This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is upgrading to an M.2 SSD worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is upgrading to an M.2 SSD worth it?

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#11
I looked this up a few days ago and the consensus was the difference is inconsequential for games of today.

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
3 weeks ago#12
Renraku_San posted...
who the hell is transferring more than 700MB/sec on a daily f***ing basis? are you insane?

Then use a f***ing HDD then if u don’t care about performance because the point your making ISN'T what we’re talking about

Even still, sustained transfers are great and all, but random small (4k) reads/writes are where it's at.

Which PCIe still s***s all over SATA anyways so it’s not even an argument you win. Like I said, buying a SATA m.2 is like throwing your money away - PCIe costs the same but is better 3x over performance wise. ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD BUY SOMETHING INFERIOR WHEN A VASTLY SUPERIOR OPTION IS AVAILABLE AT TH EXACT SAME COST.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Villain

Villain
3 weeks ago#13
what if he doesn't have the slot?
http://i.imgur.com/ZWNgMXL.jpg
Formally known as Will VIIII

Ciera
3 weeks ago#14
then OP wouldn't make this topic (m.2 sata ssd and m.2 pcie ssd use the same slot - a m.2 slot)
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Biceptual

Biceptual
3 weeks ago#15
also if you have no M2 slot but a PCI 3.0 (or even 2.0 is faster than SATA) slot open with at least 4 usable lanes in it then you can buy a PCI to M2 converter and use a M2 drive that way.

i agree that sata ssd is pretty much a waste. for price/perforamnce m2 beats it so bad. if you need a sata drive for large amounts of space then just get an HDD. the cost ratio and 6TB or more of space is totally worth it if your m2 is big enough for your most used games/programs/OS.
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: Biceptual#1627 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Origin: Biceptual0 | Twitch: Biceptual0

User Info: Rexdragon125

Rexdragon125
3 weeks ago#16
Renraku_San posted...
who the hell is transferring more than 700MB/sec on a daily f***ing basis? are you insane

Windows 10 running updates, random defender scans, telemetry, whatever other stupid background crap it does to hog your drive and bring your system to a halt

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 weeks ago#17
So I upgraded my Rig and my Mobo and CPU are coming with the New RAM the board has 2x M.2. slots one for the SATA and one for the PCI-e.

If I populate my GPU does that PCI-e that has 16x does that M.2. slot that Populates the PCI-e slot pull from the GPU that is populated with the higher end GPU ?

I was just wondering if the PCI-e M.2. would take away from the GPU slot or not?
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

Ciera
3 weeks ago#18
only if you have a s*** motherboard would that be a concern. m.2 PCIe are x4 PCIe and you can treat them the same as any other PCIe add-on you would slot in addition to your video cards. (and fyi traditional sata controller operate off the PCIe bus anyways so...)
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Shebeskii

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#19
Ciera posted...
Renraku_San posted...
who the hell is transferring more than 700MB/sec on a daily f***ing basis? are you insane?

Then use a f***ing HDD then if u don’t care about performance because the point your making ISN'T what we’re talking about

Even still, sustained transfers are great and all, but random small (4k) reads/writes are where it's at.

Which PCIe still s***s all over SATA anyways so it’s not even an argument you win. Like I said, buying a SATA m.2 is like throwing your money away - PCIe costs the same but is better 3x over performance wise. ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD BUY SOMETHING INFERIOR WHEN A VASTLY SUPERIOR OPTION IS AVAILABLE AT TH EXACT SAME COST.

Everything you've said is wrong...

Sata M.2 is like half the price for the same storage... It's great for people who don't care for the extra performance but want a solid OS drive with some games.

Okay maybe not half the price but Sata M.2 is generally substantially cheaper, and most NVMe chips don't even come close to the rated speed of the bandwidth available, with only the most insanely expensive NVMe M.2 drives coming close, but the price isn't even in the same ballpark.

A lot of the time Sata drives are nearly as good as NVMe drives, slightly larger, and noticeably cheaper. I don't see how this is bad.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

User Info: Shebeskii

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#20
Ciera posted...
only if you have a s*** motherboard would that be a concern. m.2 PCIe are x4 PCIe and you can treat them the same as any other PCIe add-on you would slot in addition to your video cards. (and fyi traditional sata controller operate off the PCIe bus anyways so...)

You gotta stop giving advice man. Sata M.2 is priced accordingly vs. NVMe. Your posts in this topic have been embarrassing.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is upgrading to an M.2 SSD worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived