This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why haven't Windows 7 users upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why haven't Windows 7 users upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
2 weeks ago#101
nominturddaddy posted...
I remember Aero getting a lot of hate

When? I remember people saying windows 7 is the best looking OS Microsoft made though. The only one to match Mac OS aesthetics wise.

Personally I think Vista is the best looking one, but windows 7 is close.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 weeks ago#102
Comrade1914 posted...
Here's some advice. Don't bother with shills like TC.

Frankly, I would advise most people to put TC on ignore. He never posts anything constructive, just trolls all day. I don't do it myself because I don't care, I only put people on ignore if they're really disruptive, like that guy "max" something who posts with a weird font.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 weeks ago#103
I'm using an i5-4690k, I'm not particularly interested in DirectX 12 gaming, I can set Windows 7's installation up how I want it on my desktop, and all of my games function properly under Windows 7. The last two are more than can be said for Windows 10 based on my experiences with it.

Not even getting into "update" shenanigans such as the adware/forced updateware Windows 7/8(.1) users got and could opt out of which, AFAIK, Windows 10 users will have to take bareback.

Frankly, I'd like to have the option of tinkering around with DIrectX 12 games, I'd like the option of using Wallpaper Engine or GeForce Experience's video recording features without having to enable Aero, and I actually didn't mind the UI too much, but I haven't heard a thing yet that makes Windows 10 more attractive than spending 2-3 months trying to find, and learn how to use, a flavor of Linux I can tolerate. Hell, I noticed that some of the palette corruption issues faced by older titles like Starcraft and Diablo didn't crop up under Windows 10 (as much).

But hey, whatever. I mean it's not like I didn't stick around on Windows XP until just last year or something, and it's not like I didn't start using Windows 7 when it was in the RTM phase. As such it's totally not like I'm unwilling to be an early adopter for an OS and actually switch to it if I like it and feel that it's an improvement over what I was using.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: tzuyd

tzuyd
2 weeks ago#104
nominturddaddy posted...
Nah that was from middle of last year. It's fine now.

So you've Stockholm Syndromed yourself. Grats.
I sexually identify as a 100% inoffensively correct person. My pronouns are 'yes', 'uh huh' and 'absolutely'.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
2 weeks ago#105
The angst in some of these responses is palpable.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: Dyshonest

Dyshonest
2 weeks ago#106
nominturddaddy posted...
Dyshonest posted...
Tell me when Windows 10 doesn't run like hot garbage.

Done.

Dyshonest posted...
Also, tell me when I can get Aero in W10.

There's a mod for it. I always ran Windows 7 in the minimalist scheme though. I remember Aero getting a lot of hate, now it's suddenly a hot point lol
I've tried W10 recently. Runs like garbage. Frequently messes with your ability to turn off auto-updates. Every quarterly big update, whether it's a "Creator's Update" or "Anniversary Update" or whatever regularly messes with hardware and programs... it's a mess.

We're the beta testers now.

As for Aero:

It was always said to look nice. It's just that it's a performance hog. I have a good PC. I want my OS to look good too, instead of literal garbage like this Metro crap.

How do I get Aero back?

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
2 weeks ago#107
Win10 hasn't messed me up with an update since November of last year. Nothing but smooth sailing. I feel like I must be using a different Win10 from most of you, except I'm not.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 weeks ago#108
Dyshonest posted...
It was always said to look nice. It's just that it's a performance hog.

I don't know about being a "performance hog," but I do know that it, in the form of Desktop Window(s?) Manager, whine about things being sluggish/slow within 10 minutes of playing Path of Exile or Grim Dawn but wouldn't say a thing in hours if I played Skyrim, Fallout 4, Metro Last Light, or The Witcher 3.

I did notice some serious performance issues relating to Aero, mind you, such as Path of Exile going from 140 FPS to 90 FPS but "feeling" like it was being animated at 20 FPS, but that was a consequence of not rebooting my PC after enabling Aero and running GeForce Experience which, for some reason, caused the majority of that frame rate tanking despite it not doing so before enabling Aero.

Another solved-by-reboot issue that I noticed with Aero was that it would cause a significant CPU usage spike (25%) involving my i5-4690k's iGPU. I've no idea why it happened, but it had a decidedly negative impact on game performance, going from 140 FPS to 120'ish in Path of Exile. As I said, however, rebooting "fixed" that issue as well.

Beyond those I didn't really notice a big hit from Aero. I saw maybe a 10 FPS drop, 7.1% from 140 to 130, at one point in my Path of Exile testing, but most times it was 3 FPS or less.

Now if we want to get into its aesthetics and how bad they are or how irritating the fact that you have to reboot your PC every time you enable it, and probably every time you disable it, is that's a different matter that I can wholly get behind. :-D
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 weeks ago#109
nominturddaddy posted...
Win10 hasn't messed me up with an update since November of last year.

Same Here! I haven't let it update since November of last year

I only use Windows 10 for VR since there's a few programs and things that require Windows 10 to work (beyond just a simple "we want to support only the newest OS").

If I have no plans to use VR I can switch to 7.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: CommonGrackle

CommonGrackle
2 weeks ago#110
Why haven't Windows 7 users upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

because 7 does everything I want and I don't see the point in upgrading

even though one day I know I'm going to be forced to, because 7 won't be updated anymore
globalist
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why haven't Windows 7 users upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived