This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Planning on doing some big upgrades to my computer. Could use advice.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Planning on doing some big upgrades to my computer. Could use advice.

User Info: sajt007

sajt007
2 weeks ago#11
I dunno. I never buy top of the line because it's usually too much money for not much more performance. I always bought a little under and been fine.
the one and only crazysnake
GT: calcalcal PSN: crazysnake007

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 weeks ago#12
sajt007 posted...
Besides my graphics card and ram, I have been using the same components for 8 years and figured it is time to do a big upgrade. My current specs are:

i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz

16 gig DDR3 RAM

Nvidia geforce gtx 970

MSI MSI X58 PLATINUM SLI(MS-7522)

650W PSU

Sorry bro you need a ENTIRÉ new system.

Depending on your liking AMD or Intel your going to be $700+.If you hurry you can go to Newegg and get a Ryzen combo
for around $550 and a RX series of GPU for under $300
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
2 weeks ago#13
Superemppu posted...
Renraku_San posted...
TC needs an entirely new system - from scratch. 970 ain't s*** nowadays. Nothing is reusable from that setup.

GTX 970 will play pretty much any game you throw at it just fine with 60fps at 1080P.

I'm starting to find that my 970 is starting to struggle a bit with games (1080p) but it might just be the card getting old. It was blowing REALLY loud while playing Div OS 2, something it had never done before, and it has been struggling to keep a good framerate with Nioh and the Surge, which is weird because when the Surge came out it ran fine but I tried playing it again recently and either they f***ed it up with a patch or my 970 is getting elderly.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
2 weeks ago#14
970 is garbage.
Get a 1060 or above.
Now, say my name.

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
2 weeks ago#15
Superemppu posted...
Renraku_San posted...
TC needs an entirely new system - from scratch. 970 ain't s*** nowadays. Nothing is reusable from that setup.

GTX 970 will play pretty much any game you throw at it just fine with 60fps at 1080P.

https://media.giphy.com/media/I4Jmrcjnr8Zfq/giphy-downsized-large.gif
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
2 weeks ago#16
TC - fair warning - there are a lot of peasants on this board that constantly have to justify their 2+ year old crappy systems.

You need an entirely new system. End of thread. Create a new thread with what you plan your ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM to be.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
2 weeks ago#17
Superemppu posted...
Renraku_San posted...

So will the i7 920 especially with a little oc. What they are saying is there is no point in just a cpu upgrade.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 weeks ago#18
sajt007 posted...
I dunno. I never buy top of the line because it's usually too much money for not much more performance. I always bought a little under and been fine.

Yeah, you typically pay a hefty premium for a few percentage points more performance with the very top-end parts. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to blow wads of cash "just because", that's idiotic. I do recommend buying the best components you can for your budget/based on your performance needs, but over-spending as performance "insurance" is ludicrous as given how fast tech advances the very top-end part is unlikely to have much longer of a useful life than the next model down the line.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: sajt007

sajt007
2 weeks ago#19
Alright. I think I am just going to wait and save some money since I have to upgrade more than expected. I already bought a ps4 pro the other day and my pc can still play games on medium-high settings. Thanks for the help, everyone.
the one and only crazysnake
GT: calcalcal PSN: crazysnake007

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 weeks ago#20
JKatarn posted...
johnny_pay posted...
Know that a new CPU means new motherboard means new ram and that s*** is costly.

This - I would honestly wait a while to upgrade TC. RAM/GPU prices are pretty insanely inflated at the moment, hopefully they will drop and stabilize in the coming year.

GPU prices will go down eventually, RAM probably won't ever.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Planning on doing some big upgrades to my computer. Could use advice.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived