This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why don't developers focus on developing on PC

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why don't developers focus on developing on PC

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
3 weeks ago#21
Probably just because they're lazy. You don't see Sid Meier making Civilization for console or Sega making Total War or Dawn of War for consoles. PC gamers want options and high optimization in their games, and if you add mods, man, you don't even have to develop anymore. For the longest period of time PC gamers had the cream of the crop of video games with giant sprawling adventures like Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft and Civilization 5 etc. and because those games are supported far longer than consoles are, we always can just go play them instead of some garbage port that a fan will likely have to fix themselves.

So in essence, longevity, lack of clear ways to advertise games in an overcrowded marketplace (why people are now publishing on Switch due to being easily seen vs. Steam), and a bunch of negative press keep games away from PC. What needs to be done to help PC gaming is to get 95% of the games on Steam off Steam and only put good games that have been tested on there, not asset flips or stolen garbage, and maybe combine some stores or sites because there are far too many and they need easier access to markets (as much as Steam has, I mean, Origin cards, Humble Bundle cards, Fanantical cards, CDkeys cards, GOG cards, these all sound good but each store is too small to sell them).

But I think I got off point. Sorry :P Laziness is the reason I think. But there's still a lot of PC games on the horizon, so it is getting more popular to release PC ports at least.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: FixedMan

FixedMan
3 weeks ago#22
godplaysSNES posted...
If there weren't for consoles they'd have to cater to even lower-end PCs instead to target a big enough userbase. Otherwise they're just asking to go out of business.

So then go out making games not held back by plebs?

Go big or go home

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 weeks ago#23
FixedMan posted...
It's not even that hard strategy, develop a game where the graphics will melt the people's eyes, and everybody will build a PC.

A game that can melt people's eyes would require a beast of a PC. But not everyone has the money to build such PCs.

Also, most people (specially in North America) prefer consoles. A game like this would not be on consoles, or it would be heavily downgraded (a move that would anger console players).

PC games usually don't sell enough to justify the high costs of producing a high end game that won't even be on consoles. And most people won't have a good enough PC to run it well anyway.

FixedMan posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
If there weren't for consoles they'd have to cater to even lower-end PCs instead to target a big enough userbase. Otherwise they're just asking to go out of business.

So then go out making games not held back by plebs?

Go big or go home

Some of the biggest gaming companies that we have today started their lives as PC developers. And eventually that had to start releasing their games on consoles, because their games sold poorly (or not enough) on PC. Even Bethesda and Ubisoft started as a PC-only game developers. But soon they realized PC gaming wasn't enough.

They way you say it, you seem to forget that, ultimately, gaming companies don't make games to make us happy. They are making products that they need to sell. It's THAT simple.

FixedMan posted...
Switch is garbage how is it even selling out?

Show me a portable device that can play Doom and Skyrim at playable speeds, and costs the equivalent of 10 pizzas.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Switch, but it's a semi-powerful console that fits on your pocket.
Red Diamond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwltEBRrqs
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#24
MarceloSampaio posted...
I'm not the biggest fan of the Switch, but it's a semi-powerful console that fits on your pocket.

how f***ing big are your pockets holy s***
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#25
FixedMan posted...
Switch is garbage how is it even selling out?

Because the market doesn't revolve around you/your tastes? Are you really this sheltered/deluded? Try reading the new/experiencing the world around you once in a while.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
3 weeks ago#26
ClunkerSlim posted...
Star Wars Battlefront (PS4) = 8.2 million units
Star Wars Battlefront (XB1) = 4.2 million units
Star Wars Battlefront (PC) = 0.56 million units

Overwatch (PS4) = 3.5 million units
Overwatch (XB1) = 2.0 million units
Overwatch (PC) = 0.84 million units

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4) = 7.6 million units
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (XB1) = 4.6 million units
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PC) = 0.32 million units

Any questions?

Yeah. Is that only counting physical sales? If so, those are f***ing worthless numbers.
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#27
FixedMan posted...
It's not even that hard strategy, develop a game where the graphics will melt the people's eyes, and everybody will build a PC.

Like what happened with Crysis.

Now I know you're trolling - yes Crysis REALLY caused EVERYBODY to build an expensive PC specifically to run it *eyeroll*. Assuming you're not trolling and are really this dense, it's because the vast majority of the market are using $150-200 or so GPUs tops, the people spending a small fortune on their rig represent less than 10% of the market.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Life Sympathy

Life Sympathy
3 weeks ago#28
Because the hardware of consoles rarely varies (if ever). This makes development significantly easier which cuts down on time. This means significantly less cost on the publisher and a much easier profit margin at the time of sale.

It's similar to the level of polish that Apple is able to achieve with their operating systems because they control both the hardware and the software and that ridged control scheme grants them a superior development environment. Apple shows its faults when you start when you begin to deviate away from those strict standards. The most prominent example is Apple's laughable monitor support beyond their own in-house solutions (while Windows works fairly well out of the box since Windows 8).

PC, you have to mind AMD vs Intel. Vega vs NVidia. People that are on super tight budgets and use an APU with as fast RAM as they can find. Some people want to Steam with Linux. All these different frameworks and components they have to rigorously test to ensure that not only is stuff not crashing, but if the performance is at least decent. Most PC enthusiasts can dismiss it with a wave of the hand by simply brute forcing the performance as we both know a 1080Ti does not give two s***s if a game is optimized, it will push it out at max settings at 120+ FPS no problem. With this in mind, also note that the less optimized a game is, the lesser of an audience that you'll get to buy your game because not everyone can afford beastly cards.

Crunching numbers in Excel sheets in an objective way is exciting, but most people forget that the most important aspect is the game experience which is subjective and not everyone is going to groupthink with you.
We're surrounding you. We see you, but you probably don't see us. And if you see us, we're not letting on that we see you.

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 weeks ago#29
yohabroha posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...

Big enough to hold a 7'' tablet.
Red Diamond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwltEBRrqs
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#30
MarceloSampaio posted...
yohabroha posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...

Big enough to hold a 7'' tablet.

Do you wear JNCO jeans
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why don't developers focus on developing on PC

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived