This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC has been showing signs of slowing down the past two weeks. I can't figure out

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC has been showing signs of slowing down the past two weeks. I can't figure out

User Info: Xa3r0x

Xa3r0x
3 weeks ago#1
Specs in sig.

It's just been slowing down recently. Web pages scroll and load extremely slow. Major lag between opening GIFs or links. It's been getting more noticable lately and I can't figure out why.

I only notice it in web browsers. Games play fine, haven't had much issues except the occasional frame skip. I tried clearing my browser history, cookies, cache and no luck. Used CCLeaner and still the same. What else can I do?
i5-4670k @ 3.4 GHz | ASUS Strix 1080TI | GIGABYTE Z87 MX-D3H | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair CX600 | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | 128GB Crucial M4 SSD

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
3 weeks ago#2
Whenever I notice things like this...I immediately do a clean reinstall of windows. Infinitely less headache then using anti virus and whatever else to weed through files only for the problem to not even be virus related yet you're still stuck with a slower OS.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: ShinobiKaze

ShinobiKaze
3 weeks ago#3
Yeah do what Lazyy said. Clean install on windows is an easy fix. Windows 10 has an easy of clean install option now.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
3 weeks ago#4
Go into all of your web browsers and reset all settings to default. Each browser has a single button to do this somewhere in their options.

Next, check connection settings in Internet Options to ensure proxy settings are not being used.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon Vega 56, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.
(message deleted)

User Info: Xa3r0x

Xa3r0x
3 weeks ago#6
ShinobiKaze posted...
Yeah do what Lazyy said. Clean install on windows is an easy fix. Windows 10 has an easy of clean install option now.

Do I still need the original windows CD? Because I can't find it. I had windows 8 originally then got the free upgrade. How do you do the clean install?
i5-4670k @ 3.4 GHz | ASUS Strix 1080TI | GIGABYTE Z87 MX-D3H | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair CX600 | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | 128GB Crucial M4 SSD

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#7
LazyyAmerican posted...
Whenever I notice things like this...I immediately do a clean reinstall of windows. Infinitely less headache then using anti virus and whatever else to weed through files only for the problem to not even be virus related yet you're still stuck with a slower OS.

To me an OS nuke and subsequent driver/software installs/migration is a LOT more of a hassle than running some diagnostics/CCleaner etc. (unless you happen to have an up-to-date OS image handy).
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC has been showing signs of slowing down the past two weeks. I can't figure out

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived