This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

US government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. US government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

User Info: TheNemesis

TheNemesis
3 weeks ago#51
IMO Overwatch should just ditch loot boxes and go the way of Heroes of the Storm and let us just buy what we want directly. Charge more for premium stuff but just let us buy what we want.
PC: AMD FX-9590, 16 GB RAM, EVGA GTX 970

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#52
lightningbugx posted...
You know how to get some of this to pass through Congress? Suggest that calling loot crates gambling will hurt the video game industry enough to cause people to turn back to physical sports for entertainment.

Lol. game companies have money to pay lobbyists, kids playing ball outside don't. You want to get congress interested suggest lootboxes are facilitating money laundering and tax evasion. THAT will raise their eyebrows.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: ImaPC

ImaPC
3 weeks ago#53
TheNemesis posted...
IMO Overwatch should just ditch loot boxes and go the way of Heroes of the Storm and let us just buy what we want directly. Charge more for premium stuff but just let us buy what we want.

Heroes of the Storm is nothing like that now. It's totally loot box driven. Outside of the small handful of items that are on "special" every week that you can buy with gems, you can't just straight up buy what you want. You need to "craft" items with shards, and the only way to get small amounts of shards is by getting duplicate items in loot boxes.

Blizzard is one of the worst offenders in gaming now.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 weeks ago#54
It’s manipulative and predatory... but it’s not really gambling.

“Gambling” in the US requires that you have a chance to win something of monetary value back (cash, car, etc.) But BattleFront doesn’t give you the opportunity to resell anything from the crates. There’s no monetary value to it. This isn’t like CSGO Skins.

There’s an RNG element to what you’re buying. But it’s no different than walking into Toys R Us and buying one of those Blind Bag figures. No one would call that gambling in the eyes of US law. You pay money for Battlefront content and then you get a piece of randomized Battlefront content. That’s not gambling here in the US.

Now it’s definitely manipulative as f*** the way the game is designed to make you spend money. I think that alone should earn the game an M rating from the ESRB. I think any game with micro transactions should automatically be rated M to try and keep them out of children’s hands. It’s like this entire system is built to take advantage of kids and teens who aren’t responsible enough yet with their money.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#55
ClunkerSlim posted...
It’s manipulative and predatory... but it’s not really gambling.

“Gambling” in the US requires that you have a chance to win something of monetary value back (cash, car, etc.) But BattleFront doesn’t give you the opportunity to resell anything from the crates. There’s no monetary value to it. This isn’t like CSGO Skins.

There’s an RNG element to what you’re buying. But it’s no different than walking into Toys R Us and buying one of those Blind Bag figures. No one would call that gambling in the eyes of US law. You pay money for Battlefront content and then you get a piece of randomized Battlefront content. That’s not gambling here in the US.

Now it’s definitely manipulative as f*** the way the game is designed to make you spend money. I think that alone should earn the game an M rating from the ESRB. I think any game with micro transactions should automatically be rated M to try and keep them out of children’s hands. It’s like this entire system is built to take advantage of kids and teens who aren’t responsible enough yet with their money.

Bingo.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
3 weeks ago#56
Where are all of the a******s that said "oh loot boxes aren't gambling!!!". WHERE ARE YOU NOW?! I told them this s*** is going to come down, especially since EA did this s*** with one of the biggest franchises on the planet. I'm glad Disney allowed EA to use the license. Otherwise this s*** would still be overlooked.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#57
sonicteam2k1 posted...
Where are all of the a******s that said "oh loot boxes aren't gambling!!!". WHERE ARE YOU NOW?! I told them this s*** is going to come down, especially since EA did this s*** with one of the biggest franchises on the planet. I'm glad Disney allowed EA to use the license. Otherwise this s*** would still be overlooked.

You do realize that just because the government of Hawaii claimed it to be something doesn't mean it actually is, right? I mean, it probably is, but if it is so is literally any other thing you pay for where the outcome isn't guaranteed.

Also, why is it the governments responsibility to stop this? Should you just, ya know, not buy the game if you don't want it? Or parent your children rather than relying on someone else to do it? I'd much rather the government focus on real problems rather than silly ass video games.

User Info: learjet777

learjet777
3 weeks ago#58
Good!!

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
3 weeks ago#59
BearShrooms posted...
sonicteam2k1 posted...

You do realize that just because the government of Hawaii claimed it to be something doesn't mean it actually is, right? I mean, it probably is, but if it is so is literally any other thing you pay for where the outcome isn't guaranteed.

Also, why is it the governments responsibility to stop this? Should you just, ya know, not buy the game if you don't want it? Or parent your children rather than relying on someone else to do it? I'd much rather the government focus on real problems rather than silly ass video games.

no, it's gambling not because he declared it, it's because it IS gambling. Consideration, chance, and value is all that is needed for something to be gambling. And if it's gambling, then it IS the government's job to regulate it because they regulate gambling, which can become harmful not only to a child and people with addictions, but it can also hurt the entire economy.

So get that dumb s*** out of here.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 weeks ago#60
SinisterSlay posted...
Without the chance to win something of monetary value. It's not gambling. It does however exploit gambling tendencies. Gambling can be fun. That's why so many older games had slot machine mini games that used in game money.

However, i think lootboxes are more insidious than gambling. With gambling you have a chance to make your money back. With lootboxes you always lose.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. US government declares Loot Boxes to be Gambling.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived