This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

User Info: Shebeskii

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#1
Just to get the board up to speed, it seems Win10 memory management, specifically how Win10 handles "standby memory" (think superfetch for faster OS and apps) causes stutter in games.

The issue seems to be that while Windows 10 is great at filling RAM, it's really bad at dumping memory for application use.

The bug occurs when you no longer have free RAM left.

For example when Forza uses 8GB, and your remaining 8GB is standby (superfetch) data, Windows 10 completely mismanages this situation, failing to dump the standby memory to allow further game assets to be loaded. Instead what happens is the OS constantly fights to keep the RAM filled with standby data, causing noticeable hitching in any game that is running, as long as your combined active and standby fill your entire RAM pool.

This can happen in any game, and as far as I can tell this will happen on every single Windows 10 system with 16GB of RAM under conditions where the system has been on long enough to accrue a large standby pool and you're running a game with a large enough memory foot print.

There's been a lot of noise made about stuttering since the first Creators update, which has continued with the Fall Creators update. It seems the brunt of all stuttering issues since Creators have been down to this absolute disaster of a change to memory management in Windows 10.

And I repeat, it seems it affects all systems with modest amounts of RAM, but could probably be induced on 32GB systems if you tried hard enough. Most people don't seem to notice the stutters, but G sync users have been able to spot them much more readily than everyone else. This lead to everyone believing the problem was with G sync, but it isn't, we're just the canary in the coal mine for a rather significant software engineering issue at the moment.

Not all games are affected equally. Some titles, like Assassin's Creed: Origins rarely exhibit the problem on a 16GB system because they're fairly memory light. It's very much dependent on how large of a memory footprint the game has, how long your system has been on for, and what apps and installation processes you've run since last boot. For example Steam game installation files will be put into standby and induce this issue extremely quickly.

Finally, the issue is confirmed because clearing of standby memory completely resolves the issue. The problem is 100% reproducible and can be resolved using a piece of software called RAMMap.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
3 weeks ago#2
So in short in order to 'mitigate' this particular issue until MS comes up with a more permanent solution is to restart the PC frequently?

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
3 weeks ago#3
W10 never fails to surprise me, lolzz

User Info: brotrrwinner

brotrrwinner
3 weeks ago#4
There's a really neat trick that solves pretty much all the problems that come with Windows 10:

Use Windows 7 instead
September 21st, 2008
Never forget

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
3 weeks ago#5
You are supposed to not give a f*** and buy the most overpriced under specced prebuilt available and gloat about the new Windows OS.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: Stallion_Prime

Stallion_Prime
3 weeks ago#6
Is that why battlefield 4 is running like s*** for me?
-Hunter1534
http://abload.de/img/powercdkcb.gif

User Info: MarketingDept

MarketingDept
3 weeks ago#7
brotrrwinner posted...
There's a really neat trick that solves pretty much all the problems that come with Windows 10:

Use Windows 7 instead

Delete this.

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
3 weeks ago#8
Rammap has been around for a very long time because windows has had this issue long before Win10. This is why people who tend to leave their computers on for ages get less performance in a lot of things than they should, but end up not noticing cause they never restart their system. So the reduced performance is their norm. And often, Rammap does not clear correctly, and the system must be restarted. I've noticed it on my own PCs, WIN 10 desktop and Win7 laptop.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: 2DJunky

2DJunky
3 weeks ago#9
OP I had that same problem with Win7 with a lot of games...but ever since I switched to Win10 I don't have it anymore.
Dell Inspiron 15 5566 (15.6") / i3-7100U / 6GB RAM / 120GB SSD

User Info: Nixemo

Nixemo
3 weeks ago#10
brotrrwinner posted...

Use Windows 7 instead

QFT
"Staying in the same place, just staying out the time,
touching from a distance, further all the time."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived