This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

XCOM 2 worth buying even without the expansion?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. XCOM 2 worth buying even without the expansion?

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
1 month ago#1
For those who have played it. Is it worth it?
Currently playing: Escape From Tarkov (EOD)
Coming Soon: Monster Hunter World (PC) | Street Fighter V: AE (PC)

User Info: johnny_pay

johnny_pay
1 month ago#2
yea its worth it without the expansion

User Info: Escalated-Woody

Escalated-Woody
1 month ago#3
f*** yes
Low, medium, or high chaos?

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
1 month ago#4
It's a good game, my only complaint - which is kinda a big one for me - is how many annoying pop ups/nag screens/events all happening at all times. As someone who is a side-quest-completionist addict I absolutely would get frustrated enough that I had to stop playing till mods came out disabling or delaying the advent bulls***.

"All right, I just finished that stressful mission and it lowered the advent timer from 4 to 3 and I just found a resistance supply cache I need to sit on for three days before I can do any thing else..."
NEW ADVENT BLACKSITE DETECTED +3 ADVENT TICKS
"Well damn, it's only been a day and I'm already getting boned by this timer, well hopefully nothing else happ-"
COMMANDER, A TERROR ATTACK IS HAPPENING, YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH THIS NOW. +2 ADVENT TICKS
"Oh god damnit, that's taking place across a damn ocean and it will take me days to reach it so I can't even deal with it if I had the time to."
COMMANDER, WE ARE SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED WITH YOUR PERFORMANCE, AND ARE CUTTING YOUR FUNDING.

Yeah, these downtime segments that is supposed to Dr-stress the player is more stressful than the actual combat sections are ffs.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#5
You probably want to do a run through without the expac anyway to get used to things. Starting with it installed just throws a ton of things at you at once and it can be overload.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#6
wizardmon posted...
Yeah, these downtime segments that is supposed to Dr-stress the player is more stressful than the actual combat sections are ffs.

I assume you mean "de-stress" and even so, I have no clue why you would think that's the case. The strategic layer is supposed to be as serious as combat, in fact, you can lose a mission but can still come back but lose the strategic game and the game is over. At no point has this game or any other of the series said "you can just sit back and relax once you finish fighting".

OT: the game is definitely worth getting. You can mod it a lot and you can even get the Long War 2 mod which is a total overhaul of how most things work making the game quite different. LW2 is not reliant on the expansion, either.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
1 month ago#7
Well that helps make up my mind

I think I'll get Enemy Unknown. I can't stand timers.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: yars

yars
1 month ago#8
As someone who loved enemy unknown/within, war of the chosen is so much better. And timers are really a non issue.
My whole life has been a miserable pig filled ordeal because of you.

User Info: dioxxys

dioxxys
1 month ago#9
Based on my knowledge of the first game, I would say its not worth it unless you play with the expansion, thats why I own it and am waiting for a big sale on the expansion

User Info: ReeNoiP

ReeNoiP
1 month ago#10
Definitely worth getting. It's a great game.

wizardmon posted...
It's a good game, my only complaint - which is kinda a big one for me - is how many annoying pop ups/nag screens/events all happening at all times. As someone who is a side-quest-completionist addict I absolutely would get frustrated enough that I had to stop playing till mods came out disabling or delaying the advent bulls***.

"All right, I just finished that stressful mission and it lowered the advent timer from 4 to 3 and I just found a resistance supply cache I need to sit on for three days before I can do any thing else..."
NEW ADVENT BLACKSITE DETECTED +3 ADVENT TICKS
"Well damn, it's only been a day and I'm already getting boned by this timer, well hopefully nothing else happ-"
COMMANDER, A TERROR ATTACK IS HAPPENING, YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH THIS NOW. +2 ADVENT TICKS
"Oh god damnit, that's taking place across a damn ocean and it will take me days to reach it so I can't even deal with it if I had the time to."
COMMANDER, WE ARE SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED WITH YOUR PERFORMANCE, AND ARE CUTTING YOUR FUNDING.

The strategic layer is not downtime. It's just as important as the missions.

The first step is to realize there are infinite non-story missions. You cannot complete everything. The idea is that you need to prioritize what you need and deal with that. The game is about spending your resources wisely and time is a very important resource. A lot of people seem to get stressed out by this for some reason.

As for the Avatar Project, doing black site missions lowers it a pip and reduces the speed at which it progresses. You can slow it to a crawl if you are on top of contacting new regions. Doing story missions can also take away several pips on the counter. If you play the system, you can delay it for years.
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. XCOM 2 worth buying even without the expansion?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived