This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This PC even worth upgrading?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. This PC even worth upgrading?

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
1 month ago#1
Got an old PC laying around it's not terrible but not great... it's a dell and the motherboard is fried so Im thinking on buying a new motherboard,psu,case for it and overclock. Was gonna use it for basic games/emulators in the living room and movies (more of a light gaming/HTCP build)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.2GHZ
1TB Western Digital Blue
660TI overclocked
8GB DDR3

Buying these parts:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QwVP2R

Was thinking on overclocking the CPU to around 4.2GHZ (seen its easy to do with this chip/motherboard.) 8GB of RAM should be plenty even if DDR3 and the CPU isn't the greatest but a 4 core @ 4.2ghz should run most games without bottlenecking the 660TI. The 660TI is also overclocked and faster than a stock 750TI. Think this should be good for 4K videos, 1080p older games and emulators in the living room?
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

User Info: GeseztKatze

GeseztKatze
1 month ago#2
Yup. I think it will suit the needs you listed.

It won't work with every emulator. Cemu, for example, it's a bit tough to emulate. Dolphin and PCSX2 also may struggle. But for most, it will do the job.
I should really start finishing the phrases I...

iemerg_
1 month ago#3
GeseztKatze posted...

It won't work with every emulator. Cemu, for example, it's a bit tough to emulate. But for most, it will do the job.

mostly just want snes,nes,ps1,maybe PS2,dolphin etc. prob csgo,cod,battlefield4,rust,lol,overwatch etc.
and some 4k videos.

you guys think it could emulate ps2? would be cool having every console from nes to ps2 era, light pc gaming and 4k movies if I can do that its a $200 well spent imo :)

User Info: GeseztKatze

GeseztKatze
1 month ago#4
iemerg_ posted...
GeseztKatze posted...

It won't work with every emulator. Cemu, for example, it's a bit tough to emulate. But for most, it will do the job.

mostly just want snes,nes,ps1,dolphin etc. prob csgo,cod,battlefield,rust,lol,overwatch etc.
and some 4k videos.

I edited my response right before you quoted me. Dolphin... it will depend on the game. For the most part I think it will work, for simple games, but for more complex games it will have problems. And I'm not even accounting for AMD's especific dificulties with Dolphin emulation. You'll have to test one by one.
I should really start finishing the phrases I...

iemerg_
1 month ago#5
GeseztKatze posted...
iemerg_ posted...
GeseztKatze posted...

mostly just want snes,nes,ps1,dolphin etc. prob csgo,cod,battlefield,rust,lol,overwatch etc.
and some 4k videos.

I edited my response right before you quoted me. Dolphin... it will depend on the game. For the most part I think it will work, for simple games, but for more complex games it will have problems. And I'm not even accounting for AMD's especific dificulties with Dolphin emulation. You'll have to test one by one.

im not too worried about dolphin but would be nice to have GCN quality games atleast, don't care much for the wii.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#6
iemerg_ posted...
Got an old PC laying around it's not terrible but not great... it's a dell and the motherboard is fried so Im thinking on buying a new motherboard,psu,case for it and overclock. Was gonna use it for basic games/emulators in the living room and movies (more of a light gaming/HTCP build)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.2GHZ
1TB Western Digital Blue
660TI overclocked
8GB DDR3

Buying these parts:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QwVP2R

Was thinking on overclocking the CPU to around 4.2GHZ (seen its easy to do with this chip/motherboard.) 8GB of RAM should be plenty even if DDR3 and the CPU isn't the greatest but a 4 core @ 4.2ghz should run most games without bottlenecking the 660TI. The 660TI is also overclocked and faster than a stock 750TI. Think this should be good for 4K videos, 1080p older games and emulators in the living room?

If you have a 1080 get a 650 watt psu for some head room when you at a load on it cause 4k pushes a 1080.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#7
ps2 emulation isn't really that great on the phenom ii x4 tbh, okay for some games but definately not demanding ones like zone of the enders
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#8
Dolphin should generally be fine.
I played Other M last year on a Core 2 Quad 8400 and GT 610, it had its share of noticeable slowdowns, but generally still playable. Your CPU is clocked higher and Vulkan should yield better performance.

PCSX2, on the same PC, was decent enough for Haunting Grounds.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. This PC even worth upgrading?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived