: XianMei

XianMei
3 weeks ago#12
The cranky hermit posted...
The phrase "didn't aged well" is a bad phrase and should not be used. And this "article" sucks - about 60% of it (no really, I measured) is talking about Max Payne's over the top dialog, as if that had anything to do with how old the game is, or as if everyone in 2001 were idiots who couldn't recognize camp if it crashed over their heads like a falling rooftop antennae tower.

It mentioned how the camp isn't really funny anymore, not that it wasn't recognizable.

Although ironically the games have never once made me laugh, they just really drew me in.
My quest to beat 40 games by March 1st 2018!
https://pastebin.com/8i5EiCi1

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
3 weeks ago#13
"Aging" is generally used to refer to one of two things:

-Graphics are too ugly I can't stand it aaaaaaaarrrrr

-Mechanics that aren't like today's mechanics, I can't stand it haaaaaarrr

The later I consider to be the stupidest use of the phrase.

Its like saying "this game had its own identity, blasphemy, should play like every game of its genre today".

Why? Especially in shooting games, I actually adore how different they all feel, until you go to the modern age where shooting in many games feels "the same", like everyone agreed for a boring standard and are actually being applauded for following it.

RhapsodyRage posted...
Cards_and_Hats posted...
ever notice how a lot of 3rd person shooter games are now over-the-shoulder

And they suck ass because of it. I hate that garbage.

God f***ing yes to that. f*** over the shoulder "hide 1/3rd of the screen" games.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com
(edited 3 weeks ago)
XianMei posted...
It mentioned how the camp isn't really funny anymore,

I don't see where it mentioned that.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#15
It is completely subjective. For example the first time I played Sly 2 was with a PS2 on an HDTV. The jaggies were horrible. I was surprised, and it made it obvious that the Wii in fact is quite a bit more powerful than the PS2.

That said, I think the game did age well because the game play and especially art direction soon enough made me forget about the jaggies and such.jake-sf posted...
"Aging" is generally used to refer to one of two things:

-Graphics are too ugly I can't stand it aaaaaaaarrrrr

-Mechanics that aren't like today's mechanics, I can't stand it haaaaaarrr

The later I consider to be the stupidest use of the phrase.

Its like saying "this game had its own identity, blasphemy, should play like every game of its genre today".

Why? Especially in shooting games, I actually adore how different they all feel, until you go to the modern age where shooting in many games feels "the same", like everyone agreed for a boring standard and are actually being applauded for following it.

RhapsodyRage posted...
Cards_and_Hats posted...
ever notice how a lot of 3rd person shooter games are now over-the-shoulder

And they suck ass because of it. I hate that garbage.

God f***ing yes to that. f*** over the shoulder "hide 1/3rd of the screen" games.

It's obnoxious, especially when talking to people in Mass Effect Andromeda. It's the video game equivalent of "poorly done camera work that wobbles/shakes all over and sways is artsy" nonsense that infected movies in the early 2000s and has reared its ugly head hard in Star Trek: Discovery. I can't imagine how poor camera work became "artsy." Just no. It's totally subjective, of course.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
3 weeks ago#16
"Aging poorly" ultimately is subjective, but it's the easiest way to say that a game's flaws have been made much more noticeable in comparison to games made after it. For example, I'd say the original XCOM: UFO Defense has aged extremely poor because of things like game-breaking designs (mind control hopping) and an atrocious UI that has no hotkeys, but that doesn't mean I think it's not fun.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.
Ultimate_Noob posted...
For example, I'd say the original XCOM: UFO Defense has aged extremely poor because of things like game-breaking designs (mind control hopping) and an atrocious UI that has no hotkeys, but that doesn't mean I think it's not fun.

You'd be wrong. These would have been issues for the vast majority of gamers in 1994 too. The difference is back then, the vast majority of gamers weren't playing games on their computers, and developers assumed anyone actually doing that would be comfortable reading a thick manual, and designed the game accordingly. X-COM was always a game that most people would have found impenetrable due to the UI and other design features. Microprose was OK with that.

Also, being able to break X-COM doesn't become noticeable from playing games made after it. Being able to break X-COM becomes noticeable from playing X-COM a lot.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#18
I'll never understand when people cite being able to overpower/exploit a game as something that makes the game 'bad' either. In an extreme example, there are people that complain Divinity: Original Sin 2 gets easier if you do everything you can to get all the experience you can total (there is no grinding and experience is limited in the game). Nothing forces people to exploit game mechanics to the fullest all because they know they can either (such as the cape in Super Mario World).

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
3 weeks ago#19
Voxwik posted...
I'll never understand when people cite being able to overpower/exploit a game as something that makes the game 'bad' either. In an extreme example, there are people that complain Divinity: Original Sin 2 gets easier if you do everything you can to get all the experience you can total (there is no grinding and experience is limited in the game). Nothing forces people to exploit game mechanics to the fullest all because they know they can either (such as the cape in Super Mario World).

I don't agree with you entirely. Lets take the cape example: The cap is part of the basic movement mechanics, and avoiding it requires too much will on the player's part. I'm not saying "using will power is bad", I'm saying using it to make your character worse at traversing the game feels like s***.

Thats why I'm a bigger believer of "options" and "mods". It is not a waste of willpower to change the cape in an option menu before starting the game.

Whatever state the game is in, the player should not feel that they have to "hold back" during gameplay to get more "challenge" (or some such) out of it.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com
spike_spiegel posted...
I'm actually playing Max Payne for the literal first time and I absolutely love it! But if I were to believe this article I should not be able to stand it and never play it because it aged horridly and was a product of its time therefore I cannot possibly enjoy or appreciate it in 2017.

Of course, because design takes priority over age. A good example is Diablo 2 vs. Diablo 3. Some people say D2 has aged horribly, yet it's still overall a better game than D3. Why do you think that is?
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ryant12/
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.