This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#11
Tag

I think im having this issue on win7 with Chinese paladin 6.

I will try rammap and restart and if they dont work, vista, XP 32bit, and 10.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
3 weeks ago#12
ITT: People be like "I think I figured out why my pc is so slow, this process called idle is taking up 98% of the cpu."
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 weeks ago#13
^ pretty much lol.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: Shebeskii

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#14
CursedPanther posted...
So in short in order to 'mitigate' this particular issue until MS comes up with a more permanent solution is to restart the PC frequently?

This can work but it's not the right solution. For example switching maps in BF1 will induce the stuttering because parts of the previous map and game data will join standby memory and after even just a single game, but usually two, the problem will creep up where you get micro-hitching to full on lurching.

Stallion_Prime posted...
Is that why battlefield 4 is running like s*** for me?

Probably. It seems to be the cause of hitching and stuttering for most titles in recent months.

daemon_dan posted...
Rammap has been around for a very long time because windows has had this issue long before Win10. This is why people who tend to leave their computers on for ages get less performance in a lot of things than they should, but end up not noticing cause they never restart their system. So the reduced performance is their norm. And often, Rammap does not clear correctly, and the system must be restarted. I've noticed it on my own PCs, WIN 10 desktop and Win7 laptop.

For me and many others it seems to work extremely consistently, though maybe there's some variation.

2DJunky posted...
OP I had that same problem with Win7 with a lot of games...but ever since I switched to Win10 I don't have it anymore.

I think an SSD will mitigate this issue to some degree but it's hard to say. I'll be installing an M.2 drive tomorrow when it arrives and I'll report back. I was on an SSD, but it failed and had been in bad shape once I analyzed the situation in retrospect.

zhenghan posted...
Tag

I think im having this issue on win7 with Chinese paladin 6.

I will try rammap and restart and if they dont work, vista, XP 32bit, and 10.

You don't need to restart. Simply run RAMMap and at the top select the "Empty" drop down and select "Empty Standby List".
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

User Info: Villain

Villain
3 weeks ago#15
The spring Creator's update is what brought the micro stuttering. The recently released fall update fixes it.
http://i.imgur.com/ZWNgMXL.jpg
Formally known as Will VIIII

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#16
MrSprings posted...
ITT: People be like "I think I figured out why my pc is so slow, this process called idle is taking up 98% of the cpu."

Nah dude. This problem is completely reproducible on Creators Update and beyond Windows 10 systems. It doesn't matter what processor architecture you're on or what GPU you have. RAM quantity, game footprint and PC tasks since last boot are the only determining factors.

Microsoft has been made aware and actually responded to the issues. They've made the statement that it seems something about Standby memory is "expensive" to execute causing these issues and they're looking into testing it in Insiders right away.

This problem occurs on a fresh install on any system with any graphics driver you can think of. It's not dependent on system configuration or specs, and is wholly a problem with the memory management system in Creators Update. Anniversary update does not exhibit this issue.

My best guess (and this isn't community rumour) is that they did something to superfetch to make the desktop experience better, using more memory as much and as often as possible, but accidentally ruined how Windows handles memory in extremely time sensitive situations. The Nvidia and BF1 forums have been very noisy about solving this problem for months now.

In fact people were blaming Nvidia, DICE (which I actually made a topic about) and naturally Microsoft. The only common denominator in this whole debacle has been the transition from Anniversary to Creators. Finally, isolating to that common factor someone was able to figure out that it's changes to Windows 10 standby memory management.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#17
Villain posted...
The spring Creator's update is what brought the micro stuttering. The recently released fall update fixes it.

Partly true. For titles like Forza and many others, Fall Creators fixes frame pacing issues at the direct X level. For example, Forza 7 and Horizon 3 were unable to run with smooth frame pacing past 60FPS on most systems. Fall Creators fixed this substantially.

This is another issue separate from that that was not resolved, and has been present since the advent of the microstuttering issue on Creators.

Creators Update is API Microstutter + memory management stutter.

Fall Creators Update is just memory management stutter.

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#18
Original Creators is not very playable for G sync users in many titles. Both stuttering causes are equally bad in their own way. A lot of people have blamed optimization in PUBG for the stuttering, but part of the problem in that game isn't even the game, it's that it uses a lot of RAM and induces this Standby memory management problem, but people are blaming the developer. Thankfully there's a work around to manage the situation. I was ready to drop gaming all together on my PC due to this problem.

The situation with PC gaming is complex. Microsoft is trying to do everything all at once and they're updating their platform too quickly. They aren't testing things properly before release and we're now suffering the consequences.

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#19
One might also ask: Why don't I see this issue?

For one, you're probably not on G sync, and probably not G sync 120+.

The problem is G sync tends to display the flaws in frame pacing of a game engine. 100FPS G sync is absolutely smoother than any non V sync display even up to and past 144Hz. The extremely tight pacing gives you and entirely different frame of reference for fluidity.

For example, Forza exhibits this memory management stutter very readily, but when capped to 60FPS the issue is barely noticeable, even with G sync on. The higher your frame rate, the more slight issues with pacing become a problem and it's why this issue has persisted for over half a year on pretty much every up to date PC. It's because most people don't have cutting edge monitors to tease out pacing issues from memory management sub systems.

Most PC gamers have systems that barely push 100FPS on standard fix refresh, and that ecosystem is already rife with frame pacing problems, so some anomalies don't really stand out.

People with high end systems are noticing it because their GTX 1080 and beyond on a G sync (or Free sync) monitor can show them the engine is running into major issues somewhere, but there's so few of us that it took forever for this problem to become known. Microsoft probably doesn't even have any Adaptive Sync high end systems they test their games with.

It actually blows my mind just how systemic this problem is in Windows 10, yet how it has gone unnoticed by the majority.

Trust me, you got it too, you probably just don't have the equipment to tease it out.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived