This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC for FullHD gaming and graphic design.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC for FullHD gaming and graphic design.

User Info: Yi_Long

Yi_Long
2 weeks ago#1
I'm looking for some recommendation when it comes to building my new PC. Kinda want to take advantage of some nice Black Friday weekend deals, figuring I might 100-200 bucks orso compared to building it next week/month.

Anyway, I wanna go with Ryzen, best bang for your buck.
I'm a bit in doubt between 1700X or 1800X. There's a 40 euro difference between the two, but if the difference in quality is very little, I'd rather spend those 40 euro towards more/better/faster RAM, or a better motherboard, or even a bigger HDD.

The good news is, I already have a 970 lying around, so that will be the GPU. No need to spend money on that.

So with Ryzen, there have been problems reported about RAM not working properly (conflicts or whatever).Any of that solved yet?

Should I go with RAM that's 3000/3200, considering how Ryzen is said to benefit from faster RAM, or would DDR4 2400 be fine? I'm thinking about getting at least 16GB, perhaps 32GB.

Anything to keep in mind about the Motherboard and it's compatibility with Ryzen (AM4), the RAM, the aforementioned 970GTX?

And what kind of powersupply would I need to feed all this properly? I haven't been keeping up to date with how energy-efficient the newer generations of GPUs and CPUs are these days... Would 500 Watt be enough?

Oh, it will output video to 3 seperate screens: 2 monitors, and a Cintiq tablet. Which I assume might be a bit taxing ...

Case will probably be a Fractal Design, because it's supposed to be very quiet and has easy cable-management.

Budget is around 1000-1200 euro, depending on how fancy we wanna go with the SSD and HDDs.

User Info: SNES_64_DC_Xbox

SNES_64_DC_Xbox
2 weeks ago#2
Yi_Long posted...
Should I go with RAM that's 3000/3200

yes

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DwGdpb perhaps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6qzv0pTE-M
https://medium.com/@SixFootTurkey64

User Info: fallen_acolyte

fallen_acolyte
2 weeks ago#3
I would suggest looking at pc partpicker and see some customer builds. Not so much as just buying what you see but getting an understanding on chosen parts and builds.
()___(_______()~~
PSN: Fallen_Acolyte XBL: Fallen Acolyte

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 weeks ago#4
A RAM speed jump from 3000-3200 you will not notice anything
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 weeks ago#5
Okay so to start, 1700x and 1800x are f***ing terrible values, both of them. Get the 1700, as it's almost as good as the 1800x, and a LOT cheaper. Same chip, just slightly different clocks.

Ryzen loves fast RAM, but you should look into what RAM your motherboard supports. Ryzen is doing a lot better with memory compatibility now, but it's still not perfect. Getting any ol' 3200mhz kit isn't going to necessarily get you 3200mhz memory speeds. Also, it varies from CPU to CPU, as the memory clock sets the infinity fabric clock.

PSU wise, 500w should be plenty. Ryzen is an efficient architecture.
Outputting to more screens isn't a big deal. I'm sure your 970 can handle that fine. However, depending on the cintiq, you may need to get a PCIE USB 3.1 Type C with Displayport Alternate Mode and a Displayport Passthrough function. These are not common. In fact, I think there's two, one of which is Asus and only officially supports a single Asus motherboard, though it apparently isn't any more reliable on that than anything else, and a Sunix card, which is a no-name brand but apparently works fine even without an actual PCIE slot.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

Yi_Long
2 weeks ago#6
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Okay so to start, 1700x and 1800x are f***ing terrible values, both of them. Get the 1700, as it's almost as good as the 1800x, and a LOT cheaper. Same chip, just slightly different clocks.

Ryzen loves fast RAM, but you should look into what RAM your motherboard supports. Ryzen is doing a lot better with memory compatibility now, but it's still not perfect. Getting any ol' 3200mhz kit isn't going to necessarily get you 3200mhz memory speeds. Also, it varies from CPU to CPU, as the memory clock sets the infinity fabric clock.

PSU wise, 500w should be plenty. Ryzen is an efficient architecture.
Outputting to more screens isn't a big deal. I'm sure your 970 can handle that fine. However, depending on the cintiq, you may need to get a PCIE USB 3.1 Type C with Displayport Alternate Mode and a Displayport Passthrough function. These are not common. In fact, I think there's two, one of which is Asus and only officially supports a single Asus motherboard, though it apparently isn't any more reliable on that than anything else, and a Sunix card, which is a no-name brand but apparently works fine even without an actual PCIE slot.

Thank you for your extensive reply (as well as the others who have replied: thank you). I've decided to go with the 1700X, considering it's on sale because of Black Friday, so it's only 10 bucks more expensive than the 1700, and should be a better quality chip (batch)

Will be deciding on a motherboard and RAM tomorrow. The Cintiq is a 13HD or something. Not quite sure, but it's a few years old. Barely used so far cause it wouldn't play nice with Paint Tool Sai, which was my go-to program on my old Wacom when it comes to inking... (couldn't get pressure sensitivity to work properly).

Was also gonna get the Fractal Design R5 Define case, but sadly just went out of stock once I wanted to place the order, which was very annoying to say the least...

Anyway,1700X ordered.

This will be my first PC build, so everything is really new to me, and I appreciate all the help I can get :)

DarkZV2Beta
2 weeks ago#7
Not sure, but you may be able to get Wintab drivers(what you need for old SAI to work) from Wacom. I thought they would include those, though? My Pro 16 works both with Wintab and Tablet PC drivers(and works way, way better with wintab for some reason) in Clip Studio.
That said, it could also be that Sai is expecting a specific set of pressure levels.

Either way, if you can't get Sai working, I recommend trying out Clip Studio Paint. It has a similarly classic convention for it's UI, so it should be easy to get familiar with it, and it's been tooled with some pretty impressive featuresets to boot.(it's also 64bit, so multiple multilayer massive canvases)

Yi_Long
1 week ago#8
Yeah, heard good stuff about Clip Paint Studio, so will try it out, although for inking SAI is supposedly still the best option. Obviously needs to work though...

Anyway, got my Ryzen in the mail last week, will order an SSD, HDD, Motherboard and case this week. SSD will probably be the Samsung 850 Evo (500GB). Still not sure about MOBO though. And HDD will probably be 3 or 5TB. Not sure yet.

DarkZV2Beta
1 week ago#9
I'm curious how clip performs on Ryzen, actually; if you get the chance, could you do some benchmarking(esp if you can record a video) of Smooth Watercolor on very large canvas/brush sizes, and with amount and density of paint maxed(for clarity of lines in the video) and brush sizes of 100, 150, 250, and 500?
I have a theory that clip likes cache size, and Ryzen has a lot more cache than my pitiable i5 does, but I'd like to confirm it if possible.

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
1 week ago#10
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JdrWVY
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC for FullHD gaming and graphic design.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived