This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I need to play the first Divinity: Original Sin to enjoy the second game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need to play the first Divinity: Original Sin to enjoy the second game?

User Info: GooberSD

GooberSD
2 weeks ago#1
I'm planning on getting both games with the sale, but I'm curious if this series is like Final Fantasy in the sense that the games aren't connected.

Do I need to play the first game to enjoy the second? Are there benefits to doing so?

Thanks guys!

User Info: crimsiden

crimsiden
2 weeks ago#2
Small connection but not enough that you would need to purchase the first one to understand the second. In short they are connected like in the same game world but two completely different stories.

User Info: GooberSD

GooberSD
2 weeks ago#3
crimsiden posted...
Small connection but not enough that you would need to purchase the first one to understand the second. In short they are connected like in the same game world but two completely different stories.

Great to know, thanks! :)

User Info: XianMei

XianMei
2 weeks ago#4
I'd like someone to name something made in the last 10 years that expects you to have played the previous game made in the last decade or so.
My quest to beat 40 games by March 1st 2018!
https://pastebin.com/8i5EiCi1

User Info: Boge

Boge
2 weeks ago#5
XianMei posted...
I'd like someone to name something made in the last 10 years that expects you to have played the previous game made in the last decade or so.

The Witcher 3?
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: XianMei

XianMei
2 weeks ago#6
The gameBoge posted...
XianMei posted...

The Witcher 3?

It's made in a way that doesn't expect you to have played the previous games at all. yeah, you'll miss out on some minor details, but that's about it.
My quest to beat 40 games by March 1st 2018!
https://pastebin.com/8i5EiCi1

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
2 weeks ago#7
No, the second game is very self-contained, it has a few references to the first game but they aren't very important.

I played the first game but got really bored/annoyed with it almost at the end and never finished it. Played the second one when it came out and enjoyed the heck out of it, much better game than the first in almost every way.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
2 weeks ago#8
Boge posted...
XianMei posted...

The Witcher 3?

Witcher 3 actually felt entirely removed from 1 and 2 imo >_>.
i dont like signatures

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
2 weeks ago#9
Only in the context of game play.

Go in knowing a few things:
1.) Positioning in battle is extremely important. Enemies (virtually all of them) will take this into account and use AEs to devastate you if you don't know this. It's kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics in the way you move around in battle. The combat itself is very different though.

2.) There is no such thing as grinding. If you have issues, seek out as many non-combat quests as you can to level up.

3.) There is no such thing as "trash" encounters (goes along with 2).

4.) Because of 2 and 3, there is a finite amount of experience in the game. You are expected to do most/all of the sidequests.

5.) Because of 2 and 3, there is a finite amount of money in the game... but thievery can totally break that if it bothers you. Each character can only steal once, but considering you can temporarily dismiss companions and use a few mercenaries too while finite if you steal money is no issue. If you don't, be mindful of barter and item finding luck and making smart choices with your funds.

6.) The game has an atypical armor system. Magic and physical armor function kind of like shields in a sci-fi show. No HP damage happens until it's depleted (in most cases), and in most cases special aspects of the attack do not apply until the armor is gone. Because of this, knowing how to maximize your damage to take out armor and then use abilities to lock down enemies with crowd control abilities is key. Mixing magic and physical attacks on the same enemy is extremely inefficient, unless done so in a way mindful of secondary factors lowering both.

7.) Because of 6, armor is more important than HP and you can consider abilities that heal magic and physical armor on par with heals. Heals help patch you up when things get through the "shields." The shields themselves prevent the enemy from locking you down with crowd control abilities.

8.) A single level makes a huge difference, and stats inflate on gear a ton. Vendor stocks are based on your level, so check them if you have issue and it's best to hold off stealing if you do for later (and focus on stealing money back rather than actual items).

9.) There are ways to trivialize the game. Some claim this makes the game "easy." I say of course it's easy if you're an expert that knows how to best exploit the systems, or luck out and do so on your own. The game gives incredible freedom. You can teleport the strongest foe into an ambush or far away to buy time, then retreat after killing a foe for example. You can stack boxes in the way of the enemies so they have to go around or break them. You can be extremely underhanded if you want to. I'm not saying you should or should not do those things, but some people feel like they hit a brick wall with the game's difficulty, and there are incredibly creative things to do if that happens to you.

10.) The game has a robust save file system. Take advantage of it. Steam Cloud may make the game lag ridiculously badly after saving sometimes, so if that bothers you disable it.

The game can be very intimidating/hard, but I love it. I'm not even half way through and over 50 hours, though not everyone dilly-dallies that much. I know my use of numbers became pointless but I originally only was going to type a couple things.

Basically, the game expects you to know these things (especially about the way combat works). If you go in, see a few crocodiles, and think "oh starter area weak monsters to grind" you will be destroyed (like I was hehe).

Also, minor game play spoiler:
After the first act, you gain access to something that allows infinite respec. The only thing that will limit you is buying/finding skillbooks on that front.

Edit:
Also, dying is a big deal at first. There is no infinite reuse resurrection ability.

User Info: crimsiden

crimsiden
2 weeks ago#10
XianMei posted...
The gameBoge posted...
XianMei posted...

The Witcher 3?

It's made in a way that doesn't expect you to have played the previous games at all. yeah, you'll miss out on some minor details, but that's about it.

I disagree with this . You miss out on alooot without playing witcher 1-2 or reading the books. I mean sure not enough that you wont understand the plot, but enough that if you played the previous games you will understand the third one alot better.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need to play the first Divinity: Original Sin to enjoy the second game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived