This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

User Info: gideond

gideond
3 weeks ago#11
You'd be surprised how many of these big companies work together to keep prices inflated across the board. There are far fewer markets than there should be where you actually have decent competition between providers. This is partially by design. They get together and make deals to keep prices high and not encroach on each other's territories because the cost of build out for a company new to the area is going to inflate their prices well above the company that has existing infrastructure in the area. Work together to a degree and everyone but the consumer profits and you get to claim you don't have a monopoly in the market.

Personally I'd like to see the government able to build out actual fiber optic networks and then allow any provider that wants to provide service over those lines do so. Not going to happen so long as the big money corporations are allowed to lobby these sorts of issues off the table. Instead of protecting the people by creating a level playing field, the government is just enabling the abusers.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#12
Player_10 posted...
yohabroha posted...
Voidgolem posted...
The right wing screws everything up again?

Look, as it stands we're going to be the consumers that potentially get f***ed by NN going away, but here's the thing - the government shouldn't be controlling this s*** to begin with. Call me a free market shill, but the market will correct itself if companies are going to be s***bags immediately after gaining control

When a companies start charging outrageous prices, people will just go elsewhere.
They'll just be shooting their own self in the foot.

Yeah, right up until they all just agree to charge a ton of money. Your ISP will lobby to block any new isp's in your area from opening and you'll be screwed. It's coming

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#13
Player_10 posted...
When a companies start charging outrageous prices, people will just go elsewhere.

Go elsewhere? Where the f*** is elsewhere? Most people do not have more than one choice. If they do it's often something like Comcast or 2003 DSL. Or AT&T/Comcast, who would simply work together to have similar prices so you have no better value. They don't compete with each other they only pretend to.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#14
Not to mention how often they sue the s*** out of people who try to build competing ISPs. How often they buy out local Governments to ban people from doing that exact thing.

User Info: Player_10

Player_10
3 weeks ago#15
Samurai_Man posted...
Why are we letting a man named "Ajit Pai" make these decisions....Last time I checked this was America, not Dubai or India

More outsourcing to bad costumer service!
Would you like to hear a tale, of a little girl name Kale?
She always wondered, whatever happened to Her tail?! *o*

User Info: Player_10

Player_10
3 weeks ago#16
JustAndrew88 posted...
Player_10 posted...

Go elsewhere? Where the f*** is elsewhere? Most people do not have more than one choice. If they do it's often something like Comcast or 2003 DSL. Or AT&T/Comcast, who would simply work together to have similar prices so you have no better value. They don't compete with each other they only pretend to.

Satellite
Would you like to hear a tale, of a little girl name Kale?
She always wondered, whatever happened to Her tail?! *o*

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
3 weeks ago#17
Without "net neutrality", my internet is 100x faster than it used to be, and is 300% cheaper.

Screw "net neutrality"

Net neutrality = government control of the internet.
You think DMV is bad ??
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5
(edited 3 weeks ago)

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#18
Player_10 posted...
Satellite

LOL you for real man? Satellite has basically just caught up with the internet we had 15 years ago.

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#19
Born Lucky posted...
Without "net neutrality", my internet is 100x faster than it used to be, and is 300% cheaper.

Screw "net neutrality"

Hang on what? Are you trying to claim that your internet slowed down when Net Neutrality was implemented by Wheeler? Because that's ridiculous. During the time Net Neutrality has been in place I've had AT&T install fiber in my neighborhood. And they went quick as hell too. Because they know they're behind the times and if competition is allowed to spring up they'll be royally f***ed.

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
3 weeks ago#20
Oh boy, this net neutrality s*** is on here too.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.