This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

User Info: Shebeskii

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#21
zhenghan posted...
Shebeskii posted...
You don't need to restart. Simply run RAMMap and at the top select the "Empty" drop down and select "Empty Standby List".

Didn't help me in this title but I'm playing the old version of this game I guess. The steam version of the game just released and I'll test it to see if the stuttering has been fixed.

Some games are just bad. I can't say this is related to all stuttering. The API fixes microsoft put in in Fall Creators significantly improved the situation for some titles, but it isn't perfect.

Right now there's no easy solution. Anniversary is too old, and too many new games have come out that benefit from newer drivers which were designed for Fall Creators. In some circumstances people have literally just remade their PC from last year, with Anniversary and old drivers, and the problem is completely fixed in titles like BF1, but it's hard to have such a system and then load up Forza or Wolfenstein.

If you have a more standard system, like a fix refresh display with a GTX 1070, you definitely can see the issue, as my friend reported Siege exhibits the problem and is resolved with RAMMap, but that sometimes it's just engine level or still the API issues that persist.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#22
The perfect way to tell if you're suffering from this problem is to run Task Manager in the background on the memory tab.

If a game starts to behave poorly or has the odd hitching, alt tab and check the memory tab. If you see that Active and Standby fill your entire RAM pool, the stuttering you're seeing is likely caused by this issue and you would benefit from RAMMap. If you have half a GB of "Free" memory left, it's probably engine, API or drivers.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#23
Shebeskii posted...
zhenghan posted...
Shebeskii posted...
You don't need to restart. Simply run RAMMap and at the top select the "Empty" drop down and select "Empty Standby List".

Didn't help me in this title but I'm playing the old version of this game I guess. The steam version of the game just released and I'll test it to see if the stuttering has been fixed.

Some games are just bad. I can't say this is related to all stuttering. The API fixes microsoft put in in Fall Creators significantly improved the situation for some titles, but it isn't perfect.

Right now there's no easy solution. Anniversary is too old, and too many new games have come out that benefit from newer drivers which were designed for Fall Creators. In some circumstances people have literally just remade their PC from last year, with Anniversary and old drivers, and the problem is completely fixed in titles like BF1, but it's hard to have such a system and then load up Forza or Wolfenstein.

If you have a more standard system, like a fix refresh display with a GTX 1070, you definitely can see the issue, as my friend reported Siege exhibits the problem and is resolved with RAMMap, but that sometimes it's just engine level or still the API issues that persist.

Yeah I think it's the game itself in this case. I just found out the DRM platform of the game changed, so I'm definitely getting a very old version of the game, and apparently optimization is better now.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#24
Shebeskii posted...
Original Creators is not very playable for G sync users in many titles. Both stuttering causes are equally bad in their own way. A lot of people have blamed optimization in PUBG for the stuttering, but part of the problem in that game isn't even the game, it's that it uses a lot of RAM and induces this Standby memory management problem, but people are blaming the developer. Thankfully there's a work around to manage the situation. I was ready to drop gaming all together on my PC due to this problem.

Yea I see tons of people stuttering like crazy in PUBG with 8GB of ram , but that is probably because 8GB isn't even enough for PUBG though. I don't stutter in PUBG unless I run out of vram which is like 1nce per game maximum. Haven't tried the game for awhile now, but I find it hard to believe the game can max out 4GB vram in 720P on just high textures...not sure whether it is due to bad optimization or what...
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Villain

Villain
3 weeks ago#25
Shebeskii posted...
Villain posted...
The spring Creator's update is what brought the micro stuttering. The recently released fall update fixes it.

Partly true. For titles like Forza and many others, Fall Creators fixes frame pacing issues at the direct X level. For example, Forza 7 and Horizon 3 were unable to run with smooth frame pacing past 60FPS on most systems. Fall Creators fixed this substantially.

This is another issue separate from that that was not resolved, and has been present since the advent of the microstuttering issue on Creators.

Creators Update is API Microstutter + memory management stutter.

Fall Creators Update is just memory management stutter.

I saw it across all games, from snes titles that were emulated to new ones. The update fixed it for me but reportadely it isn't fixed for everyone. I had the exact same issue on my HTPC which uses a different brand processor and GPU, but I haven't tested it yet to see if the micro stuttering is still present.
http://i.imgur.com/ZWNgMXL.jpg
Formally known as Will VIIII

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#26
zhenghan posted...
Shebeskii posted...
Original Creators is not very playable for G sync users in many titles. Both stuttering causes are equally bad in their own way. A lot of people have blamed optimization in PUBG for the stuttering, but part of the problem in that game isn't even the game, it's that it uses a lot of RAM and induces this Standby memory management problem, but people are blaming the developer. Thankfully there's a work around to manage the situation. I was ready to drop gaming all together on my PC due to this problem.

Yea I see tons of people stuttering like crazy in PUBG with 8GB of ram , but that is probably because 8GB isn't even enough for PUBG though. I don't stutter in PUBG unless I run out of vram which is like 1nce per game maximum. Haven't tried the game for awhile now, but I find it hard to believe the game can max out 4GB vram in 720P on just high textures...not sure whether it is due to bad optimization or what...

Another error this problem causes is having a game fail to launch telling you you don't have enough memory. This has been another problem assumed to be a glitch with PUBG, but it's not as far as I can tell. It's actually resolved by clearing Standby. Again, the game reports this error back because it's failing to relinquish superfetch data.

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#27
Villain posted...
Shebeskii posted...
Villain posted...
The spring Creator's update is what brought the micro stuttering. The recently released fall update fixes it.

Partly true. For titles like Forza and many others, Fall Creators fixes frame pacing issues at the direct X level. For example, Forza 7 and Horizon 3 were unable to run with smooth frame pacing past 60FPS on most systems. Fall Creators fixed this substantially.

This is another issue separate from that that was not resolved, and has been present since the advent of the microstuttering issue on Creators.

Creators Update is API Microstutter + memory management stutter.

Fall Creators Update is just memory management stutter.

I saw it across all games, from snes titles that were emulated to new ones. The update fixed it for me but reportadely it isn't fixed for everyone. I had the exact same issue on my HTPC which uses a different brand processor and GPU, but I haven't tested it yet to see if the micro stuttering is still present.

Yep. It's surprising how some people aren't sensitive to it, but there's enough of us that it's slowly getting addressed.

User Info: Pauken

Pauken
3 weeks ago#28
More reasons to use Windows 7 until it gets canned, then switch to Linux.

Shebeskii
3 weeks ago#29
Pauken posted...
More reasons to use Windows 7 until it gets canned, then switch to Linux.

At this point, if Microsoft didn't outright acknowledge the issue, I would consider going back to 7.

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
3 weeks ago#30
got a machine with 2gb ram and I get no stutter in games in windows 10 vs 7.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 10 memory management causes stutter in almost all games.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived