This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Predict the future - GT 1030 edition

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Predict the future - GT 1030 edition

User Info: Setzera

Setzera
1 month ago#1
While I await my Amazon package that contains the GT 1030 to arrive today, or by tomorrow the latest, I thought it would be fun to get some predictions. I'll be giving closure/results within a few days as well.

I have had this old desktop sitting in the guest room for about a year and a half, according to the last Windows update time. A brief history is that the original manufacturer date is 2008, but I found and salvaged it from the scrap pile in 2013. Took an HDD, the RAM and DVD drive out of other dead systems in the pile to bring this one back to life.

It spent about a year as a bench machine to test parts and recover data when I did IT work. After I moved on from that it just sort of sat, until now, when I decided to stick a GT 1030 in and see what happens, for fun!

https://i.imgur.com/PlOsfD9.jpg
(I have the side panel)

Specs:
-HP Pavillion 2008 Prebuild - a6618f
-AMD Phenom X3 8550, 3 core CPU @ 2.2 Ghz
-3 GB RAM (motherboard max)
2x512MB DDR2 800Mhz
2x1GB DDR2 unknown speed
-300W LiteOn Power Supply
-500GB WD Caviar HDD
-MCP61PM-HM motherboard - BTX form I think
-Windows 10 Pro 32-bit (upgrade from Vista, to Win 7 Ult, to 10)
-soon GT 1030 GPU 2GB DDR5
-soon will be using DVI not VGA
-Windows Vista sticker left on the front for added anti theft deterrent.

I've done all the updates so far and installed some games on Steam. Unless something changes when I put the GPU in, some games straight up refused to install due to an invalid platform error (like GTA 5 and Civ 6) which I believe is because of the 32 bit OS. That said, I'm only testing games that I own and want to play, not every game I own though.

Goal, 30 fps, 1366x768.
Stretch goal, 60 fps, 1080p.
Worst case goal, buying a quad core, 8GB RAM refurb system off ebay to put the GT 1030 to work.

Games:
-Total War Shogun 2
-Rocket League
-Sniper Elite 3
-Splintercell Blacklist
-Civilization 5

I realize it's not the most comprehensive test, but it's what I plan to play on this machine for the foreseeable future.

So, thoughts, predictions, memes?

User Info: 50inchDLP

50inchDLP
1 month ago#2
Setzera posted...
30 fps, 1366x768.

I think it will do that on low settings of course for modern games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thereal50inchDLP -My youtube http://otrarchive.blogspot.com/2014/02/fibber-mcgee-and-molly.html -Best show ever

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
1 month ago#3
lol now thats an antique treasure

u should try to run crysis 3 on there just for lols
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#4
Good luck holding 30+ with that CPU in more demanding software. The 1030 can probably handle it alright though.
Not sure how demanding the listed games are, either. I would expect Rocket League will be fine, and Total War will tank into the teens regularly.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#5
it's gonna be a CPU bottleneck man.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
1 month ago#6
The vista sticker is the best part.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

Setzera
1 month ago#7
Update: still waiting on Amazon package, should definitely be here today according to them.

50inchDLP posted...
Setzera posted...
30 fps, 1366x768.

I think it will do that on low settings of course for modern games.

Ah, yeah I forgot to add a graphics settings to my goal as well. I'd be alright with low if that's what I can get, but I'm going to try pushing for medium or more to see what happens.

blacklabelice posted...
lol now thats an antique treasure

u should try to run crysis 3 on there just for lols

Lol I was actually thinking I should try a Crysis game on it, but unfortunately I don't have one at the moment. I'll have a look around and see if I can find a deal.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Good luck holding 30+ with that CPU in more demanding software. The 1030 can probably handle it alright though.
Not sure how demanding the listed games are, either. I would expect Rocket League will be fine, and Total War will tank into the teens regularly.

I was thinking the same thing, that Total War is going to give this CPU a hard time more so than the rest of the games. Ironically that's the game I had planned on playing the most (provided I can).

zhenghan posted...
it's gonna be a CPU bottleneck man.

That poor 3 core lol.

wizardmon posted...
The vista sticker is the best part.

I couldn't resist. 🤣

Setzera
1 month ago#8
Well the Gigabyte GT 1030 2GB DDR5 finally arrived yesterday, and I installed it today for some tests! I was using HWMonitor for the first time ever, so I'm not sure how reliable that software is, but these were the results. Something tells me the CPU temps were not correct, because if it was, then hurray for 10 year old paste and stock cooler.. I guess?

Idle (highest temps)
CPU 1c
GPU 30c

Shogun 2
CPU 20c
GPU 56c
1366x768, in order to maintain 50-60 fps had to make unit size Small because of CPU bottleneck, graphics wise can go low-med easily.

Civ 5
CPU 22c
GPU 62c
1920x1080, low-med, able to maintain 45-60 fps on large map.
1366x768, fps was 180+ on a smaller map.

Sniper Elite 3
CPU 22c
GPU 66c
1920x1080 low or 1366x768 med will keep the game around 60 fps, personally I prefer 1080 low because field of view is important.

Splintercell Blacklist
CPU 23c
GPU 59c
1366x768 low, med, high, didn't seem to change fps, which was 30-40. Leaving at low just in case.

Rocket League
CPU 24c
GPU 58c
1366x768 lowest settings needed to get 50-60 fps against 4v4 AI, didn't try online due to the fact my XB1 wireless adapter kept causing bluescreen reboots. It causes trouble on my main PC too so I'm not surprised. Would probably need a wired 360 controller for this system.

Overall verdict, I'm happy enough with the system to keep using it as it is even if just for slower paced games. For something that has cost me nothing at all before I put in this new GPU, I can't really complain. The games I have are playable enough, if the right price comes along I still might get a quad core / 8GB RAM system off ebay in the future, simply due to the fact I cannot install some games on a 32 bit OS.

P.S. I'm going assume it can't run Crysis. lol

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#9
Don't expect anything more demanding than light eSports and Indie games to be playable. Maybe older AAA games from the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii era and older.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#10
It would probably run Crysis on medium with objects on low at 40+ most of the time.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Predict the future - GT 1030 edition

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived