This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've always wanted to get into the more competitive scene...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I've always wanted to get into the more competitive scene...

User Info: killerfox

killerfox
3 weeks ago#11
darkcresent91 posted...
So like the title says, I've always wanted to get into the more competitive gaming scene with tournaments and such. I've been a gamer my whole life. The problem I have, is that the main esport games have never really interested me. LoL I tried but never had fun.

I feel like shooters would be my go to esports game. So that leaves csgo, overwatch and a few other older games?

I guess im just looking for advice.

Maybe Rocket League? You can do it bro, that mentality is the only gift you need. Look to other people to learn to see what you can do to get better. Never let logic determine your fate, only your imagination should do that.
jdoesit.com

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#12
randomoaf posted...
BearShrooms posted...
randomoaf posted...
You can be a participant in the competitive scene even if you don't have a capacity to be best of the best. My friend at the time had no capability for high level concepts but he worked on the execution side, paid attention to what the metagame was, and he consistently placed top 8.

I myself was in the competitive scene and I didn't excel in every game. There were games I was really good at and some games I was not. So even if you do have the capacity for high level play, you also need to find the game that 'clicks' with you.

Consistently placed in the top 8 of what?

fighting games, local tournaments, which aren't as easy as you think.

LMAO, we are talking about two different levels of competition here. That's not the type of "competitive gaming" people usually mean when they are talking about competitive gaming.

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#13
killerfox posted...
darkcresent91 posted...
So like the title says, I've always wanted to get into the more competitive gaming scene with tournaments and such. I've been a gamer my whole life. The problem I have, is that the main esport games have never really interested me. LoL I tried but never had fun.

I feel like shooters would be my go to esports game. So that leaves csgo, overwatch and a few other older games?

I guess im just looking for advice.

Maybe Rocket League? You can do it bro, that mentality is the only gift you need. Look to other people to learn to see what you can do to get better. Never let logic determine your fate, only your imagination should do that.

Well, your imagination and reality.

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
3 weeks ago#14
BearShrooms posted...
LMAO, we are talking about two different levels of competition here. That's not the type of "competitive gaming" people usually mean when they are talking about competitive gaming.

First of all, we fighting gamers were 1st in competitive gaming. We organized local tournaments across the cities/nations and grew that into nationals. Evolution came from B3 and B4 (located in Cali) and Japan had Super Battle Opera. Guys like Justin Wong came straight from the arcades in NYC's Chinatown and he's a major sponsored player & well known name now. One of our guys (Angelic) become sponsored and he came right from our group & he's one of the newer guys. (https://twitter.com/azangelic?lang=en)

There is no "different level". If you can come to the local tourneys and showcase your talent, consistently place top, then you're something, even on a national level. It takes major skills to play fighting games. Beyond that of most "competitive" games you can think of. If you can even make it to the local tourney shows that you surpass most "regular" people playing the game, even if they think they are playing on a competitive level.

Here is a match where he is clearly in top 8 against our #1~2 player in the state (and he is good enough to place top in nationals), my friend is named RE-T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4w8kO9dntg&list=WL&index=28

Here's MvC3, you can clearly see the people he's playing are no pushovers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzDHOiz1M8&list=WL&index=29

Look, I don't know who you are, or where you come from. But we don't play weak s*** with weak people. You better rethink your definitions cause if you encounter any of us in a game, we will crush you.

User Info: Skyrazer

Skyrazer
3 weeks ago#15
Closest thing to "competitive gaming" I've done is MRBC for Mechwarrior Online. It's not professional by any stretch as there's no money involved and it's entirely a community run tournament for a niche game, but it was pretty damn competitive and it required multiple training sessions a week with my team. Winning was a serious matter and emotions would often fly.

I competed for a few seasons before I got burnt out and stopped playing the game altogether. I could hardly imagine being at the top of a pro comp scene like CSGO or LoL - you basically have to devote your entire life....
Life - A sexually transmitted disease that always results in death.

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#16
randomoaf posted...
BearShrooms posted...

First of all, we fighting gamers were 1st in competitive gaming. We organized local tournaments across the cities/nations and grew that into nationals. Evolution came from B3 and B4 (located in Cali) and Japan had Super Battle Opera. Guys like Justin Wong came straight from the arcades in NYC's Chinatown and he's a major sponsored player & well known name now. One of our guys (Angelic) become sponsored and he came right from our group & he's one of the newer guys. (https://twitter.com/azangelic?lang=en)

There is no "different level". If you can come to the local tourneys and showcase your talent, consistently place top, then you're something, even on a national level. It takes major skills to play fighting games. Beyond that of most "competitive" games you can think of. If you can even make it to the local tourney shows that you surpass most "regular" people playing the game, even if they think they are playing on a competitive level.

Here is a match where he is clearly in top 8 against our #1~2 player in the state (and he is good enough to place top in nationals), my friend is named RE-T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4w8kO9dntg&list=WL&index=28

Here's MvC3, you can clearly see the people he's playing are no pushovers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzDHOiz1M8&list=WL&index=29

Look, I don't know who you are, or where you come from. But we don't play weak s*** with weak people. You better rethink your definitions cause if you encounter any of us in a game, we will crush you.

/golfclap?

Nobody cares about your 8th place in local fighting tournaments.

randomoaf
3 weeks ago#17
BearShrooms posted...

/golfclap?

Words of a scrub everybody. This is why you suck. Please do me a solid and listen to this guy.

BearShrooms
3 weeks ago#18
randomoaf posted...
BearShrooms posted...

/golfclap?

Words of a scrub everybody. This is why you suck. Please do me a solid and listen to this guy.

I suck because I don't think placing 8th in a local tournament is great. LMAO. Yeah, keep on bragging about mediocrity.

randomoaf
3 weeks ago#19
BearShrooms posted...
randomoaf posted...
BearShrooms posted...

/golfclap?

I suck because I don't think placing 8th in a local tournament is great. LMAO. Yeah, keep on bragging about mediocrity.

No, you are a scrub and you suck because you do not recognize good information when it's given to you. Look at how the guys play. Do they play on the level of some scrub like you? No. They are amazing players. The 99th percentile in our state. Sure, he may have gotten 8th at this particular tourney but it's not like he always places 8th. He's gotten 1st his share of times in the games that he plays. I myself have placed top 3 and top 8 in my respective tourneys. These are not weak players we are competing against. We are competing against the best in our scene. The best in our scene can compete against the best in the nation. Angelic came from our community and I linked to you his profile. It clearly says he's top 3 at a national.

Another major indication that you're a scrub is that you dismiss people because it is not a certain person, a certain group or organization. That means you are nothing but a rank follower. You do not belong in our pantheon of capable players. We are not followers. We are innovators. Good players can be born anywhere and compete anywhere.

The difference between you and us is that we can see the path to the top lies in yourself and your own ability for self-improvement. We seek out information that guides us to that destination. While you follow us and wait until we post the good stuff so you can copy it, only for that particular strat or meta to be broken by us.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I've always wanted to get into the more competitive scene...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived