This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can modern GPU and devices update to HDMI 2.1?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can modern GPU and devices update to HDMI 2.1?

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#11
So with HDMI 2.1 a 4kTV can potentially go up to 120FPS @ 4k? That seems pretty good.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
1 month ago#12
wizardmon posted...
Ryzeki posted...
I read it before and found nothing like that, pertaining hardware.

Are you sure?
Q: Is Dynamic HDR accessible via a firmware upgrade?
A: Manufacturers may or may not be able to enable Dynamic HDR with a firmware upgrade. Contact the manufacturer of your product to see if this is possible.

To translate that if it was too hard for you to understand: It's up to whoever made your GPU/Receiver/TV/whatever to update to this, and they might decide it isn't worth it to push a firmware update/the device might not even have the ability to do a firmware update in the case of non-net connected receivers and such.

It's not that far fetched, HDMI has had a few software/firmware level updates in the past.

It seems reading comprehension is not your strength, thats okay. Being HDMI 2.1 compliant makes all the HDMI 2.1 features available. The question you showed here is only specifically for a particular feature, not the full standard, which was the question being asked by the topic.

Dynamic HDR is only one of the features that will be incorporated as a standard, that does not require the new cable, and it is partially already being done independently by TV manufacturers. A firmware upgrade to enable Dynamic HDR does not mean you are upgrading your HDMI 2.0 device to 2.1. In the end it is all about bandwidth, just as PS4 was patched to enable HDR on HDMI 1.4. It doesn't mean it got upgraded to HDMI 2.0, specially since it does not support any of the features like 4K60hz etc.

So no, you cannot firmware upgrade 2.0 to 2.1, but it may be possible for manufacturers to add dynamic HDR (since they already offered HDR) fia firmware upgrade, as this is one of the features that do not require extra bandwidth, unlike every other feature of 2.1. You cannot upgrade to support 4K 120hz, etc.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
1 month ago#13
Ryzeki posted...
It seems reading comprehension is not your strength, thats okay.

Thanks!
wizardmon posted...
A couple of the features of HDMI 2.1 can be updated to older connections it looks like, however, several features of the new spec need that new ultra-high-speed cable they are releasing for the spec. I don't think you'd be getting everything out of the new spec without building a new product designed to use all of it.

Thanks!
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
1 month ago#14
wizardmon posted...
Ryzeki posted...
It seems reading comprehension is not your strength, thats okay.

Thanks!
wizardmon posted...
A couple of the features of HDMI 2.1 can be updated to older connections it looks like, however, several features of the new spec need that new ultra-high-speed cable they are releasing for the spec. I don't think you'd be getting everything out of the new spec without building a new product designed to use all of it.

Thanks!

A couple of cough cough... single already existing feature that was made standard in HDMI 2.1 is possible to patch depending on manufacturers from both producer and consumer devices.

Again, you cant upgrade to 2.1 via firmware. Updating a single feature does not make it 2.1. because the whole point of the new standard was to expand bandwidth, for new features, added res and refresh rate among other things, it requires additional hardware and requires a new cable as well.

When something new requires new hardware to work, it cant be patched. Sure, any feature that does not require new hardware can be patched, that doesnt make you fully compliant.

We are arguing over something quite stupid. We need hdmi 2.1 as soon as possible anyways. And hopefully new GPUs do incorporate it, othwerise we will be stuck until a new displayport to hdmi 2.1 cable/adapter comes out.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#15
No the tech has to be installed the HDMI is either 2.1 or not.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can modern GPU and devices update to HDMI 2.1?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived