This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

User Info: Samurai_Man

Samurai_Man
3 weeks ago#121
Got -3 karma points for making fun of the head of the FCC's name lol, the mods around here are such politically correct nintendo/sony fan boys its hilarious.
It's your friendly neighborhood Samurai Man.

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
3 weeks ago#122
This is about money. It's always been about money. The ISP's have carte blanche to do whatever they want now. I was reading on NBC, where one of the big ISP CEO's said we will not block, throttle lawful content.

Take note that he said "lawful". What this means is that they're going to re-jigger their service so that you're hearded like sheep where THEY want you to go. To big MSM, big streaming, big shopping. They control your minds and control your wallets.

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#123
BrokenMachine85 posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
Gotta score ponts for our respective teams after all.

The internet in particular seems more interested in arguing over which side is right rather than actually trying to fix something. And in the case of Net Neutrality it seems sillier - that people are arguing over who's righter than the other. Or maybe who's fault all this is.

Doesn't freakin matter. All that matters is it *doesn't happen at all*.

People seem angry, and rightly so, but aren't sure how to channel that anger into energy to do something positive with.

Surely there must be a mass petition or rally/ protest you can all attend. Maybe collectively refuse to pay your internet bills until this is resolved? I'm not an American so I'm not 'in the mix' like all of you posters.

You are right, people are angry. But it's not that they don't know what to do with it. They know damn well what to do with it. People just can't be assed to do so because even with all the internet turmoil our lives are pretty damn alright.

Just like in every other place in the history of the world, people won't take action until it's too late. Especially when you've got healthcare (despite all the b****ing, you can get almost everything taken care of for free in america), cheap access to internet and cell phones (nn repeal may make it less affordable but even at double the current cost it's still quite affordable), subsidized and assisted living, heat, and food.

Contrary to what all of the people on the internet want to scream about you actually can make it just fine in this country without a great wage. Sure you might not get to eat out at great restaurants or buy the newest toys, but there are tons of areas around the country with low enough costs of living to make it just fine.

Most rational people aren't angry because we have it bad here in America. They are angry because we "could" "probably" have it better.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 weeks ago#124
Player_10 posted...
When a companies start charging outrageous prices, people will just go elsewhere.
They'll just be shooting their own self in the foot.

You realize, of course, that a huge portion of the US doesn't actually *have* more than one or two choices? Here, I have Comcast or AT&T - I'm lucky, even though AT&T is the worst company ever so I'm basically stuck with Comcast. A lot of places in the area though *only* have AT&T available. Their option is however AT&T decides to screw them, or nothing. And it's like that a lot of places.

The line about how breaking up charges however they want allowing them to "expand service" into more rural areas is a load of horse s***. Limiting net access will do exactly nothing to help them expand infrastructure. All it does is screw over customers who have no other options.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
3 weeks ago#125
The sad part is there are people defending this with "well there are worse problems in the world!" So what...that doesn't negate how atrocious this could wind up being.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#126
LazyyAmerican posted...
The sad part is there are people defending this with "well there are worse problems in the world!" So what...that doesn't negate how atrocious this could wind up being.

I don't think anyone is doing that. Unless I missed a post.

What I did see was people saying that out of all the horrible things happening on the planet it's ridiculous that raising your internet bill a bit gets people so fired up over NN but people can't be bothered to fight for against other atrocious behaviors.

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
3 weeks ago#127
atrocious behaviour like using whataboutism to try to snuff outrage?
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 weeks ago#128
Taken from a Redditor that has put together a nice summary of the times net neutrality was abused;

/u/Skrattybones

2005 - Madison River Communications was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it.

2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers.

2007-2009 - AT&T was having Skype and other VOIPs blocked because they didn't like there was competition for their cellphones. 2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube. (edit: they actually sued the FCC over this)

2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their bulls***. edit: this one happened literally months after the trio were busted collaborating with Google to block apps from the android marketplace

2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction. (edit: they were fined $1.25million over this)

2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money.

2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place.

This matters guys. The shady stuff that will be possible with the loss of net neutrality will have a huge impact on the internet as we know it.

The current net neutrality rules do need tweaking I'm sure but having less regulation will actually do a lot more harm than good. Almost all of us agree we need policing in our cities, and laws for citizens to adhere to. Why is it that corporations get a free pass when it comes to abolishing fair rules like this? The internet is currently as free as it can be and they want to take away your internet freedom. Come on America, get mad and fight back. They are actually attacking your freedoms on the internet. Paying a fee to access the entirety of the internet is the best way to uphold free speech and keep the open market fair.

Cable is failing bad and this is a desperate move to get back control over the media. Don't let it work. I don't even live in America and I'm incredibly angry at this. Its been pushed back several times and anyone even a bit educated on the matter is against it (aside from those looking to cash in on the change).
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive
Steam: DV8ing1

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#129
2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place.

There's a little bit of misleading information going on with this one because the current net neutrality rules that are getting repealed did not go into effect until 2015. So whatever was keeping Verizon at bay there wasn't Net Neutrality as we knew it post-2015.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 weeks ago#130
yohabroha posted...

There's a little bit of misleading information going on with this one because the current net neutrality rules that are getting repealed did not go into effect until 2015. So whatever was keeping Verizon at bay there wasn't Net Neutrality as we knew it post-2015.

Was a poor rewording I think.

https://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/2013/09/18/verizons-plan-break-internet

“I’m authorized to state from my client today,” Verizon attorney Walker said, “that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.”
In regards to cable style 'tiers'

You need to understand that these laws were discussed long before they were enacted. You can't design a tier type system when you know that won't even be legal soon.
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive
Steam: DV8ing1
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.