This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a chromebook a decent gaming laptop?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is a chromebook a decent gaming laptop?

User Info: RHF

RHF
3 weeks ago#1
Not sure where to post, as I'm never on this side of the board, but currently camping outside best buy for a new tv and they have two sets of chromebooks on sale for 80 dollars off each, I'm looking particular the samsung 4gb memory, 32gb eMMc, intel celeron.

I'm not a big pc gamer, but I wouldn't mind something for on the go gaming, specifically to play Old republic and Guild wars 2. I tend to be behind with pc gaming. I read of a post that the chrombook OS has some issues running Old republic, but the topic was from 4 years ago.
For great justice! And Fruit Pies! *Official #1 supporter for Hsien-ko*

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#2
chromebook is just a netbook IIRC
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#3
zhenghan posted...

Not quite but close enough. There are some high end Chromebooks now but gaming should be the absolute last thing on anyone's mind when buying one.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 weeks ago#4
Orestes417 posted...
zhenghan posted...

Not quite but close enough. There are some high end Chromebooks now but gaming should be the absolute last thing on anyone's mind when buying one.

I think the high end ones are called PixelBook
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: shmirlywhirl

shmirlywhirl
3 weeks ago#5
How much you saving on that TV?
Now with 100% real fruit juice

RHF
3 weeks ago#6
shmirlywhirl posted...

It's $119 for the sale, normally $199. I decided to hold off though, as I'm sure tgere will be slightly better deals next time, but still curious on their performance for future reference

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
3 weeks ago#7
I think you will regret buying a laptop for gaming without dedicated (mobile) graphics.

Maybe you could get the cheap piece of junk for web browsing, but then why wouldn't you just do that on your phone?
In-progress PC: i3-8350K, 16GB DDR4-3600 (2x8), Gigabyte Z370 motherboard, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic 520W PSU, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, Phanteks case

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 weeks ago#8
GoldenSun3DS posted...
but then why wouldn't you just do that on your phone?

Tiny f***ing screen and lack of proper keyboard? Just sayin...
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: cancerquake

cancerquake
3 weeks ago#9
chromebooks at that price point have worse specs than a decent phone and are pretty much google office with a decent-sized screen + keyboard

you want a computer with at least a mobile pentium to play a game made within the last two decades
boom

RHF
3 weeks ago#10
RHF posted...
shmirlywhirl posted...

It's $119 for the sale, normally $199. I decided to hold off though, as I'm sure tgere will be slightly better deals next time, but still curious on their performance for future reference

Oh whooops. Sorry. Thought it was about the laptop. The tv was $180 instead of $500, 50 inch 4k smart tv by sharp
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is a chromebook a decent gaming laptop?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived