This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I need certain accessories (KB&M) for gaming on PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need certain accessories (KB&M) for gaming on PC?

User Info: DepreceV2

DepreceV2
2 weeks ago#1
I'm a mega rookie at PC gaming. I never seriously did it before. I decided to really give it a try so I'm getting ready for it.

I just bought me a 4K HDR monitor. That isn't mainly for PC gaming. It's for the Xbox one X I will eventually be getting. Maybe in a year from now. The monitor will also be good enough for gaming on PC.

I'm not building a PC. I don't know how and it sounds like a hassle. After asking around I've settled on buying the Vanquish 7. (Lowest version) People say it's a great starting PC and upgrade friendly if I decide to upgrade and start get into building. Here is a link:

http://www.digitalstorm.com/vanquish-7.asp

I'll probably buy this in January since I will have my car paid off by then.

My question is... what else? I know I'll need a mouse and keyboard. Mouse pad. Etc. Does it really matter what kb&m and mouse pad you get? I'm sure there are better ones out there but is it a comfort thing or what? I'm sorry this is such a basic question.

Also, anything else I needed? I already have a Astro A50 headset so I'm good on that.
GT: Deprece (X1) Hunter 32/ Titan 32/ Warlock 32
IB/ GHorn/ Vex/ Faithbringer/ Thunder/ Etc

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
2 weeks ago#2
If your PC comes with a Keyboard & Mouse then you'll be fine using those. Otherwise you can pick up the Cooler Master Devastator Keyboard & Mouse kit for $30.

Also, since you said you'll also be getting an Xbox One, you'll be happy to know that Windows 10 natively supports Xbox One controllers. Just plug it in via USB and Windows will automatically download and install the necessary drivers.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: celebar

celebar
2 weeks ago#3
That PC is overpriced as f***. Like over twice as much as it's actually worth. Luckily you checked with us before buying which is a good call.

Even though it only takes about an hour to learn how to build a PC you can still find cheaper prebuilts than that with way better specs.

You shouldn't buy a PC until you understand what exactly it is that you're buying. Like how the GPU and CPU perform in modern games, what features the motherboard has and so on. That PC is actually weaker than an xbone x despite costing $300 more. Like a lot weaker. It's a terrible deal.
thank you for reading my post
regards, celebar

User Info: Laihendi

Laihendi
2 weeks ago#4
DepreceV2 posted...
People say it's a great starting PC and upgrade friendly if I decide to upgrade and start get into building.

Who says this? Honestly it sounds like someone's trying to rip you off.
The cranky hermit 2 weeks ago#5
It's not bad, but for the price you could do a lot better with building. Or you could build the same for about $500. Just thought you should know, and nobody is born knowing how to build.

In any event, however you proceed, I think you're going to find that the XBox One X isn't really necessary. That PC is going to play the same games as an XBox One X, and more games that it doesn't than every worthwhile console exclusive from every console combined, and with a bit of an upgrade it will handle true 4K just as well or better.

I'd suggest you just get whatever keyboard and mouse feel comfortable to you. There are models that appeal to enthusiasts, but you don't need anything special for the entry level, you just need something that isn't garbage. Don't worry about other peripherals. There are enthusiast joysticks and steering wheels, but mainly for hardcore driving and flight sim players.

And you'll want a gamepad or two for certain kinds of games. Platformers, fighting games, Dark Souls, Cuphead, and flight sims and racing games of the more casual nature. I'm assuming you already have some - DS3's, DS4's, and XBox 360 / XBO controllers work fine on PCs, with a little bit of work.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
2 weeks ago#6
AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GeForce GTX 1050 2GB
8GB DDR4 Memory
2TB 7200RPM Storage

Sounds like you should stick with getting the One X instead. $799 for a mediocre PC that is not on par with the Xbox One X, or getting the One X for $499... Seems like a no-brainer to be honest.

The upgrade for that PC you are going to want, is about $400.

4K gaming on that PC is also not going to be high-end games, definitely not maxed out settings in 4K, and definitely not 60fps at 4K.

Either go all in, and get the model with the 1080ti, or get the xbox.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.
The cranky hermit 2 weeks ago#7
ApexMjolnir posted...
$799 for a mediocre PC that is not on par with the Xbox One X, or getting the One X for $499... Seems like a no-brainer to be honest.

Between them I'd go with the PC. Access to an unimaginably vast catalog of games plus the option of upgrading to 4K capable later > playing a tiny library of games with almost no exclusives at 4K.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: celebar

celebar
2 weeks ago#8
I'd go for a good PC that isn't overpriced by hundreds of dollars.
thank you for reading my post
regards, celebar

User Info: DepreceV2

DepreceV2
2 weeks ago#9
celebar posted...
That PC is overpriced as f***. Like over twice as much as it's actually worth. Luckily you checked with us before buying which is a good call.

Even though it only takes about an hour to learn how to build a PC you can still find cheaper prebuilts than that with way better specs.

You shouldn't buy a PC until you understand what exactly it is that you're buying. Like how the GPU and CPU perform in modern games, what features the motherboard has and so on. That PC is actually weaker than an xbone x despite costing $300 more. Like a lot weaker. It's a terrible deal.

Wow. That's crazy. I had no idea it was that weak. Maybe you guys can recommend me some starter PCs. I'm huge into First Person Shooters if that helps.

ApexMjolnir posted...
AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GeForce GTX 1050 2GB
8GB DDR4 Memory
2TB 7200RPM Storage

Sounds like you should stick with getting the One X instead. $799 for a mediocre PC that is not on par with the Xbox One X, or getting the One X for $499... Seems like a no-brainer to be honest.

The upgrade for that PC you are going to want, is about $400.

4K gaming on that PC is also not going to be high-end games, definitely not maxed out settings in 4K, and definitely not 60fps at 4K.

Either go all in, and get the model with the 1080ti, or get the xbox.

I wasn't really looking to game in 4K on PC out the gate. 1440 or even 1080 is fine. I don't know if I will love gaming on PC so I don't want to go all in on something I might not like. I really need a new PC in general so I decided this is a time to try PC gaming.

Also, I'm getting an Xbox regardless most likely. I don't see myself putting it down when I would leave behind so many friends I have. Plus, I have family I game with on there as well.

If I really enjoy PC gaming I might not get the X though and just stick with my regular Xbox One
GT: Deprece (X1) Hunter 32/ Titan 32/ Warlock 32
IB/ GHorn/ Vex/ Faithbringer/ Thunder/ Etc

User Info: Somato

Somato
2 weeks ago#10
It use to be that getting a pre-built was a huge insane rip-off and it was sooooooo much better to build your own.

These days most places will put together a pretty good PC and only charge about $100 more than the parts would cost on their own. And you'll get a warranty on the build as well as all the individual ones for the parts.

That PC you linked is not one of those good pre-built ones. Hell you don't even know anything about the PSU in it. It's probably not upgrade friendly if the PSU in it is s***.
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf / DarKnight_sf
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I need certain accessories (KB&M) for gaming on PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived