This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Planning on doing some big upgrades to my computer. Could use advice.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Planning on doing some big upgrades to my computer. Could use advice.

User Info: sajt007

sajt007
2 weeks ago#1
Besides my graphics card and ram, I have been using the same components for 8 years and figured it is time to do a big upgrade. My current specs are:

i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz

16 gig DDR3 RAM

Nvidia geforce gtx 970

MSI MSI X58 PLATINUM SLI(MS-7522)

650W PSU
the one and only crazysnake
GT: calcalcal PSN: crazysnake007

User Info: TylerJ

TylerJ
2 weeks ago#2
Are you looking for a whole system refresh, or a cost effective upgrade?

And, besides gaming, are you doing any intensive productivity like video editing or file conversions?

Ultimately whichever way you go, at a minimum you're looking at a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScxZaWyL9A

User Info: johnny_pay

johnny_pay
2 weeks ago#3
Know that a new CPU means new motherboard means new ram and that s*** is costly.

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
2 weeks ago#4
TC needs an entirely new system - from scratch. 970 ain't s*** nowadays. Nothing is reusable from that setup.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 weeks ago#5
johnny_pay posted...
Know that a new CPU means new motherboard means new ram and that s*** is costly.

This - I would honestly wait a while to upgrade TC. RAM/GPU prices are pretty insanely inflated at the moment, hopefully they will drop and stabilize in the coming year.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: ToastyOne

ToastyOne
2 weeks ago#6
Upgrade cpu to xeon x5650 (6C/12T) for $20 as a stopgap until prices calm down.

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
2 weeks ago#7
Renraku_San posted...
TC needs an entirely new system - from scratch. 970 ain't s*** nowadays. Nothing is reusable from that setup.

GTX 970 will play pretty much any game you throw at it just fine with 60fps at 1080P.
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
2 weeks ago#8
Renraku_San posted...

What? 970 is great. His processor is extremely old though, it's been bottlenecking his system since whenever he went overkill with the 970 for that setup. It isn't a balanced build at all. It's the PC equivalent of someone who only bench presses in the gym. It's a weird spec sheet to look at.

OP I really don't know what to tell you because it's a bizarre spec sheet. You can hang onto the GPU because it's good, but replacing the weakest part (processor) means replacing everything else *but* the GPU. But since it will be such a big upgrade and then the GPU will feel "old" even though it's great and has been largely going to waste in that current build, it's likely you'll get the itch to replace the GPU anyway.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: sajt007

sajt007
2 weeks ago#9
I use my computer for video editing and gaming. I am looking to just upgrade my system and was hoping to get a good deal on parts for Black Friday. You don’t think it’s the right time to a big upgrade?

Also does the power supply need to be replaced?
the one and only crazysnake
GT: calcalcal PSN: crazysnake007

User Info: TheSmilingLord

TheSmilingLord
2 weeks ago#10
A computer will last you around 5 years and chances are high you will never actually upgrade the thing. So go big or get stuck with mediocre equipment for a good part of your life.

i7 8700k, z370 mobo, 32g ddr4 ram, gtx 970 (you can upgrade this later), AIO (watercooler, you'll want one for the cpu), ssd (500g) & hdd (4T), rgb fans, rgb lighting strips, fan controller, 800+ gold rated (at least) PSU. Need an excellent mid tower case or a full case with good airflow.
Gamertag: Ragnarok
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Planning on doing some big upgrades to my computer. Could use advice.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived