This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Belgium Government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Belgium Government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

User Info: myztikrice

myztikrice
3 weeks ago#11
KaizerLaw posted...
I hate lootboxes, but i disagree with this idea that they are "gambling".

How do you disagree? You pay money for a random chance of winning something. How is that not gambling?
"Why are you always smiling?"
"'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical."

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#12
myztikrice posted...
KaizerLaw posted...

How do you disagree? You pay money for a random chance of winning something. How is that not gambling?

No, you pay money for a randomized item. You're ALWAYS going to get something for that money. In a lot of cases the value of the item you get is exactly the same regardless of what you get. There's no element of risk involved in those cases. Now, if you've got lootboxes that grant items of unequal value that you can profit from, that's a different scenario.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#13
Orestes417 posted...
myztikrice posted...
KaizerLaw posted...

No, you pay money for a randomized item. You're ALWAYS going to get something for that money. In a lot of cases the value of the item you get is exactly the same regardless of what you get. There's no element of risk involved in those cases. Now, if you've got lootboxes that grant items of unequal value that you can profit from, that's a different scenario.

Even if true, don't fight it, no one likes the lootboxes.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#14
captsplatter_1 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
myztikrice posted...
KaizerLaw posted...

Even if true, don't fight it, no one likes the lootboxes.

I'm completely neutral on the lootboxes, and frankly I'd rather have a setup like Overwatch selling cosmetic fluff in random boxes than I would CoD style DLC whoring or inflated prices on directly buying the same skins exclusively from the store. When it starts to be things that alter game balance is when it crosses a line. Or when it starts facilitating literal gambling as in CS:GO's lootcases.

User Info: loader963

loader963
3 weeks ago#15
Belgium made the wrong call. If there were loot boxes that were empty, they would have a point.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
3 weeks ago#16
loader963 posted...
Belgium made the wrong call. If there were loot boxes that were empty, they would have a point.

Getting something for a character you never use is equivalent to an empty box.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#17
nominturddaddy posted...
loader963 posted...

Getting something for a character you never use is equivalent to an empty box.

It most certainly is not. The item may be less desirable to you, but it's still an item.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#18
Gambling in the US usually requires that you win money or something of monetary value back. You don't with Battlefront. If certain things in the crate could be resold then you might have a case. But EA in the US has nothing to worry about.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#19
It'd actually probably be easier going after them for predatory marketing to minors.

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
3 weeks ago#20
myztikrice posted...
KaizerLaw posted...

The closest example to lootboxes is blindbags and card packs, which can have actual material items that are considered rare/valuable and can be sold for a cash profit.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Belgium Government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived