This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Belgium Government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Belgium Government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

User Info: Cobra1010

Cobra1010
3 weeks ago#21
Its f***ing annoying when you pay money but you dont know what your getting.

Just sell the f***ing power ups and cheats in the store. Instead of conning me into paying hundreds or dollars for duplicates just let me buy power ups i want.
GG Riot - http://i.imgur.com/PinGPhR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png

User Info: KaizerLaw

KaizerLaw
3 weeks ago#22
myztikrice posted...
KaizerLaw posted...
I hate lootboxes, but i disagree with this idea that they are "gambling".

How do you disagree? You pay money for a random chance of winning something. How is that not gambling?
Gambling implies that you can win real $. These lootboxes just give you virtual items.
Just because something functions mechanically like a slot machine dosnt automatically mean it is gambling.

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
3 weeks ago#23
captsplatter_1 posted...
KaizerLaw posted...

Well if it gets rid of them, whatever.

knowing some publishers these days theyll just cut out the option to buy the loot boxes for cash to people in the affected country just to work as a loophole. and still theyd probably cash in off people using proxies or whatever
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: AtmosOmega

AtmosOmega
3 weeks ago#24
KaizerLaw posted...

It's technically true that it isn't "gambling", because in real gambling you can always cash out what you get. With loot boxes, you aren't assured that.

So in practice, the distinction between the Gacha and Gambling is meaningless because the player's willingness to engage in it runs off the same exact addict-psychology, and carries the same consequences if unchecked.
If you don't like what a gaming company is trying to force upon you and the market, don't buy that company's games.
Cruel DRM can only flourish if you let it.
The cranky hermit 3 weeks ago#25
KaizerLaw posted...
Gambling implies that you can win real $

I suspect that the Belgian Gaming Commission knows more about Belgian gambling laws than you do.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#26
AtmosOmega posted...
It's technically true that it isn't "gambling", because in real gambling you can always cash out what you get. With loot boxes, you aren't assured that.

You got it backwards. In gambling there's a risk of losing. There's no such thing with the lootboxes. You might not get what you want but you ALWAYS get something in return for your money.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: KaizerLaw

KaizerLaw
3 weeks ago#27
The cranky hermit posted...
KaizerLaw posted...
Gambling implies that you can win real $

I suspect that the Belgian Gaming Commission knows more about Belgian gambling laws than you do.
Perhaps Belgian gambling laws are bull****.

User Info: Nixemo

Nixemo
3 weeks ago#28
To everyone saying they aren't gambling: go search the definition of gambling. The only reason the ESRB didn't come to the same result is that they're in the pockets of the game industry who profits heavily off of this s***e. Let's bring real unlockable items back to games and do away with this abhorrent practice.
Listen to post-punk.
The cranky hermit 3 weeks ago#29
KaizerLaw posted...
Perhaps Belgian gambling laws are bull****.

If I want an opinion, I'll ask someone who has an idea of what they actually are.

Nixemo posted...
To everyone saying they aren't gambling: go search the definition of gambling.

Trick question - legally there isn't one. Every state is allowed its own definition, and other countries' may differ.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
3 weeks ago#30
AtmosOmega posted...
because in real gambling you can always cash out what you get. With loot boxes, you aren't assured that.

In pure gambling the whole point is making money. You don't go to the horse track looking to find a sword.

With random game loot the primary purpose is progressing in the game. While markets can rise up from it that I would consider illegal or requiring regulation, if there are reasonable restrictions (like tying loot to accounts) then it is hard to call it the same thing imo.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Belgium Government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived