This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've always wanted to get into the more competitive scene...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I've always wanted to get into the more competitive scene...

User Info: darkcresent91

darkcresent91
3 weeks ago#1
So like the title says, I've always wanted to get into the more competitive gaming scene with tournaments and such. I've been a gamer my whole life. The problem I have, is that the main esport games have never really interested me. LoL I tried but never had fun.

I feel like shooters would be my go to esports game. So that leaves csgo, overwatch and a few other older games?

I guess im just looking for advice.

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
3 weeks ago#2
Fighting games are always an option, and have a growing PC userbase.

If your heart is set on shooters, though, then yeah - your options are pretty much Overwatch, Counter Strike, and Unreal or Quake. Supposedly PUBG is gonna have an eSports scene, but... that's PUBG.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
3 weeks ago#3
Serious question: How old are you? Most professionals retire reaction based games fairly early because of deteriorating reaction times and muscle functions. If you are twenty or something years old, it might be too late for some types of games.

User Info: darkcresent91

darkcresent91
3 weeks ago#4
thelocalhentai posted...
Serious question: How old are you? Most professionals retire reaction based games fairly early because of deteriorating reaction times and muscle functions. If you are twenty or something years old, it might be too late for some types of games.

What does that leave me then? Hearthstone?

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#5
The competitive scene in gaming is much like the competitive scene in any other major sport. Being truly competitive is about giving up literally all of your free time to gaming. Studying the games, studying strategies, and playing a s*** ton.

It's total and absolutely devotion ON TOP OF requiring a natural talent that only exists in tiny percentage of the population. You're talking about reaction speeds, mental capacities, and hand/input accuracies that have to match the top few thousand on the planet.

Not trying to discourage you, but you need to know what you're trying to get into. It's a lot like playing in the NFL. If you didn't start at the prime development age, devote literally all of your time to it, and be gifted with superhuman physical attributes then you probably aren't going to the NFL.

You'll be competing against individuals at the top of their physical and mental capacity for gaming who have been training for this, professionally, since they were old enough to make an input device work.

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
3 weeks ago#6
You can be a participant in the competitive scene even if you don't have a capacity to be best of the best. My friend at the time had no capability for high level concepts but he worked on the execution side, paid attention to what the metagame was, and he consistently placed top 8.

I myself was in the competitive scene and I didn't excel in every game. There were games I was really good at and some games I was not. So even if you do have the capacity for high level play, you also need to find the game that 'clicks' with you.

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#7
randomoaf posted...
You can be a participant in the competitive scene even if you don't have a capacity to be best of the best. My friend at the time had no capability for high level concepts but he worked on the execution side, paid attention to what the metagame was, and he consistently placed top 8.

I myself was in the competitive scene and I didn't excel in every game. There were games I was really good at and some games I was not. So even if you do have the capacity for high level play, you also need to find the game that 'clicks' with you.

Consistently placed in the top 8 of what?

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#8
BearShrooms posted...
randomoaf posted...

Well since he isn't going to respond I'm going to point out that the top 8 of any competitive game is usually at the world championships for that game. I have a hard time believing his friend was consistently in the "top 8".

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
3 weeks ago#9
BearShrooms posted...
randomoaf posted...

fighting games, local tournaments, which aren't as easy as you think.

User Info: _GRIM_FANDANGO_

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
3 weeks ago#10
You can not really choose to be in the competitive scene. It is like sports. Some people exhibit unusual talent, and they are the only ones that can make it. Only after investing a considerable amount of time in a game can you get an idea of whether you have a talent for it.

However, if you mean you just want to play a competitive online game and take it somewhat seriously I would suggest CS:GO and find others that are willing to play the game as seriously as you do. Though I suggest putting in several thousands of hours to get at least somewhat decent. Because that is what it takes assuming you have some talent. Even among non-professional gamers there is no competitive game that you can just pick up, play, and expect to be able to keep up with the upper echelon of players without the required dedication.
I5 3570 | GTX 970 | Samsung 840 EVO x 3 | Corsair RM750 | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair 400c | AKG k550 | Realforce 87U | Logitech G Pro |
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I've always wanted to get into the more competitive scene...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived