This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

US government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. US government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

User Info: kyosuke34

kyosuke34
3 weeks ago#111
Personally I just speak in the only language they understand, my wallet lol. I have yet to buy a single game that has loot boxes and never will. I will leave shilling to other gamers with no self control lol. Plenty of other great games out there to keep me entertained .
The MMO genre is amazingly stagnant. It makes money, but creatively speaking, it's dead.

User Info: Premium

Premium
3 weeks ago#112
Trust it to be Americans to moan about positive consumer protection action, whether direct or indirect.

The only hope is that more and more of you lot hopefully wise up to all the s***ty practices that corporations get away with in the US. It's hard enough as it is to stop it from spreading, sometimes it's even too late to stop.
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 weeks ago#113
Premium posted...
Trust it to be Americans to moan about positive consumer protection action, whether direct or indirect.

The only hope is that more and more of you lot hopefully wise up to all the s***ty practices that corporations get away with in the US. It's hard enough as it is to stop it from spreading, sometimes it's even too late to stop.

They elected the king of evil corporations as their president. It's hopeless. Evidently Americans want corporate evil and greed controlling their lives
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 weeks ago#114
DV8ingSources posted...
It does have value and you can see it on the marketplace.

But why does it have value? ONLY because someone else is willing to pay that amount for it. If nobody is willing to pay the asking price, it does not actually have the value of the asking price (except maybe to the seller). ALL of that is 100% subjective. There is absolutely no objective, inherent value in the knife skin.

DV8ingSources posted...
Point is, being able to trade and sell brings value to even digital goods. Being unable to do those things means that your opinion on something having value only being personal in nature, is true.

The problem is, even if something can be traded or sold, the value of that thing is 100% subjective - personal in nature. It can only be sold for what somebody else is subjectively/personally willing to pay for it. It holds no inherent value.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
3 weeks ago#115
ImaPC posted...
TheNemesis posted...
IMO Overwatch should just ditch loot boxes and go the way of Heroes of the Storm and let us just buy what we want directly. Charge more for premium stuff but just let us buy what we want.

Heroes of the Storm is nothing like that now. It's totally loot box driven. Outside of the small handful of items that are on "special" every week that you can buy with gems, you can't just straight up buy what you want. You need to "craft" items with shards, and the only way to get small amounts of shards is by getting duplicate items in loot boxes.

Blizzard is one of the worst offenders in gaming now.

They're so bad they gave me over five times as many skins as I owned before the loot changes! Those monsters!

The worst part of it is I hadn't spent any real money on the skins since the loot boxes got put in because they kept giving me everything for playing the game. I mean, who does that, seriously?
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

User Info: phantasy

phantasy
3 weeks ago#116
ClunkerSlim posted...
Orestes417 posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...
It’s manipulative and predatory... but it’s not really gambling.

“Gambling” in the US requires that you have a chance to win something of monetary value back (cash, car, etc.) But BattleFront doesn’t give you the opportunity to resell anything from the crates. There’s no monetary value to it. This isn’t like CSGO Skins.

There’s an RNG element to what you’re buying. But it’s no different than walking into Toys R Us and buying one of those Blind Bag figures. No one would call that gambling in the eyes of US law. You pay money for Battlefront content and then you get a piece of randomized Battlefront content. That’s not gambling here in the US.

Now it’s definitely manipulative as f*** the way the game is designed to make you spend money. I think that alone should earn the game an M rating from the ESRB. I think any game with micro transactions should automatically be rated M to try and keep them out of children’s hands. It’s like this entire system is built to take advantage of kids and teens who aren’t responsible enough yet with their money.

Bingo.

Don't stores have to disclose the minimum value of the bag? I know the capcom booth at pax always disclose the value of the bag upfront meaning what you pay you will get your money's worth or more. So you know exactly what you are getting.

Reminds me of them loot crate monthly subscription thing. You know you will get $20 worth of items just don't know what.
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#117
SinisterSlay posted...
Premium posted...

They elected the king of evil corporations as their president. It's hopeless. Evidently Americans want corporate evil and greed controlling their lives

If a company owns a game they are selling then it's their freedom to make that game every bit as s***ty as they want to. It's our freedom not to purchase it.

If there's any "being controlled by corporations" going on in America it's because people don't have the self control to not purchase the things, not because our government is failing to control them. - At least as far as voluntary s*** like video games is concerned.

User Info: Premium

Premium
3 weeks ago#118
That's because it's all become so institutionalised and s*** there to the extent that people are basically conditioned into believe it's perfectly fine to be shafted like that.

Steam being made to offer refunds was decreed as the second coming of the red terror to some of you.
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 weeks ago#119
BearShrooms posted...
If there's any "being controlled by corporations" going on in America it's because people don't have the self control to not purchase the things

Maybe as far as loot boxes and games and stuff, but when the government is looking at borrowing trillions more dollars from China, and giving it to the richest people in America, placing the US further in debt, all while giving those same rich bastards additional tax cuts and stuff for outsourcing jobs to China rather than hiring Americans or paying them a fair wage, there is something to this whole "America is being controlled by corporations" idea.

Considering the fact that corporations (or their heads) are the only ones with enough money to influence congress and buy laws like these, we pretty much are entirely ruled by corporations. Net neutrality being done away with? Nobody but corporations benefit from us - screwing over common people for corporations. Tax cuts for the rich? Those people are typically heads of corporations, so again, placing more burden on lower and middle class while helping corporations. Screwing over common people for corporations. And so on.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 weeks ago#120
KillerTruffle posted...
But why does it have value? ONLY because someone else is willing to pay that amount for it. If nobody is willing to pay the asking price, it does not actually have the value of the asking price (except maybe to the seller). ALL of that is 100% subjective. There is absolutely no objective, inherent value in the knife skin.

What is your point? Absolutely everything is priced subjectively in our lives. Yes there are costs to creating physical things but there are also costs to creating digital items as well. What the problem truly is, is that corporations are artificially limiting supply to create more demand. They could easily give every single player all the content ever made for no real extra cost but instead they limit these digital goods behind chance schemes that they can charge money for. Its disgusting.

Value has always been subjective for every good you've ever bought past the actual manufacturing costs. Market value is a term used to judge value and thats due to what the market will bear. Artificially limiting digital goods has worked wonders on fools. I don't see it slowing down at all unless we actually take a stand somehow. There is 0 reason that a CSGO digital knife should have value... but a fool and their money.
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive
Steam: DV8ing1
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. US government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived