This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help buying a new PSU

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need help buying a new PSU

User Info: refmon

refmon
1 month ago#1
upgrading to either 650w or 750w but I really don't know much about what brands to trust or what are considered good prices.

Buying from Canada if that makes a difference.
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!

User Info: Doublesouba

Doublesouba
1 month ago#2
Buying from Canada unfortunately does make a difference. PSUs are going to be more expensive for you. As for what brands are good, I like Corsair and EVGA. Dis you have one you were looking at?
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 MoBo, i5 4690k, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUS GTX 1080 Strix. Proud owner of an '86 Chevy El Camino.
Waiting for Ys VIII, Wolfenstein 2 New Colossus

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
1 month ago#3
EVGA, SEASONIC, CORSAIR, ANTEC

one of those
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
1 month ago#4
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Buy any Tier 1 or 2 PSU and you are golden.

If the PSU you looking at isn't in the Tier list, go to jonnyguru.com and look there.

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#5
EVGA SuperNova G2/G3/P2 lines are all good for the money. Corsair RMx/RMi lines. Seasonic Focus Plus is also pretty good. EVGA and Corsair have Phenomenal customer service if you have issues. I've never tried to RMA anything to Seasonic so I can't comment on that. When you have a unit carrying a 10 year warranty ease of RMA needs to be a factor you consider during purchase. I've heard Corsair has picked up the shipping on returns from several people. EVGA does not. You pay to ship to them and they pay to ship it back to you. From a recent experience with a bad fan in a P2 unit I can tell you that FedEx Ground with $200 worth of insurance ran me about $27 shipping from Virginia to California. There goes my rebate. I bought it from Newegg, which from past experience I don't trust with returns. Amazon would have got that sorted for me at their cost, but their initial price was higher. Overall I'd recommend buying from Amazon just for the top notch service.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: refmon

refmon
1 month ago#6
Thanks, I'll go for EVGA SuperNova G2 or G3 for sure then.
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#7
EVGA is really good I heard as PSUs go, heard some issues with GPUs though, but PSUs are solid. Cool thing about the PSUs from EVGA is if there is a power surge the PSU is the only thing that gets fried. Thus only having to replace the PSU, leaving the rest of the components unharmed. Mine is an 850w which is complete overkill, but it should last me awhile.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: TheRaging

TheRaging
1 month ago#8
Consult this list:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2293.htm

Any PSU who's OEM is Superflower is top notch.
Enthoo EVOLV ATX | i7-6850K | X99A Gaming | Dominator 32GB | EVGA 1080 Ti, EVGA 1030 | 960 Pro 512 GB, 840 Evo 250GBx2 | SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#9
captsplatter_1 posted...
EVGA is really good I heard as PSUs go, heard some issues with GPUs though, but PSUs are solid. Cool thing about the PSUs from EVGA is if there is a power surge the PSU is the only thing that gets fried. Thus only having to replace the PSU, leaving the rest of the components unharmed. Mine is an 850w which is complete overkill, but it should last me awhile.

Generally I agree with this, but every company has issues. In my case, I just bought a P2 and I've already had to RMA it for fan noise. Every component is made cheap and disposable these days. It's a shame, but nothing is made to last like it use to be. EVGA was phenomenal as far as the RMA process went, though their online process was broken and I had to initiate it directly through customer service. They do not pay shipping to send it to them though so sending a $200 PSU all the way across the country cost me about $25 in freight. I've heard Corsair has actually picked up the freight bill at least in some situations. Any of the upper tier PSUs are going to be good, so you really have to look at the service you get from the manufacturer when making a decision. On a PSU rated to last 10 years the RMA process can be very important. I prefer to buy from Amazon if possible because of the ease of sending something back without cost to me in the first 30 days or whatever the return policy is. Unfortunately Newegg has had better prices this holiday season. Trying to return something to Newegg though can be a nightmare.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: TheRaging

TheRaging
1 month ago#10
gideond posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...

Generally I agree with this, but every company has issues. In my case, I just bought a P2 and I've already had to RMA it for fan noise. Every component is made cheap and disposable these days. It's a shame, but nothing is made to last like it use to be. EVGA was phenomenal as far as the RMA process went, though their online process was broken and I had to initiate it directly through customer service. They do not pay shipping to send it to them though so sending a $200 PSU all the way across the country cost me about $25 in freight. I've heard Corsair has actually picked up the freight bill at least in some situations. Any of the upper tier PSUs are going to be good, so you really have to look at the service you get from the manufacturer when making a decision. On a PSU rated to last 10 years the RMA process can be very important. I prefer to buy from Amazon if possible because of the ease of sending something back without cost to me in the first 30 days or whatever the return policy is. Unfortunately Newegg has had better prices this holiday season. Trying to return something to Newegg though can be a nightmare.

Who do you have the fan on out of interest? In ECO Mode it never turns on. Think I've heard it once in 8 years of ownership.
Enthoo EVOLV ATX | i7-6850K | X99A Gaming | Dominator 32GB | EVGA 1080 Ti, EVGA 1030 | 960 Pro 512 GB, 840 Evo 250GBx2 | SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need help buying a new PSU

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived