This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Friends - How is the overall performance optimization of Prey or Dishonored 2

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Friends - How is the overall performance optimization of Prey or Dishonored 2

User Info: PhazonReborn

PhazonReborn
3 weeks ago#1
I've been gravitating toward older games over the last year or so because I just dislike the overall lack of performance optimization on bigger budget games. The Witcher 3 is one of the best looking and best optimized games I've ever played on PC so it's disappointing that a lot of other games, whose graphics and scope aren't even close to being as ambitious run like dog s*** on my system.

Anyway I've always been interested in Dishonored 2 and Prey and I see that they are half off, and they have favorable reviews from Steam users. I gave both demos a shot and they both ran well on default settings, but what can I expect from the overall product? I know demo's aren't always the greatest judge of a game, because later areas can be taxing on hardware and such.

GTX 1060 6GB
i5-4690K
8GB Ram
Windows 10

Also which game between the two do you guys think is the better value? I don't mind a 15 to 20 hour game if it has good replay value. I am also open to both if they are really good games.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks
The Phazon you know and trust since 2004

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#2
If the demo ran fine then the full game will run just as good if not better

Also Youtube has plenty of benchmarks as well.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

PhazonReborn
3 weeks ago#3
Fade2black001 posted...
If the demo ran fine then the full game will run just as good if not better

Also Youtube has plenty of benchmarks as well.

Eh, normally I would agree but demo areas tend to be less graphically taxing on hardware

For instance - Not a big area with draw distances and NPCs around etc

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
3 weeks ago#4
Prey ran fine on my 970. I got Dis2 at launch and it was unplayable, waited several months for patches and they improved it but there was still lots of stuttering and inconsistent framerates.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

PhazonReborn
3 weeks ago#5
I decided to go ahead and buy Prey during the sale. So far this game is really good, reminds me of Dead Space & Bioshock combined. I really like the Recycle/Fabricate ammo/weapons thing. Super cool.

It's running fine so far, 60 fps @ 1080p using my rig above at the HIGH preset so I'm happy.

User Info: Somato

Somato
3 weeks ago#6
Haven't played Prey so idk, but they use the same engine so....

Dishonored 2 when it first released was garbage on PC, but now it's pretty good. Just make sure to turn adaptive resolution off

EDIT - I have a GTX 970
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf / DarKnight_sf

PhazonReborn
3 weeks ago#7
Somato posted...
Haven't played Prey so idk, but they use the same engine so....

I don't think that is correct.

I think Prey uses the Crytek Engine and Dishonored uses a different one that Arkane designed.

EDIT - Dishonored 2 uses the VOID engine
Prey uses the CRYEngine 5

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#8
PhazonReborn posted...
I decided to go ahead and buy Prey during the sale. So far this game is really good, reminds me of Dead Space & Bioshock combined. I really like the Recycle/Fabricate ammo/weapons thing. Super cool.

It's running fine so far, 60 fps @ 1080p using my rig above at the HIGH preset so I'm happy.

So you are saying its like system shock then?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

PhazonReborn
3 weeks ago#9
captsplatter_1 posted...
PhazonReborn posted...

....it is a lot like system shock, yes.

In fact it takes great amounts of ideas and concepts from that game.

Still very enjoyable however. While I appreciate older games more than new, System Shock 2 hasn't aged well and even with a heavily modded game, I struggled staying engaged for the entire game.

Deus Ex in comparison aged much better than System Shock 2 did

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 weeks ago#10
PhazonReborn posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
PhazonReborn posted...

....it is a lot like system shock, yes.

In fact it takes great amounts of ideas and concepts from that game.

Still very enjoyable however. While I appreciate older games more than new, System Shock 2 hasn't aged well and even with a heavily modded game, I struggled staying engaged for the entire game.

Deus Ex in comparison aged much better than System Shock 2 did

System Shock is getting a remake.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Friends - How is the overall performance optimization of Prey or Dishonored 2

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived