This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to make PC gaming not a "boys club" and inclusive to women?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to make PC gaming not a "boys club" and inclusive to women?

User Info: BaldursGate

BaldursGate
1 month ago#31
Gynthaeres posted...
Edavy89 posted...
Why a celebar topic getting actual responses is a much better question.

Because this is an "SJW" question posted on a set of forums that are predominantly gamer right-wing and anti-SJW.

As such, people come out of the woodwork to deny any possibility of a problem, blaming either biology, or just claiming things are fine the way they are. The former is just kind of an ignorant answer -- there may be some biological differences, but they're hardly the primary reason; someone who claims this is ignoring the huge number of cultural and social influences.
And then the latter is... well, a matter of opinion more than anything. Personally I think more people playing games and consuming gaming media is good, but I can understand the people who think fewer is better, too.

You're generalising like crazy. Spoken like an actual SJW.

User Info: celebar

celebar
1 month ago#32
If you are a woman on this board then please tell us.
thank you for reading my post
regards, celebar

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
1 month ago#33
1) Women are strong and can do anything men can do
2) Women require special accommodations to feel welcome otherwise their feelings will get hurt

These are contradictory positions, you can't hold both.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#34
KaizerLaw posted...
And what exactly is stopping any woman that wants to play PC games from doing it?

Males being horrible, horrible people to them?

It's depressing I need to qualify that with a "Yeah I know, not ALL of them" but cosidering the number of people who say "Sexism in multiplayer gaming is just part of the fun", denying there's an issue with how people talk to and treat women online is just wrong.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: gpo1zephyranthes

gpo1zephyranthes
1 month ago#35
I don't see anything preventing women from buying a PC and games.

User Info: Interfusor

Interfusor
1 month ago#36
celebar posted...
Are none of you bothered that we can't even tell who the women on this board are?

*bats eyelashes*
I am not economically viable.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#37
celebar posted...
Are none of you bothered that we can't even tell who the women on this board are?

It's irrelevant, as it should be. Inclusiveness for the sake of saying you're inclusive is f***ed logic from the foundations.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
1 month ago#38
We exist, we just don't go around with little pink bows on our user names.

Why? Because gaming culture, unfortunately, has issues with sexism and it's easier to go unnoticed than to have to deal with that constantly. It's gotten better, but it can kind of be a mood killer when we just want to relax and unwind. I really don't want to be hit on or told to get back to the kitchen.

In the longer term, some of the problem is that girl children are often discouraged from "boy" hobbies like gaming, or forced to play "girl games" like Imagine Babies instead of things like Mario that should be for everyone. Let kids play games, make games that are reasonably inclusive (which tends to be corporate marketing holding the devs back), and market games to everyone, not just young men. (I mean, by all means market too young men, too, but not exclusively.)

In my experience, female gamers also tend to prefer co-operative experiences over competitive ones.
I wish I made $400k a year to spam Twitter with nonsense and go golfing in Florida every other weekend....

celebar
1 month ago#39
Orestes417 posted...
celebar posted...

It's irrelevant, as it should be. Inclusiveness for the sake of saying you're inclusive is f***ed logic from the foundations.

What about inclusiveness for the sake of women being able to relate to us better as PC gamers so that we can find more common interests and find some kind of mutual attraction between like minds but isn't also a guy?
regards, celebar

celebar
1 month ago#40
Dawnshadow posted...
We exist, we just don't go around with little pink bows on our user names.

Why? Because gaming culture, unfortunately, has issues with sexism and it's easier to go unnoticed than to have to deal with that constantly. It's gotten better, but it can kind of be a mood killer when we just want to relax and unwind. I really don't want to be hit on or told to get back to the kitchen.

In the longer term, some of the problem is that girl children are often discouraged from "boy" hobbies like gaming, or forced to play "girl games" like Imagine Babies instead of things like Mario that should be for everyone. Let kids play games, make games that are reasonably inclusive (which tends to be corporate marketing holding the devs back), and market games to everyone, not just young men. (I mean, by all means market too young men, too, but not exclusively.)

In my experience, female gamers also tend to prefer co-operative experiences over competitive ones.

Marked you as female.
regards, celebar
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to make PC gaming not a "boys club" and inclusive to women?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived