This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#31
yohabroha posted...
uhh considering its not a free market right now, i don't know how you expect the free market to already be in place. also, the point of the free market isn't specifically to create new giants. when i was living in Santa Cruz 2 years ago the company Cruzio came busting into the city forcing Comcast to lower their prices. the local government helped them provide infrastructure by paying us to throw conduit down for them as we dug our utilities through the city streets. its not impossible, but it doesn't happen on a macro scale overnight.

It's been a free market for many many many years. I'm sure you've heard about this but don't you remember in the 90s when ISPS were given a large amount of tax payer money to begin building fiber networks in the country? They didn't. And that money didn't go back into tax payer pockets.

Also one example of a local Government doing the right thing doesn't help us here. Many others have been bought by big ISPs to stop smaller companies from competing. For God's sake they've sued cities themselves to stop the actual people from creating their own internet service in their own city.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#32
JustAndrew88 posted...
yohabroha posted...
uhh considering its not a free market right now, i don't know how you expect the free market to already be in place. also, the point of the free market isn't specifically to create new giants. when i was living in Santa Cruz 2 years ago the company Cruzio came busting into the city forcing Comcast to lower their prices. the local government helped them provide infrastructure by paying us to throw conduit down for them as we dug our utilities through the city streets. its not impossible, but it doesn't happen on a macro scale overnight.

It's been a free market for many many many years. I'm sure you've heard about this but don't you remember in the 90s when ISPS were given a large amount of tax payer money to begin building fiber networks in the country? They didn't. And that money didn't go back into tax payer pockets.

Also one example of a local Government doing the right thing doesn't help us here. Many others have been bought by big ISPs to stop smaller companies from competing. For God's sake they've sued cities themselves to stop the actual people from creating their own internet service in their own city.

wow its almost like the government shouldn't be dealing with these ISPs at all. and no, it isn't a free market if you even admit that the government is allowing themselves to get bent over and controlled by the companies. i don't understand how you can have so many contradictions in your own thought process here.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#33
Hey due to the high cost of internet now, no more trolls on gamefaqs.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#34
yohabroha posted...
wow its almost like the government shouldn't be dealing with these ISPs at all

Or it's almost like these ISPS are scummy pieces of rich trash who care nothing about the consumer and only about lining their pockets further. They will absolutely not improve service or lower prices if they are left in control. We're miles behind so many other countries when it comes to internet. And I can tell you it's not because of Net Neutrality. Net Neutrality hasn't even been around for that long now. These companies have had years upon years to improve service and do the right thing. They don't. Because they have no reason to because they can simply buy their way out of trouble.

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#35
then don't let them buy their way out of trouble by being entangled with the government
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#36
yohabroha posted...
then don't let them buy their way out of trouble by being entangled with the government

And how do you propose to stop that? The best way to keep these companies in check is by having Net Neutrality. That way they can't throttle, they can't restrict access, there will be nothing for them to do except compete. The way they should've been for the last 20+ years.

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#37
JustAndrew88 posted...
yohabroha posted...

And how do you propose to stop that?

by separating them from government control dear lord am i getting trolled here

the best way to keep these companies in check is the f***ing consumer. "oh, i know you're upset that these are our practices but the government you voted for that doesn't actually pass laws you want them to said its okay so too bad" vs. "oh, well we're kind of just doing these practices because we want to so go somewhere else"

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#38
if the government has control of them there will always be the fight to weasel their way out and have their way with government through the promise of money. if there's no agreement between the two, the government throws their hands up whenever the big ISPs come to them whining about upstarts taking their businesses. give the ISPs what they think they want for once and watch it blow up in their faces.

JustAndrew88
3 weeks ago#39
And you keep forgetting that MOST PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE. THERE IS NO COMPETITION TO SPEAK OF. If you live in a major city or around it you might have 2 or 3 choices. Which is already crap. If you live further out you're lucky to have 2. There is no f***ing where to switch to when there's no competition around. There are a few major ISPs who have no competition and constantly buy their way into having none. Government regulation stops them from f***ing doing this. Because they can't f***ing be trusted to do the right thing on their own. THEY NEVER HAVE!

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#40
Government regulation stops them from doing this, yet despite being regulated by the government they're currently doing it. how in the absolute f*** do you not see this logic
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.