This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need a new mouse; fairly specific requirements (or a very specific fix) - help?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need a new mouse; fairly specific requirements (or a very specific fix) - help?

User Info: jakisthe

jakisthe
1 month ago#1
So I did a fresh install of my machine, but the drivers for the mouse I currently use, a RAT MMO7, are very hard to find/impossible to install*. That in mind, I need a new mouse, but a few things I'm looking for (in order of need/want):

-Buttons. It needs to have bare minimum 9 side right thumb buttons
-Layout. I absolutely loathe the "cell phone blocks" layout of most MMO mice, but will settle if I need to
-Sensor. Obviously I want the best, and a toggle for sensitivity would be nice, but I *did* manage just fine with a RAT product, after all
-Finger shelves. As per the MMO7, wings for my thumb and pinky make it appreciably better
-Wireless. A nice touch, but not needed
-Adaptability. If I can change the dimensions of the mouse, like length/width/weight/panel tilt, so much the better

Price is not an issue, but as far as I've been able to find, most mice with over 5 buttons are terrible cell-phone-block, wired monstrosities with no shelves, no adaptability, and are almost always wired. Any ideas?

*Not only does Mad Catz not have the drivers up, they're quite finicky. Besides the fact that I need drivers both for the mouse itself *and* a setup program to be able to edit button profiles, that profile needs an old net framework, ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)", which gives me and my Windows 10 machine an 0x800F081F error - and I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing the fix that Microsoft suggests here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2734782/net-framework-3-5-installation-error-0x800f0906-0x800f081f-0x800f0907
I haven't come across any other mouse program which can sense/handle a 20 button mouse. This would be an almost ideal solution, but since it seems impossible, well, here I am.
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::

User Info: Jonexe

Jonexe
1 month ago#2
I doubt you'll find many, if any at all, that fit all of your criteria; however, I also hate the square block of keys so I use the Corsair M95.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-m95-performance-mmo-and-rts-laser-gaming-mouse-gunmetal-black

15 buttons, all in a nice shape that allows me to hold the mouse naturally while still hitting all of the keys.
"My life is a chip in your pile... ante up!"

jakisthe
1 month ago#3
Hmmm...that one looks pretty good, but are there any others out there which aren't hundreds of dollars? Wanna see the full gamut before I buy.

It *is* weird though. Like, the square block setup is awful - yet they always always always have it. It makes no sense and I hate it.
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#4
jakisthe posted...
Hmmm...that one looks pretty good, but are there any others out there which aren't hundreds of dollars? Wanna see the full gamut before I buy.

It *is* weird though. Like, the square block setup is awful - yet they always always always have it. It makes no sense and I hate it.

You talking about the side of the mice where its buttons are layed out like those old home phones?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
1 month ago#5
I'm using this at this very moment.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Backlit-Programmable-Buttons/dp/B0086UK7IQ

12-side buttons in block arrangement. With the "G-shift" mouse button, that 12 becomes 24. Alongside Logitech's gaming mouse software, you can assign different button functions per program. It will switch between layouts automatically.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#6
Too many damn choices to chooses from. What I really need to do is go somewhere and try some out.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

jakisthe
1 month ago#7
captsplatter_1 posted...
jakisthe posted...

You talking about the side of the mice where its buttons are layed out like those old home phones?

Yeah. Perfect example (which I feel bad calling out to, because I appreciate the advice and trying to help regardless) is the Logitech posted - those are the least comfortable button layouts possible, and I don't know why mouse manufacturers take it upon themselves to keep making them like that.

Honestly at this point it feels like I'm going to have to actually just make my own mouse somehow :/

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
1 month ago#8
Is there a reason that you need that many mouse buttons instead of something like a Logitech G13 / Nostromo instead? That could help cut down on the criteria.

jakisthe
1 month ago#9
Makes things a lot easier, and given I've pretty much exclusively used a MMO mouse for years now, it'll be hard to go back. Why, for instance, with a flick of just my thumb with my MMO7, I could:
-copy
-paste
-search a tab
-go to the address bar
-refresh the page
-open a tab
-close a tab
-go back
-go forward
-open task manager
-tab left
-tab right

Pretty much as far as clicking a mouse button, with minimal need to move my finger at all, no awful phone pad, and no button combos for anything. It's great, and I'm missing it considerably :/
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need a new mouse; fairly specific requirements (or a very specific fix) - help?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived