This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I need to play the first Divinity: Original Sin to enjoy the second game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need to play the first Divinity: Original Sin to enjoy the second game?

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 weeks ago#11
Hexenherz posted...
Witcher 3 actually felt entirely removed from 1 and 2 imo >_>.

I felt the same about Witcher 2 feeling removed from 1.

Honestly, there's a continuous story with returning characters, but that's in a smaller Geralt related narrative. The overworld narrative changes drastically from game to game.

Witcher 1 was about the theft of Witcher items leading into a grander conspiracy to take over the country.

Witcher 2 was a simpler tale of side vying for control over a section of land with an overarching narrative of someone assassinating kings.

Witcher 3 does away with any of that and goes right on to the invasion from Nilfgaard, something only really hinted at before and now full blown invasion.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: spud_almighty

spud_almighty
3 weeks ago#12
sfcalimari posted...
No, the second game is very self-contained, it has a few references to the first game but they aren't very important.

I played the first game but got really bored/annoyed with it almost at the end and never finished it. Played the second one when it came out and enjoyed the heck out of it, much better game than the first in almost every way.

The final level is a doddle, shame you didn't finish it. The story is considerably better than the sequels and pays off very nicely.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#13
XianMei posted...
The gameBoge posted...
XianMei posted...
I'd like someone to name something made in the last 10 years that expects you to have played the previous game made in the last decade or so.

The Witcher 3?

It's made in a way that doesn't expect you to have played the previous games at all. yeah, you'll miss out on some minor details, but that's about it.

There is one part in the game where have played the previous games helped.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: pkdragon

pkdragon
3 weeks ago#14
XianMei posted...
I'd like someone to name something made in the last 10 years that expects you to have played the previous game made in the last decade or so.

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

In both story and gameplay, it pretty much assumes that you've played the first one. There's only enough recap and tutorial to get the player caught back up if they took a break between games, and the difficulty starts out around where the previous game ended.

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
3 weeks ago#15
spud_almighty posted...
sfcalimari posted...
No, the second game is very self-contained, it has a few references to the first game but they aren't very important.

I played the first game but got really bored/annoyed with it almost at the end and never finished it. Played the second one when it came out and enjoyed the heck out of it, much better game than the first in almost every way.

The final level is a doddle, shame you didn't finish it. The story is considerably better than the sequels and pays off very nicely.

I got to this part almost at the end where to get through a door the game suddenly told me "oh yeah I forgot to mention that you were supposed to pick up some tiny item off the floor every time you beat a boss, you have to have them all to get through this door." I had some of these items but didn't have them all and reaaaaally didn't feel like going back to all the boss rooms to search for them. I'd gotten bored with the game by that point anyway because all the battles were the same thing over and over again. DIVOS2 was much more fun from start to finish though its pacing at the end is definitely pretty blah, but it's easier to get through it. Meanwhile in DIVOS1 pretty much everything is downhill in quality and fun after you leave the giant town at the beginning.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: Ruppe21

Ruppe21
3 weeks ago#16
XianMei posted...

I could name so many titles now it would spin your head.

But to stay on topic, It's not needed to play Dos1 but it's a decent game set in the Divinity universe so why not.
While you're at it you might want to try the older Divinity games as well, they are all pretty great except Beyond divinity.

User Info: XianMei

XianMei
3 weeks ago#17
Ruppe21 posted...
XianMei posted...

I could name so many titles now it would spin your head.

But to stay on topic, It's not needed to play Dos1 but it's a decent game set in the Divinity universe so why not.
While you're at it you might want to try the older Divinity games as well, they are all pretty great except Beyond divinity.

I'm all ears. If you won't respond here, can you make a topic covering this?
My quest to beat 40 games by March 1st 2018!
https://pastebin.com/8i5EiCi1

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 weeks ago#18
XianMei posted...
The gameBoge posted...
XianMei posted...

The Witcher 3?

It's made in a way that doesn't expect you to have played the previous games at all. yeah, you'll miss out on some minor details, but that's about it.

I tried playing it and felt like I needed to know what was going on, who the characters were, why I was searching for one of them who I didn't even know who she was. Maybe you can play it without knowing all that, but it felt that way more than most other games I can think of. It's true though, most games really don't play the true sequel these days. I like true sequels.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: chandl34

chandl34
3 weeks ago#19
I'm on a DOS2 run. I played through DOS1 a while back, and I can't remember anything about it except Barracus Rex and Jahan.
... even on Earth Mode.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need to play the first Divinity: Original Sin to enjoy the second game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived