This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which CPU should I get?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which CPU should I get?

User Info: wuphilly

wuphilly
2 weeks ago#1
I've been wanting to upgrade to a i5 8600k, but they're hard to find and currently way over priced on Amazon. Newegg has a black Friday sale on i7 7700k. Which one would be better for gaming? I like the 6 cores of the i5 but the i7 has the additional threads. I don't do much multitasking or film editing.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
2 weeks ago#2
Check out the i5 8400 or i7 8700 instead. You'll save money on skipping the cooler and they're almost as fast as the K editions.

You don't want to get an i7 7700k today unless it's very cheap. The newer i5 and i7 are better.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

wuphilly
2 weeks ago#3
godplaysSNES posted...
Check out the i5 8400 or i7 8700 instead. You'll save money on skipping the cooler and they're almost as fast as the K editions.

You don't want to get an i7 7700k today unless it's very cheap. The newer i5 and i7 are better.

Thanks. I really would like a k version for overclocking though. I'm not in a rush, I'll just wait for the 8600k to become more available.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
2 weeks ago#4
Overclocking isn't worth the additional expenses anymore IMO.
Anandtech's Coffee Lake review says the i5 8400 just has 300 mhz lower turbo speeds than the i5 8600k.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: 50inchDLP

50inchDLP
2 weeks ago#5
Take a tip from me and dont bother with OCing. In the old days I always OCed and back then it was worth it. My newest PC I skipped the unlocked CPU and went for an i7 3770 and use the stock cooler and thats since 2013. Take the money saved from the non-unlocked CPU and the fancy cooler and get yourself a better GPU or something. Also forgot to add you save a ton not going with the OCing Motherboard as well. I have been perfectly happy with my i7 3770 and it will be obsolete the same time as the guy with the i7 3770k OCed on water so dont worry lol. Dont fall for the companies pushing this overpriced OC crap its not needed anymore really.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thereal50inchDLP -My youtube http://otrarchive.blogspot.com/2014/02/fibber-mcgee-and-molly.html -Best show ever

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 weeks ago#6
I imagine OC will work for me once my build is on its last legs, but currently I didn't notice any improvement when I did OC it.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

wuphilly
2 weeks ago#7
Let me also ad that I currently have an i5 3570k with a 980ti. Am I a fool to upgrade at this point? I game at 4k and 1440p at 60hz. I know it's not totally necessary to do the upgrade but my wife and I are expecting our first child in June, so I figured best to upgrade now before money becomes a bigger issue. I wanted to future proof for as long as possible. Was planning on getting the 8600k, a volta card and 16gb ram and hopefully be set for 7+ years.

User Info: arjames13

arjames13
2 weeks ago#8
I have similar specs and had a i5 4690k. Got a great deal on r/hardwarewap for a i7 7700k with a motherboard and 16GB of ram for $250. There's definitely an increase in performance and I can safely upgrade my GPU when the next Nvidia line comes out.

Did a bit of research and found the 8600k is about right on par with the 7700k and the 8700k is really only a bit better than the 7700k in gaming, though it's definitely a good deal better in workstation stuff. If you aren't doing anything workstation related the 7700k has some great deals right now and will be a good deal cheaper for similar performance.
PSN ID: Fangnfx
i7 7700k @5.0GHz | Corsair H100i v2 | Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 | 32GB RAM | EVGA SC GTX 1070 | EVGA Supernova G2 750w |

wuphilly
2 weeks ago#9
arjames13 posted...
I have similar specs and had a i5 4690k. Got a great deal on r/hardwarewap for a i7 7700k with a motherboard and 16GB of ram for $250. There's definitely an increase in performance and I can safely upgrade my GPU when the next Nvidia line comes out.

Did a bit of research and found the 8600k is about right on par with the 7700k and the 8700k is really only a bit better than the 7700k in gaming, though it's definitely a good deal better in workstation stuff. If you aren't doing anything workstation related the 7700k has some great deals right now and will be a good deal cheaper for similar performance.

I've thought about the 7700k, but I'm really wanting the additional cores you get with the 8600k. I know the 7700k has the extra threads, but I don't do any of the video editing stuff or live streaming.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 weeks ago#10
The K series if you OC and if you do want to worry about upgrading for a while the i7 6core K series
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which CPU should I get?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived