This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC won't recover from sleep mode without a hard reset

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC won't recover from sleep mode without a hard reset

User Info: SnipeStar

SnipeStar
3 weeks ago#1
so i had seen this happen once or twice over the years, but now its occurring every time.

my PC is set to go to sleep after 4 hours, and when it does, and i wake it back up, it won't output a signal to the monitor. it all sounds like its working as normal but no video signal and the only thing i can do is hold the power button down until it shuts down and cycle it back up- which is annoying because i have an asus mobo so every time you do this (if you've changed anything in BIOS) you get the stupid "Overclocking setup has FAILED!" and you have to press F1 to go into and exit bios to get back to windows.

i even tried a soft reset by pressing the reset button but that doesn't fix the problem; you *have* to power the pc all the way down to get around this.

windows 10 64bit, specs are in sig, nothing has changed in a long time so i'm at a loss as to what is causing this
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX 980Ti FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro/2TB Seagate | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV05

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
3 weeks ago#2
My computer randomly started doing this at one point. Tried a bunch of s*** but nothing fixed it until I nuked the Windows install and started over.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: TheRaging

TheRaging
3 weeks ago#3
Re-install Windows and disable sleep/hybrid sleep and never use it again.
Enthoo EVOLV ATX | i7-6850K | X99A Gaming | Dominator 32GB | EVGA 1080 Ti, EVGA 1030 | 960 Pro 512 GB, 840 Evo 250GBx2 | SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q

User Info: Vortaka

Vortaka
3 weeks ago#4
Had problems like that with most of my Windows PC's from back to... maybe XP ,or 95? Or was it stand by mode in those days...? Anyway!

Since then (oh SOO long ago), every time I get a new version of Windows, I disable sleep mode. And, as you can guess, I haven't had those problems again (even thought, yeah, my PC doesn't sleep anymore! )

Oh, if Windows works until the sleep, there is no need to reinstall... Hope this helps!

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#5
it's probably something you installed recently that isn't playing nice with sleep. the easy way to fix would be a reinstall of Windows.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
3 weeks ago#6
Have you tried just turning the monitor off and on, or switching the input back and forth? Some monitors will automatically switch between input sources, and for some reason coming back from sleep doesn't always trigger the monitor to switch. Happens to me if I have a console or something plugged into HDMI 2 on my monitor. But as soon as I unplug HDMI 2, and it stops trying to detect input sources, it doesn't do it anymore.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: Hypertext_Eye

Hypertext_Eye
3 weeks ago#7
Just don't use sleep mode. It's worthless anyway, especially if you have an SSD (and you do).

User Info: SnipeStar

SnipeStar
2 weeks ago#8
Vortaka posted...
Had problems like that with most of my Windows PC's from back to... maybe XP ,or 95? Or was it stand by mode in those days...? Anyway!

ive never had this problem going all the way back to Windows 3.1.

zhenghan posted...
it's probably something you installed recently that isn't playing nice with sleep

ive installed nothing but games lol

wildog2006 posted...
Have you tried just turning the monitor off and on, or switching the input back and forth? Some monitors will automatically switch between input sources, and for some reason coming back from sleep doesn't always trigger the monitor to switch. Happens to me if I have a console or something plugged into HDMI 2 on my monitor. But as soon as I unplug HDMI 2, and it stops trying to detect input sources, it doesn't do it anymore.

i will try this

Hypertext_Eye posted...
Just don't use sleep mode. It's worthless anyway, especially if you have an SSD (and you do).

can you elaborate why a SSD obsolesces sleep mode? the boot time makes it irrelevant? its still significantly faster to load from sleep than it is from powered off, even with the quick boot or whatever in the bios
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX 980Ti FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro/2TB Seagate | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV05

User Info: Hypertext_Eye

Hypertext_Eye
2 weeks ago#9
SnipeStar posted...
Hypertext_Eye posted...

can you elaborate why a SSD obsolesces sleep mode? the boot time makes it irrelevant? its still significantly faster to load from sleep than it is from powered off, even with the quick boot or whatever in the bios

Waking from hibernate is just as fast as waking from sleep, and you don't risk losing data from a power outage.

User Info: thanthen

thanthen
2 weeks ago#10
Use hibernate.
I'm gonna stab the s*** out of you. - Detective Castellanos, renown art critic.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC won't recover from sleep mode without a hard reset

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived