This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective

User Info: Pox

Pox
1 month ago#41
*TC links an article from RPS*

Really? Everybody knows they're a joke. They've taken bribes and always give glowing reviews for their "friends" in the industry...
Hokay so, here is ze Gamefaqs...

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
1 month ago#42
Bleu_Skie posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Bleu_Skie posted...
Games not aging well does happen, but the significance of it isn't that large. A good game won't become terrible over time, just not as good in comparison... like the difference between disgaea 1 and 5

Fun fact: I played some Everquest for the first time yesterday.

Sure, but were you playing this:

https://i.imgur.com/1UX4eA1.jpg

Or this:

https://i.imgur.com/UWxEx3h.jpg

Everquest has had a whole hell of a lot of updates since it started, and I don't know how many people who have been exposed to WOW would be very OK going back to the original EQ... ;)

Holy s***, I had no idea :P I'm playing the first one and the graphics were in "rough but fine" territory. I did think some of the QoL features were a bit lacking, but no huge complaints. Now that I see its roots, it is more impressive that the game is still around. I honestly wouldn't mind trying the original. EQ came up when a friend was reminising about it on PS2 which led to the idea of "why not try it." ...so I did lol.

I have never played WoW, so that isnt a refrence point for me.

Thanks for sharing that picture tho. I'll link him this thread later and see what he says :)

There also originally were no maps and you had to open your spell book obscuring your screen to meditate for mana. I started in 2003 and that was before I started.

I still actively play EverQuest. My guild/alliance got Atrebe's Vault down for the third time this week. That is only 2/3 through the current expansion but considering the crazy tuning and constant player nerfs lately we are fortunate.

The game is plagued by contrast lag spikes the last few months. They really need to fix that before nerfing even more things. It is like the devs are trying to drive people away by outrageously nerfing popular abilities. By some miracle we have a large amount of returning players lately despite those nerfs and the game servers' abysmal performance as of late.

User Info: XianMei

XianMei
1 month ago#43
Born Lucky posted...
For example - I 'm playing The Bard's Tale right now. I think it looks great.

Yeah...that's why people who still play games like the original Final Fantasy amd Might and Magic 3 don't want to play The Bards Tale. It's the graphics. It has NOTHING to do with how insanely confusing it is, or how outdated the gameplay is.

Are you for real?
My quest to beat 40 games by March 1st 2018!
https://pastebin.com/8i5EiCi1

User Info: Golden_Gonads

Golden_Gonads
1 month ago#44
Born Lucky posted...
For example - I 'm playing The Bard's Tale right now. I think it looks great.

Is that Bard's Tale 1985? Or the 'reimagining' from 2004?

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#45
I find most NES games hard going back to.

The bad framerates in many N64 games are also frustrating.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#46
XianMei posted...
Are you for real?

He's not for real. His MO is making specious arguments and then running away.

That said, The Bard's Tale isn't really any more outdated than the original Final Fantasy, and certainly a lot less buggy, and generally deeper. There's also nothing wrong with being dated.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
1 month ago#47
The latest of late responses...

The cranky hermit posted...
You're implying here that games with very good graphics tend to have mediocre gameplay. I say that's nonsense. If anything, games with very good graphics tend to have very good gameplay to back it up. It's rare for a team that doesn't know what they are doing to be able to conjure up great graphics.

No, I'm not saying that at all. I said "most games that age badly have good graphics", not "most games that have good graphics age badly", which is very different.

To illustrate this point, let's divide games into four categories.

1. Games with good gameplay and good graphics
2. Games with good graphics but mediocre gameplay.
3. Games with mediocre graphics but good gameplay
4. Games with mediocre graphics and gameplay.

Category 1 clearly doesn't age. Even though the graphics age, the gameplay remains good.

Category 2 is the category that ages the worst. The graphics might be able to carry the game when it's new, but once they lose their sheen, the game has to fall back on the gameplay, which isn't great.

Category 3 also doesn't age, because the gameplay was the main appeal to begin with, and gameplay doesn't really age.

Category 4 also doesn't really age, because it was never good to begin with.

So which is the category where aging happens the most? The one where you have good graphics but poor gameplay. Thus, my claim that "most games that age poorly have good graphics" is clearly accurate, because all of the games in this category have good graphics. However, this says nothing about the relative distribution of games between category 1 and 2.

My initial statement is really just a corollary of the statement that "graphics age, but gameplay doesn't".
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - A psychological fantasy novel series, book 2 finally complete

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
1 month ago#48
The cranky hermit posted...
XianMei posted...
Are you for real?

He's not for real. His MO is making specious arguments and then running away.

That said, The Bard's Tale isn't really any more outdated than the original Final Fantasy, and certainly a lot less buggy, and generally deeper. There's also nothing wrong with being dated.

Saying that the Bards Tale is a great game that still looks good, is a "specious argument". ???

What public school did you not graduate from?
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
1 month ago#49
SinisterSlay posted...
Go play mario 64 or any early 3d 3rd person game.

I've been saying since 1996 that Mario64 is one of the worst controlled games ever made along with a lot of the other titles that came out on N64.

It just doesn't come close to SMW or SMB3 and is an outright bad game because of it's controls. The only thing it revolutionized was futility in camera and character control.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
1 month ago#50
Terotrous posted...
Category 4 also doesn't really age, because it was never good to begin with.

You could say something like FF7 would fall into this category. Something that was really popular for a long time only because it was an "in" game.

A lot of early 3d console games fall into this category. The ones that weren't popular were just bad, the ones that were popular were still almost all bad.

Also 1999 Everquest graphics and Velious UI is the only proper way to play the game. It looks really rough but at the same time it's just perfect. Sound effects were awesome, atmosphere was awesome, lighting and colors were awesome. None of the graphics and engine updates they did to it over the years looks or feels right.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived