This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I need to worry about motherboard compatibility when upgrading GPU?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need to worry about motherboard compatibility when upgrading GPU?

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
3 weeks ago#1
I have an old Dell (XPS 435 I believe) with an i7-920 and HD4850 512MB. Just saw this GTX 1050ti for https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126172 which apparently doesn't even need a separate power connector so should be an easy upgrade without worrying about the PSU (I'm assuming the power draw will be lower than the 4850's which does require a power connector) - but do I need to worry about it being compatible with the motherboard?

Also, do to circumstances (primarily my lazyness in troubleshooting memory issues), I'm running on only 6GB RAM. Would that be an issue with the new GPU's 4GB VRAM?

Finally, what's the process for upgrading the GPU - do I need to uninstall the ATI drivers before installing the Nvidia ones? Or can I just install Nvidia drivers and Windows will not mess up which ones to use?
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#2
I'm not sure about the old prebuilt being compatible with new GPUs, but VRAM is separate from system RAM. They don't have to match.
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#3
In theory you can use any PCI-E card, but users on various forums have reported compatibility issues with older motherboards, which were solved first when they received new BIOS updates. Seems to mostly have been for LGA 1155 though.

You can just install the Nvidia drivers directly.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#4
godplaysSNES posted...
In theory you can use any PCI-E card, but users on various forums have reported compatibility issues with older motherboards, which were solved first when they received new BIOS updates. Seems to mostly have been for LGA 1155 though.

If that's the case, good luck getting a prebuilt manufacturer to update their BIOS. They have no incentive to.

EDIT:
Super Mario Kart is the worst Mario Kart (tied with the GBA version).
GPD Win PC handheld: Intel Atom X7 Z8700 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB storage, 6700mAh battery, 1280x720 resolution

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
3 weeks ago#5
godplaysSNES posted...

Thanks!

LGA 1366 is even older than LGA 1155... Maybe I should reach out to the manufacturer.
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 weeks ago#6
GoldenSun3DS posted...

Really, worse than the N64 and Wii Mario Karts? Nobody will ever believe you really think something so foolish.

EDIT: Although, it is the most skill-based game in the series, so I can see why that would be terrifying to somebody who doesn't know how to hold a controller.

TC: It is extremely rare for a motherboard to pose issues for a graphics card. I've only ever heard of one person I know having this issue and I'm still not even sure he knew what he was talking about.

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
3 weeks ago#7
The issue with new gpus and old motherboards is UEFI + Secure Boot IIRC.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#8
ElDudorino posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...

Really, worse than the N64 and Wii Mario Karts? Nobody will ever believe you really think something so foolish.

EDIT: Although, it is the most skill-based game in the series, so I can see why that would be terrifying to somebody who doesn't know how to hold a controller

It's because it's a 2D game console trying to imitate a 3D game. The controls are just absolutely terrible.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 weeks ago#9
The controls? The controls have never significantly changed in the Mario Kart series, other than oddities like the Wii controller. The main changes to the gameplay have been the drafting and modified drifting mechanics as well as the "losing sometimes means winning" items and the addition of hardcore rubber-banding for the bots.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#10
I googled it a bit and it seems like many users in your situation have had most luck with MSI cards with a BIOS switch, or Sapphire which says it has dual BIOS.

This card might work.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/catapage_pd.asp?cataid=69&lang=eng

Later series than the 300 cards and MSI's latest Nvidia cards don't mention the feature specifically, so it might not be supported anymore.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need to worry about motherboard compatibility when upgrading GPU?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived