This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What should my new skyrim character be?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What should my new skyrim character be?

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 weeks ago#11
shamfuru posted...
But give a few examples of how to be a "racist" nord mage.

If you side with the Stormcloaks, you are already in the right way to be a class-A racist. :p

Anyway, one example: when you first get to Windhelm, for example, you'll see that the Dark Elves are being treated as garbage there. You have the choice to be a bit racist in there, ignoring the dialogue entirely or "accepting" the dark elves. I think the Dark Elves on that city will start treating you a bit differently from that point on.

There are other places in the game where you can be racist. Racist against Kajits and Redguards, for example, is very common. Keep in mind that Skyrim is almost as deep as a puddle, so don't expect big changes in your game experience. But some small changes WILL be noticeable, specially in the random sentences characters speak when you get near them.

As for being a Nord Mage, there's no secret: play it safe. Avoid combat against heavily armored enemies as much as possible, but remember that Destruction Magic is NOT as bad as some people make it out to be. The Nords aren't the best race to play as a mage (High Elves would make more sense), but they are easier to survive, so you'll have more chance if you play as a Nord. Ice magic will make enemies slow to follow you, fire magic will make them burn for a while. Combine elements like this and you'll be fine.

If shields aren't your thing, that's ok. Focus on using both your hands to cast magic. And remember: you NEED wards. Even if you just plan on fleeing, wards WILL help you.

shamfuru posted...
I normally avoid combat as combat in these games are terrible. I also normally steal everything I can like this was a thief game.

I assume by your topic that you want something different in Skyrim, right? So don't do the exact same things. You can't expect different results if you open the same doors. ;)

I'm not saying that you shpuldn't steal, but if you already did that in a previous playthrough, do something different.

And BTW, I feel like the combat in Skyrim is a lot better when you are a mage. I always disliked the melee combat in Skyrim, but being a mage feels a lot better in here. Try focusing more on killing bandits in their lairs, getting their loot and looking for another group to slaughter. Try different things. Heck, try NOT sneaking: the game will feel VERY different this way. Trust me.
Red Diamond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwltEBRrqs
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
3 weeks ago#12
The racism part takes some imagination for sure, but not accepting quests that include helping characters of certain race is one way. Outright murdering is an option too.

I played a character that I described for quite a while, imposed several other rules too, like never sneak, steal or pickpocket, if you want something, kill the owner and rob it then. Used bound weapons and the resurrection side of conjuration, tons of fun.
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

User Info: shamfuru

shamfuru
3 weeks ago#13
MarceloSampaio posted...
shamfuru posted...
But give a few examples of how to be a "racist" nord mage.

If you side with the Stormcloaks, you are already in the right way to be a class-A racist. :p

Anyway, one example: when you first get to Windhelm, for example, you'll see that the Dark Elves are being treated as garbage there. You have the choice to be a bit racist in there, ignoring the dialogue entirely or "accepting" the dark elves. I think the Dark Elves on that city will start treating you a bit differently from that point on.

There are other places in the game where you can be racist. Racist against Kajits and Redguards, for example, is very common. Keep in mind that Skyrim is almost as deep as a puddle, so don't expect big changes in your game experience. But some small changes WILL be noticeable, specially in the random sentences characters speak when you get near them.

As for being a Nord Mage, there's no secret: play it safe. Avoid combat against heavily armored enemies as much as possible, but remember that Destruction Magic is NOT as bad as some people make it out to be. The Nords aren't the best race to play as a mage (High Elves would make more sense), but they are easier to survive, so you'll have more chance if you play as a Nord. Ice magic will make enemies slow to follow you, fire magic will make them burn for a while. Combine elements like this and you'll be fine.

If shields aren't your thing, that's ok. Focus on using both your hands to cast magic. And remember: you NEED wards. Even if you just plan on fleeing, wards WILL help you.

shamfuru posted...
I normally avoid combat as combat in these games are terrible. I also normally steal everything I can like this was a thief game.

I assume by your topic that you want something different in Skyrim, right? So don't do the exact same things. You can't expect different results if you open the same doors. ;)

I'm not saying that you shpuldn't steal, but if you already did that in a previous playthrough, do something different.

And BTW, I feel like the combat in Skyrim is a lot better when you are a mage. I always disliked the melee combat in Skyrim, but being a mage feels a lot better in here. Try focusing more on killing bandits in their lairs, getting their loot and looking for another group to slaughter. Try different things. Heck, try NOT sneaking: the game will feel VERY different this way. Trust me.

Hmm, maybe
https://bloodbornestory.wordpress.com/
Remove the cancer, take back your souls

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
3 weeks ago#14
If playing vanilla, orc mage. Then you can use your racial ability to boost magic damage if you need it.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1TB 500GB | Seagate 1TB HDD

shamfuru
3 weeks ago#15
it_r_over9000 posted...
If playing vanilla, orc mage. Then you can use your racial ability to boost magic damage if you need it.

Maybe.

Anything that doesnt involve sneaking or stealing is out of my comfort as it makes the game so much easier.

User Info: Maximoom

Maximoom
3 weeks ago#16
Argonian
Archery, Alchemy and Stealth.
Gigabyte H81M-H | i5 4460 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3Tech 500W Bronze

shamfuru
3 weeks ago#17
Maximoom posted...
Argonian

Everyone is a stealth archer, but maybe

Why argonian?

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
3 weeks ago#18
Maximoom posted...
Argonian

That's literally what I was playing last night. With a side of Illusion, though.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 weeks ago#19
shamfuru posted...
Everyone is a stealth archer, but maybe

I've seen the jokes but this was honestly my first build in Skyrim but purely because it's generally the playstyle I like. It's also close to my first build in each of the previous TES games.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Deathtnks

Deathtnks
3 weeks ago#20
Stealth Archer is also probably the easiest build to go with, only problem is with dragon fights.
Alien has stole teh 500 from me. TWICE!
I don't stop. I'm like the Energizer bunny. ~ alien_gundamneo
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What should my new skyrim character be?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived