This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to PC gaming - bought a desktop

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC gaming - bought a desktop

User Info: Lief_of_Del

Lief_of_Del
3 weeks ago#1
I bought this.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10785695-864-92-tax-lenovo-ideacentre-720-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-1700-16gb-rx-480-8gb-128gb-ssd-1-tb-hdd?src=catpagev2

Reading some comparisons on the ryzen 7 1700. Apparently it's not as good for games compared to others. But honestly, I know nothing. Since I am getting this mainly for gaming, should I try selling it and replacing with something else, or will the ryzen 7 1700 be ok?

Again, I know nothing about computers.

I mainly play FFXIV and single player games. Looking forward to Anthem. VR eventually.
'I' before 'E' except before... running a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighborhood!

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
3 weeks ago#2
Ryzen 7 1700 is fine, i would be more worried about that 400w psu.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#3
It's probably fine. If you've got it then I wouldn't worry about trading it. It's not like you're going to be getting 10FPS in Destiny or something. Like Pel said, the PSU is probably the weak point since it's probably a very generic PSU that may not even come close to pushing 400W.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
3 weeks ago#4
Wow, that's actually a pretty nice deal.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: Lief_of_Del

Lief_of_Del
3 weeks ago#5
Because a Costco card was used, I got a free 4 year membership. Would that be void if I replaced the PSU? How big of a concern is the PSU?

Nice to know I don't need to mess with anything else though :) it looks like a tiny refrigerator.

Thanks for helping btw.
'I' before 'E' except before... running a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighborhood!

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
3 weeks ago#6
Not bad but a 400W PSU...

The recommended wattage for a RX 480 is 550W.

I would change out that PSU if I were you.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#7
Lief_of_Del posted...
Because a Costco card was used, I got a free 4 year membership. Would that be void if I replaced the PSU?

Would your Costco membership be void? No. Are you talking about an extended warranty? Yeah, that would be void.

How big of a concern is the PSU?

Well that's the question. I don't know if anyone can answer it. Sometimes these things last as long as the computer does, sometimes they go out and take everything in the computer with them. It's a crap shoot. It might be fine, it might not. 400W is low. I pushed in similar specs on pcpartpicker and it says the system uses 330W and that's without any other crap plugged in. So you're at the ceiling on a cheap power supply. That's not where most people would choose to be. But like I said, it might be fine. If you plug in some speakers and start up Rust and the PC turns off then I guess you'll know for sure. LoL.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
3 weeks ago#8
Spec wise its fine for gaming. Like others said maybe swap the power supply. Then again it's a prebuilt so warranty wise you should be covered.
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Gundam Versus, Destiny 2, picking something from my Backlog.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
3 weeks ago#9
Costco have a great returns policy so I'd buy it and if you have any problems, return it :)
Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync (1ms G2G)
Switch

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#10
Yeah you're definitely gonna wanna swap put that PSU to something like 600-750 which won't cost you much at all.
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC gaming - bought a desktop

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived