This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is upgrading to an M.2 SSD worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is upgrading to an M.2 SSD worth it?

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#31
Ciera posted...
Voxwik posted...
The performance difference is infinitesimal for games now and for years to come at that. There are specialized fields the speed may help. For everyone else, the speed difference is inconsequential in real world use for the time being.

Which has nothing to do with the original argument. Irrelevant diversion. If you are spending money get your f***ing money's worth. Don't buy old s***. Period.

Your money's worth implies sitting around twiddling your thumbs is worth it for gains you won't notice.

Edit:
Obviously if the products were available it would be a no brainer.

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
3 weeks ago#32
Sounds like someone has buyers remorse...
I'll... shave that cat.

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#33
Why would I have buyer's remorse? I literally researched this yesterday and my drive is in the mail. It is a drive I will use now whether or not I decide to upgrade my motherboard/CPU this week (I'm leaning on not doing so). On my current motherboard, using such a drive would outright disable one of my PCI Express slots. On a new one, obviously it would not but again I don't see any 1TB M.2 SSDs remotely close to $230.

I spent a decent amount of time reading discussions on this very topic. For my personal uses as a gamer, the consensus is it's inconsequential. If 1TB M.2 devices were around anywhere close to $230, I'd have gotten one. Now if in two weeks there's a 1TB device like that for $230 maybe I'd have a little buyer's remorse, but only because I wouldn't get to be lazy about using one less SATA port.

Ciera
3 weeks ago#34
We're not talking about SATA SATA (as in 2.5" disks). There's M.2 SATA which is completely different. That is what's being compared to M.2 PCIe. Both use M.2 slot but one operates on NVMe protocol and the other on SATA protocol.
Please stop replying if you don't even know what you're talking about.
I'll... shave that cat.

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#35
I'm talking about both, because I compared all three.

I'm saying not only is the difference between those two inconsequential in my particular case, but it's so incredibly inconsequential it doesn't matter I'm using SATA outright.

Obviously when faced with products of similar price getting the best makes sense. In this case aside from some very specific uses it's not enough of a real world difference to matter to most people.

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
3 weeks ago#36
Ciera posted...
iemerg_ posted...
Would you please link me to where a PCIe m.2 is the same cost as a SATA m.2? if you do I'll buy 100 of them. General consensus is a PCIe m.2 is nearly twice the cost of a SATA m.2.

250gb PCIe - $150. https://www.amazon.ca/Black-256GB-Performance-SSD-WDS256G1X0C/dp/B01MS6BYJD/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511243977&sr=8-2&keywords=WD+M.2
250gb SATA - $150. https://www.ncix.com/detail/wd-blue-250gb-2-5in-3d-72-143153.htm

So will you be making your purchase in cash, credit, or bing bucks?

Um how is that the same price? I can get a Samsung Evo 850 SATA M.2 500GB for $150...
You just listed a 256GB PCI M.2 and it's $150... So how is that comparable?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-N5E500BW/dp/B00TGIW1XG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1511246377&sr=8-6&keywords=samsung+evo+850

https://www.amazon.com/Black-512GB-Performance-SSD-WDS512G1X0C/dp/B01MR4VOBZ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1511246397&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=western+digital+black+pci

I mean it's close.. but the PCI is undeniably costs around $40 more. Is it worth 7 x the speed? probably... haha but I'm happy with my Samsung Evo currently.
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

Ciera
3 weeks ago#37
iemerg_ posted...
Um how is that the same price? I can get a Samsung Evo 850 SATA M.2 500GB for $150...
You just listed a 256GB PCI M.2 and it's $150... So how is that comparable?

already explained in prior post, the retailer isn't even carrying SATA m.2's because they're being CLEARED OUT. and i mentioned earlier the current low price on SATA m.2 is because they are being cleared out.

Voxwik posted...
I'm talking about both, because I compared all three.

I'm saying not only is the difference between those two inconsequential in my particular case, but it's so incredibly inconsequential it doesn't matter I'm using SATA outright.

Obviously when faced with products of similar price getting the best makes sense. In this case aside from some very specific uses it's not enough of a real world difference to matter to most people.

Sorry, I see what you mean. It's true that for most end users it doesn't make a difference. Especially if you value $/gb. Though my point is this isn't really a comparison between three but two - since m.2 sata isn't even worth considering. Whether or not m.2 is "worth" it really depends on how much the end user values the epeen boost they get by seeing their disk benchmarks in the GB/s range.
I'll... shave that cat.

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#38
It's my fault for the way I entered the conversation too. In hindsight it was odd.

Ciera
3 weeks ago#39
Personally, I'm still chugging along on my trusty old Samsung 830 Pro. I have a newer machine which I have setup as a home server (i.e. not my daily driver) that has a m.2 slot, but I really don't feel like dropping 2-3 bills on it just to get my home media server up a few seconds faster, you know?
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: NeedMoreMoney

NeedMoreMoney
3 weeks ago#40
Luckily I was able to get a 1TB 960 evo for $300 (which is considered a crazy deal imo)

The thing is a f***ing beast. I do a lot of read/write/transferring/installing and I could tell a difference imo from my 850 evo.

Also the less I have to deal with cables the better. My build looks so clean.
-
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is upgrading to an M.2 SSD worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived