This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How significant is the difference between the GTX 1070 and 1080?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How significant is the difference between the GTX 1070 and 1080?

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
3 weeks ago#11
Unless it's an i3 8100 or 8350k, upgrade to at least an i5. Quad-cores are currently the minimum standard for gaming.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#12
weaselcannon posted...
Using a 1070 on a 1440p 144hz(165hz OC) monitor(G-Sync) and I've got no complaints as yet. I've not tweaked it a huge amount but a small overclock is applied.

Some minor graphical turndowns but stuff like Overwatch sits at 180fps+ at Ultra. Ghost Recon: Wildlands at max runs at about 70-80 fps so at 1440/60 you'll be completely fine without G-Sync.

1440p at 144hz gsync is glorious.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#13
HeliosMagi posted...
Unless it's an i3 8100 or 8350k, upgrade to at least an i5. Quad-cores are currently the minimum standard for gaming.

With 16 gigs of RAM.
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#14
Are prices for equivalent performance likely to go down over the next year, or is now a good time to buy something?

I'm flip-flopping on whether to grab a GTX 1080. It doesn't feel like three years since I got my 970. Granted my 970 is likely enough but with the way GPU prices shot up in the summer I'm wondering if I should grab something.

The price difference is 'only' around $100 though between the 1070 and 1080... is the difference in power really so little that it doesn't matter at 1080p? I see "for 1080p" but that's just in the context of current games. A stronger card will be stronger at 1080p for more demanding games in the future too.

If GPU prices aren't likely to spike however I might hold off. I can enjoy games with imperfect performance, but I've gotten addicted to not worrying period. FFXV is supposedly quite demanding though, for the enhanced port.

I've (perhaps) talked myself out of a CPU/RAM upgrade, but I'm still tempted on the GPU front.

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#15
Voxwik posted...
Are prices for equivalent performance likely to go down over the next year, or is now a good time to buy something?

I'm flip-flopping on whether to grab a GTX 1080. It doesn't feel like three years since I got my 970. Granted my 970 is likely enough but with the way GPU prices shot up in the summer I'm wondering if I should grab something.

The price difference is 'only' around $100 though between the 1070 and 1080... is the difference in power really so little that it doesn't matter at 1080p? I see "for 1080p" but that's just in the context of current games. A stronger card will be stronger at 1080p for more demanding games in the future too.

If GPU prices aren't likely to spike however I might hold off. I can enjoy games with imperfect performance, but I've gotten addicted to not worrying period. FFXV is supposedly quite demanding though, for the enhanced port.

I've (perhaps) talked myself out of a CPU/RAM upgrade, but I'm still tempted on the GPU front.

FFXV was due to them doing 4k as the recommended settings which is why you got 1080 TI for recommended. I think its a 1070 now can't remember.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 weeks ago#16
It takes more than just playing at a higher resolution to bump the required specs up that much, but yeah I know it was exaggerated at first. They absolutely said not even the 1080 Ti can handle all the settings turned up at 4k though.

Basically if the GTX 970 can handle the games in the next year at 60fps no problem at 1080p it would be illogical for me to upgrade. I'm just searching for an excuse I'm sure.

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#17
Voxwik posted...
It takes more than just playing at a higher resolution to bump the required specs up that much, but yeah I know it was exaggerated at first. They absolutely said not even the 1080 Ti can handle all the settings turned up at 4k though.

Basically if the GTX 970 can handle the games in the next year at 60fps no problem at 1080p it would be illogical for me to upgrade. I'm just searching for an excuse I'm sure.

They should just do an optimimum setting too. So you got minimum (wouldn't dare to play the game at this) recommended (my go to settings I want to achieve), and optimimum (where its for only the highest tier people).

User Info: Gaawa_chan

Gaawa_chan
3 weeks ago#18
Thanks a lot guys. You actually helped me narrow down my choice and save quite a bit of cash. :3
Hi

User Info: arjames13

arjames13
3 weeks ago#19
Gaawa_chan posted...
Thanks a lot guys. You actually helped me narrow down my choice and save quite a bit of cash. :3

If you are eyeing a 1080 I'd suggest looking at the 1070Ti. It's pretty much equal to the 1080 but lower in price.
PSN ID: Fangnfx
i7 7700k @5.0GHz | Corsair H100i v2 | Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 | 32GB RAM | EVGA SC GTX 1070 | EVGA Supernova G2 750w |

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#20
captsplatter_1 posted...
HeliosMagi posted...

With 16 gigs of RAM.

8GB is still fine
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How significant is the difference between the GTX 1070 and 1080?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived