This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me diagnose or solve a vsync issue in borderless windowed mode?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help me diagnose or solve a vsync issue in borderless windowed mode?

User Info: ThePlasmaStorm

ThePlasmaStorm
3 weeks ago#1
I have an optimus laptop with a GTX 1060

In full screen mode, vsync works fine. The FPS line is flat and smooth

In borderless window mode (or maybe even just windowed mode in general), the fps just sucks with vsync on. The FPS line is all jagged with narrow peaks and valleys (like a patient going through cardiac arrest). I can sense frame shuttering.

If the vsync off, the fps looks just fine, similar to full screen.

Do you know why this is and if I could solve it somehow? I like to play borderless windowed because it allows me to alt tab easily.
Out! Out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow!
http://i.imgur.com/k8Sb2kC.png

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#2
Borderless Windowed mode is just like Windowed mode, meaning Vsync is relying on the OS for vsync.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
3 weeks ago#3
Which in turn means that if you're using Windows 7, or another applicable Windows OS, with Aero disabled then there's zero chance of actually having vsych in a windowed mode of any sort since vsynch is tied in with Aero, along with other stuff that software developers have a seriously nasty habit of tying into.

Here's looking at you, GeForce Experience and Wallpaper Engine, two potentially useful programs that won't run without Aero and thus probably won't be run on my PC. :-/
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#4
GFE works without Aero for sure. I use it without Aero.
IDK about wallpaper engine, but windowed vsync requires desktop composition to work, and on Windows 7, if you aren't using Aero, you don't have desktop composition.(which sucks on win7 anyway)
Desktop composition is what makes aero good and bad.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
3 weeks ago#5
DarkZV2Beta posted...
GFE works without Aero for sure. I use it without Aero.

I couldn't get it to do screenshots much less record video without Aero enabled.

Other components such as "game optimization" (heh) work regardless of Aero, but the video stuff... Well, it was a pain in the ass getting it to work, and even after getting it to work it only mostly worked.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
if you aren't using Aero, you don't have desktop composition.(which sucks on win7 anyway)

Nothin' says lovin' like being told every time you play one or two games that "performance is sluggish" and having DWM helpfully offering to disable Aero which was only enabled in the first place to record video in the game that you're playing. :-/
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help me diagnose or solve a vsync issue in borderless windowed mode?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived