This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm curious if this type of visual novel exists.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm curious if this type of visual novel exists.

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
2 weeks ago#31
Zero Escape comes to mind. First game was released on the DS in 2009, and the second was released in 2012 for Vita and 3DS, but the bundle of them hit the PC/PS4 this year. And the third game was released last year.

Although, the games are rather puzzle heavy, so I guess they wouldn't qualify to what you want.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: Jimmys

Jimmys
2 weeks ago#32
You could try Long Live the Queen, on steam.
You play as a young queen you basically have to try and survive various assassination attempts and the like with court intrigue and stuff. You choose which classes to attend and what to say to people and where to go etc

Its not like a typical VN more like a CYOA because theres lots of ways to die and it ends the game if you do
What Doth Life

User Info: Cpt_Communism

Cpt_Communism
2 weeks ago#33
Here's some others that stuck in my mind years after reading them and fills your criteria.

G-Senjou no maou. Mostly a psychological battle between a mobster and a mysterious guy making his life hell. Reminds me of The Departed movie.

Rewrite. Kid with superhuman powers finds a secret war waged between superhumans and magic cultists. It's a KEY VN, it's long and has an unlock able part 2 which really questions what you know.

Swan Song. Starts with a world ending disaster and is a story about survival and the darkness of the human heart at the of civilization.
You're not obligated to attend every argument.
The ability to walk away from something stupid is a huge boost to daily life.

User Info: XianMei

XianMei
2 weeks ago#34
Jimmys posted...
You could try Long Live the Queen, on steam.
You play as a young queen you basically have to try and survive various assassination attempts and the like with court intrigue and stuff. You choose which classes to attend and what to say to people and where to go etc

Its not like a typical VN more like a CYOA because theres lots of ways to die and it ends the game if you do

Oh yeah, I watched a couple play through it on youtube. it was kinda cool. Super super hard though, one of those games that expects you to make a TON of backup saves as from what I've seen you have to really really plan ahead for you're gonna die, anjd you will die...a lot!

Wouldn't mind seeing some people on youtube who are really good at this type of game go through similar visual novels.
My quest to beat 40 games by March 1st 2018!
https://pastebin.com/8i5EiCi1

User Info: XianMei

XianMei
2 weeks ago#35
Cpt_Communism posted...
Rewrite. Kid with superhuman powers finds a secret war waged between superhumans and magic cultists. It's a KEY VN, it's long and has an unlock able part 2 which really questions what you know.

I was told the first half was slice of life. Would you say that's the case?
My quest to beat 40 games by March 1st 2018!
https://pastebin.com/8i5EiCi1

User Info: loki00_00

loki00_00
2 weeks ago#36
What you're asking for almost certainly exists, but you might have to put up with the gameplay elements of Virtue's Last Reward, 999, and Corpse Party, you may also enjoy Steins Gate.
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board

User Info: Cpt_Communism

Cpt_Communism
2 weeks ago#37
XianMei posted...
Cpt_Communism posted...

I was told the first half was slice of life. Would you say that's the case?

Not half. Just the common route, it gets serious when it starts branching. It shouldn't be a problem anyway because Key is the only company that does slice of life right. Rewrite and Little Busters are the only VN where I found the slice of life parts to be legitimately funny and interesting rather than boring and cringey.
You're not obligated to attend every argument.
The ability to walk away from something stupid is a huge boost to daily life.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
2 weeks ago#38
I consider Tales from the Borderlands a VN, and aside from a handful of QTE's, it meets your criteria.

User Info: kanestation

kanestation
2 weeks ago#39
Tokyo Babel fits this, a fair bit of combat - it does contain a lot of biblical lore though, personally I think it was done well.

I would suggest Higurashi and Umineko, but they do contain slice of life at the start, Rose Guns Days by the same author is less slice of life/murder mystery and more gang/action and alt history.
Higanbana is also kind of slice of life/school based but it is more horror/yokai focused.

Edit: Tokyo Babel is the only modern one translated in the last 5 years, Higurashi and Umineko do have remakes and ps3 graphic/voice mods though.

User Info: Paragon21XX

Paragon21XX
2 weeks ago#40
No mention of Saya no Uta yet? For shame.
Hmm...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm curious if this type of visual novel exists.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived