This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I need to worry about motherboard compatibility when upgrading GPU?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need to worry about motherboard compatibility when upgrading GPU?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#11
Well I think there's one certain thing we can all learn from this topic.
There's apparently no other person in the world who knows the first thing about Mario Kart!

Everyone knows DS is the most skill-centric(and best) Mario Kart, and Wii or Double Dash are at the bottom of the pile.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#12
why would someone think they could get away with suggesting Mario Kart 64 is the worst one? i don't even care if its true, n64 games are untouchable due to nostalgia for 95% of this board.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#13
DarkZV2Beta posted...
There's apparently no other person in the world who knows the first thing about Mario Kart!

Everyone knows DS is the most skill-centric(and best) Mario Kart, and Wii or Double Dash are at the bottom of the pile.

I never put much time into the DS version. But one thing that tells you how punishing Super Mario Kart is, is that when you get shot during a jump and fall down, you have to drive all the way to the jump again.
Whereas in the later games, you just get put back right before the jump.

A driving mistake or getting hit by a shell is also much more punishing in SMK, it doesn't overload you with good items like the later games.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
3 weeks ago#14
In Mario Kart 7 I have a Triple-Star rating on all Cups on all difficulties.
In SMK, MK64, and Super Circuit I struggle to even stay on the road.

From Wii onwards the mechanics and physics were massively improved. Drifting in particular feels much more natural. Helps that Wii has the Mach Bike, which can take even the tightest turns at max speed with ease.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
3 weeks ago#15
godplaysSNES posted...
I googled it a bit and it seems like many users in your situation have had most luck with MSI cards with a BIOS switch, or Sapphire which says it has dual BIOS.

This card might work.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/catapage_pd.asp?cataid=69&lang=eng

Later series than the 300 cards and MSI's latest Nvidia cards don't mention the feature specifically, so it might not be supported anymore.

Thanks, that's useful info!

Also helped me come across https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=280097.0 where they say there's more to the cards not working than just legacy bios support.

I think I'll just keep the system as is then, and build or purchase a new rig when I get around to it.
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
3 weeks ago#16
Ya you cant use a current gen gpu like the gtx 10 series without a Z71 Fx4 motherboard
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: hunter1235

hunter1235
3 weeks ago#17
I ran a GTX 1070 on an Intel DP55WG which was with an Intel i5 750 on the 1156 platform, worked without a hitch at all and performes really well
PC: i7 7700k | 1080 Strix | Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 | 240GB 850 & 840EVO | WD 500GB HD - Phanteks EVOLV TG - Asus Z270e - Corsair AX860 - Acer Xb271HU

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 weeks ago#18
HeliosMagi posted...
In Mario Kart 7 I have a Triple-Star rating on all Cups on all difficulties.
In SMK, MK64, and Super Circuit I struggle to even stay on the road.

From Wii onwards the mechanics and physics were massively improved. Drifting in particular feels much more natural. Helps that Wii has the Mach Bike, which can take even the tightest turns at max speed with ease.

In Mario Kart 7 you don't lose because of the tracks, you lose because of bad luck with blue shells. I don't consider it an improvement that they made it super-easy to navigate the tracks without making mistakes.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
and Wii or Double Dash are at the bottom of the pile.

Did you just lump Double Dash with the Wii game? DD is leagues ahead of MK Wii! Parsecs, even! Feel free to use that as a measurement of either distance or time in this case.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#19
godplaysSNES posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I never put much time into the DS version. But one thing that tells you how punishing Super Mario Kart is, is that when you get shot during a jump and fall down, you have to drive all the way to the jump again.
Whereas in the later games, you just get put back right before the jump.

A driving mistake or getting hit by a shell is also much more punishing in SMK, it doesn't overload you with good items like the later games.

That may be, but punishing gameplay isn't what makes a game skill-centric. The intricate driving physics and courses are what make Mario Kart DS the clear winner of the series.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need to worry about motherboard compatibility when upgrading GPU?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived