This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you buy loot boxes without a credit card?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can you buy loot boxes without a credit card?

User Info: metaIslug

metaIslug
2 weeks ago#1
Or debit card, whatever.

Bringing up the obvious news of the government coming in to ban lootbox games, the question of how much kids are affected by lootbox gambling s*** is being brought to the front. I don't know s*** about this, I don't have kids or hell I don't talk to any kids at all. My question is simply this, and I feel like people here who use Steam and PSN alot might know. Can you use Steam or PSN credit to buy lootbox s***? Because if they can, it's a serious issue. If they can't, how much of this is just overreaction?

As a kid, I bought alot of booster packs for Magic the Gathering cards. It's rather embarassing because I would actually spend all my allowance....and more.... on that s***. It's not a joke, I honestly feel pain thinking about it. I was obsessed. It's easy to snag a $5 bill and go to a store and buy cards. How much of that do you think is comparable to lootboxes?

User Info: IfritSan

IfritSan
2 weeks ago#2
I can’t speak for steam or PSN but in Overwatch you can use your blizzard wallet to buy lootboxes. So a really addicted kid could steal money from their parents to buy prepaid cards and use those on LBs.

I never heard of it actually happening, but the possibility is there. I assume PSN wallet can also be used.
3ds fc : 4296 4253 9286

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
2 weeks ago#3
It's incredibly easy for a kid to grab a parent's CCard and memorize the card numbers.

When I was in highschool I remember going to my buddies house, he pulled up steam and had that credit card typed in on a payment page instantly without hesitation without even asking his mom. I was surprised to say the least, having lived my life to that point being incredibly used to having no access to any sort of money of my own.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
2 weeks ago#4
To buy the lootbox, it draws from your credit, for whatever platform you're on. For example, I bought some DLC (for SFV I think it was) and it was below 5. You'd think it'd let you spend the exact amount for it right? Wrong. I had to deposit 5 to the Steam Wallet first.

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
2 weeks ago#5
when I was in high school, I bought several games online for the PS2 with a credit card number I found floating around in a saved text file on my uncle's computer. It was an email they were compusing to cancel the card and even had the expiration date and security number on the back listed in said text file. I had them delivered to a friend's house and smuggled them home in my backpack. They cancelled the card before the billing period actually hit and no one found out.

I was an a******, but somewhat crafty. I would reckon that plenty of kids have ways of getting their family's cards, or spending what money they have on prepaids
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: metaIslug

metaIslug
2 weeks ago#6
Ok that's all I needed to know. I've seen some people argue that this is all really bulls***, because a kid could not have access to loot boxes in any way. Which I thought had to be wrong. Just needed the confirmation

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 weeks ago#7
There was a video that went viral about a dad who sledgehammered his kid's Xbox 360 because the kid kept stealing his ATM/Debit card info to use on Xbox Live.

Also this article exists:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/xbox-bill-credit-card-refunded-1.3418669

In that case, the parent gave the credit card to the kid "for emergencies" and emergencies wound up being microtransactions on an EA game (wow, who would have guessed that one?)
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

daemon_dan
2 weeks ago#8
arleas posted...
There was a video that went viral about a dad who sledgehammered his kid's Xbox 360 because the kid kept stealing his ATM/Debit card info to use on Xbox Live.

Also this article exists:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/xbox-bill-credit-card-refunded-1.3418669

In that case, the parent gave the credit card to the kid "for emergencies" and emergencies wound up being microtransactions on an EA game (wow, who would have guessed that one?)

Lol. Susceptibility to addiction and poor impulse control on display there
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 weeks ago#9
arleas posted...

While that is awesome in that it's a nice contrast to all the over-indulgent parents that create entitled little brats that turn into insufferable adults, it feels like the kid not having compunctions regarding using his parents money without their permission is a classic case of parental failure.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

daemon_dan
2 weeks ago#10
JKatarn posted...
arleas posted...

While that is awesome in that it's a nice contrast to all the over-indulgent parents that create entitled little brats that turn into insufferable adults, it feels like the kid not having compunctions regarding using his parents money without their permission is a classic case of parental failure.

I always find it hilarious when people bring up this "parental failure" nonsense. Are you telling me that as a kid/teen you never disobeyed your upbringing? That's what humans do.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can you buy loot boxes without a credit card?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived