This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which studio is currently the best maker of western RPGs?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which studio is currently the best maker of western RPGs?

User Info: SlashmanSG

SlashmanSG
3 weeks ago#11
Coffee_Nurse posted...
Obsidian has Fallout: New Vegas, PoE, KOTOR II, and Alpha Protocol on their side. I'm going with them.

What part of " By currently, I mean considering the last few years" don't you understand?
Fight Science with Wood http://i.imgur.com/MMRZgNi.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Um0p3xx.gif http://i.imgur.com/MIbbUHB.gif

User Info: brotrrwinner

brotrrwinner
3 weeks ago#12
Surprised at the lack of love for InXile. I never played Torment: Tides of Numenera but Wasteland 2 was pretty darn good
September 21st, 2008
Never forget

User Info: rusty5150

rusty5150
3 weeks ago#13
Obsidian are master storytellers, but their games are almost always buggy as hell.

User Info: Lemonspice

Lemonspice
3 weeks ago#14
Mixed opnion on Obsidian Entertainment as they are the top for me, however unlike other's (Grim dawn, Divinity 2, Wasteland 2, Tides ) they refuse to offer controller support, despite it being on console with the UI already done and works well, Don't see why other studios could put it out and not them but that's Paradox's choice and just a small pet peeve.

User Info: el_tercer_poder

el_tercer_poder
3 weeks ago#15
Before ME3/A, I would've easily voted for Bioware.
Alas...the rEApers got to them.
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)

User Info: CELTEKK

CELTEKK
3 weeks ago#16
Larian is obviously the only right answer
transcend8/23/15

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
3 weeks ago#17
brotrrwinner posted...
Surprised at the lack of love for InXile. I never played Torment: Tides of Numenera but Wasteland 2 was pretty darn good

Damn it....it's a tie between InXile and Larian for me.

Not too surprisingly, CDPR steals the spotlight once again. I suppose W3's level is too hard to beat.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#18
Bioware is not "obsessed with social justice" bigots get their mob of naive apologists to swarm any developer that is remotely inclusive. It's shut up entirely and keep the minorites tucked away out of sight or get labeled so-called SJW. They even blatantly kept M/M relationships tucked to the side pretty obviously to pander to the anti-SJW mob. That obviously didn't work especially when game files revealed they reversed course to remove Jaal as a romance prospect for Scott, after which they rightfully added him back in post launch. If anything with ME: A they tried to pander to the stereotypical straight male gamer squicked out by stuff like that, and it backfired by simultaneously annoying all sides of the issue. The anti-SJW mob would freak over any minorities of significance to begin with while the tucking the gay/bi guys to the side annoyed everyone else be it those that felt slighted or those that felt insulted EA thought they would lose their sales over it.

That isn't remotely a significant part of Mass Effect Andromeda's issues regardless. The game's disappointment is rooted in far more real reasons, the biggest being EA's meddling in trying to turn a single player RPG series into a 'games as a service' multiplayer cash milking machine. Plus there's the troubled development and transition from a failed procedurally generated vision as well. I'm floored they honestly thought their super generic cardboard villains and their goals were very creative as well. I did like the vault thing, however.

I feel like a fool for giving EA a chance. I do not hate ME: A, but it's merely an okay game when it should have been great. They promised to support the game and ditched the single player mere months later. EA disgusts me. Maxis, Popcap, now potentially Bioware stripped of their creative focus by meddling executive obsessed with microtransactions.

Personally Bethesda is up there but I don't know what's going on with TES VI or their new projects. I fear some of their current projects may be infected with the "games as a service" cancer but we'll see I suppose. The voiced protagonist thing doesn't belong in TES, and I will roll my eyes if they go that route. Hopefully their non-TES mystery projects will impress me but with the way big publishers are behaving lately I'm quite cautious.

I didn't know about Larian until recently, but I'm impressed with what the company has done. It's just sick they had to resort to Kickstarter because all publishers demanded they make action games instead of turn-based RPGs.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
3 weeks ago#19
Larian.

User Info: brotrrwinner

brotrrwinner
3 weeks ago#20
bump
September 21st, 2008
Never forget
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which studio is currently the best maker of western RPGs?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived