This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just got a 4K TV will my PC be able to render games in 4K *specs inside*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I just got a 4K TV will my PC be able to render games in 4K *specs inside*

User Info: Scorpion122178

Scorpion122178
3 weeks ago#1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.80GHz
Installed Memory(RAM): 16.0 GB
System Type: 64-bit OS
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H

Now right now the HDMI cable I'm using is just a standard HDMI but I purchased a new one compatable with 4K Ultra HD

So what do you guys think? Right now even 5 years after I built it I can run new games on Ultra settings at 60FPS most of the time.

If its not capable what would you suggest I upgrade? Thanks for the feedback.
Currently playing: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Overwatch, LoZ: Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Moon, Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend
FC: 2638 - 1204 - 7548

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
3 weeks ago#2
" I can run new games on Ultra settings at 60FPS most of the time. "

No, you can't.

4K is 4 times the pixels of 1080P, which means it's roughly 4 times as hard to run, which means that you'll get around 25% of the FPS compared to 1080P.

Just get a new GPU and your PC is still pretty strong.
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

Scorpion122178
3 weeks ago#3
Superemppu posted...
" I can run new games on Ultra settings at 60FPS most of the time. "

No, you can't.

4K is 4 times the pixels of 1080P, which means it's roughly 4 times as hard to run, which means that you'll get around 25% of the FPS compared to 1080P.

Just get a new GPU and your PC is still pretty strong.

What would be a good game to measure this then? I see Witcher 3 is on sale.

Also what GPU would you suggest buying then?
Currently playing: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Overwatch, LoZ: Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Moon, Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
3 weeks ago#4
For 4K I wouldn't go lower than GTX 1080 if you care for even remotely high settings and good framerate.
Basically get as good as your budget allows.
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

Scorpion122178
3 weeks ago#5
Superemppu posted...
For 4K I wouldn't go lower than GTX 1080 if you care for even remotely high settings and good framerate.

$580 bucks? God Damn. Might have to hold back on getting a new GPU for awhile.

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
3 weeks ago#6
If you're willing to settle for 30fps at medium or lower detail, you might be able play at 4k with something like a GTX 1060. For 60fps at 4k High or Ultra you need at least a 1080, preferably a 1080 Ti. And of course you need a high-end CPU to pair with that graphics card otherwise you'd be bottlenecked.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

Scorpion122178
3 weeks ago#7
HeliosMagi posted...
If you're willing to settle for 30fps at medium or lower detail, you might be able play at 4k with something like a GTX 1060. For 60fps at 4k High or Ultra you need at least a 1080, preferably a 1080 Ti. And of course you need a high-end CPU to pair with that graphics card otherwise you'd be bottlenecked.

might just be better off buying an X-Box One X or Playstation 4 Pro.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
3 weeks ago#8
Scorpion122178 posted...
HeliosMagi posted...

might just be better off buying an X-Box One X or Playstation 4 Pro.

Pro has better exclusives if you're mainly a PC gamer. X1X will take proper advantage of 4k more often than PS4 Pro, but don't expect 4k@60fps in vast majority of titles with either.

Proper 4k gaming (which is 4k resolution with no sacrifices, as in still 60fps and high-ultra settings) is still way ahead of the curve for most people. If you're dead set on getting on the 4k wagon right now, there are going to be plenty of sacrifices.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: NeedMoreMoney

NeedMoreMoney
3 weeks ago#9
Scorpion122178 posted...
Superemppu posted...

$580 bucks? God Damn. Might have to hold back on getting a new GPU for awhile.

Actually saw a Asus 1080 for $450 after rebate/code and it comes with Destiny 2.
-

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
3 weeks ago#10
If I were you I'd just browse and stream video at 4K and game at 1080p. I'd take 60fps at 1080p High over 30fps at 4K low any day. 1080p will look just as good on a 4k monitor as on a native 1080p one, since it's a perfect integer scale.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I just got a 4K TV will my PC be able to render games in 4K *specs inside*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived