This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Experience with Non-Techies

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Your Experience with Non-Techies

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
1 month ago#11
Monkeymage posted...
Years ago I made the mistake of putting up a sign in the break room where I work, saying that I would fix peoples' computers and mobile devices for a fee.

Most of it was people shoving 5 and 6 year old prebuilts onto me asking why they were running slow, and then having to clear tons of spyware, adware, etc off of them. I would provide education on what sites to avoid and they would bring them back 6 months later with exactly the same problem. It got real tiresome.

Working on old stuff in general is frustrating. I run Malwarebytes on my PC, it's a 15 second scan. Some really old computers I run it on takes 40 minutes to do one scan, and yeah seeing the same problems come up with the person having no clue how they are doing it is annoying.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#12
Shinkoden posted...
Monkeymage posted...
Years ago I made the mistake of putting up a sign in the break room where I work, saying that I would fix peoples' computers and mobile devices for a fee.

Most of it was people shoving 5 and 6 year old prebuilts onto me asking why they were running slow, and then having to clear tons of spyware, adware, etc off of them. I would provide education on what sites to avoid and they would bring them back 6 months later with exactly the same problem. It got real tiresome.

Working on old stuff in general is frustrating. I run Malwarebytes on my PC, it's a 15 second scan. Some really old computers I run it on takes 40 minutes to do one scan, and yeah seeing the same problems come up with the person having no clue how they are doing it is annoying.

That's what makes good business man. You can leave it scanning and do something else in the meantime, Its basically free money
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Mushroom87

Mushroom87
1 month ago#13
Old boss tells me his wife's computer has a virus.

I power on the machine and even before windows boots up I get a splash screen for virus pro cleaner 2000 or something.

Boot into the machine to find loads of scamware asking for credit card numbers to clear out the bajillion super critical life threatening infections.

A week after I clean it I ask him how its doing and he starts flipping out that I unninstalled his wife's antivirus software that had cost him over 100 bucks.

Mind you this is a non English work place(the computer was in Spanish) and I wasn't good at Spanish yet so it took me longer than It should have.

And the best part is that he and his wife were so tech challenged that they spread word to all the other coworkers to never let me touch their computers.

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
1 month ago#14
I worked as a tech in a local computer store for a time in college. I forgot a lot of stuff since it became so commonplace for me, but I had it all, people who brought in their monitors thinking it was their computer, people calling random different parts hard drives, people who clearly had looked at questionable content to get their computers infected, people using XP computers with like 512mb of RAM wondering why they weren't running all the latest programs, the gankiest laptops covered in grease and cat hair, etc. I also remember a somewhat sad story where I think a mother brought in her deceased son's gaming PC, it was probably old but still looked impressive at the time, don't remember any of the specs or why she brought it in. But it was probably excessively powerful for her needs so I considered asking to buy it off her, but figured it wouldn't be appropriate.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#15
cuteboi100 posted...
It's so frustrating people are not tech savvy ask for your help yet they don't trust what you say.

yeah this has basically made me give up on helping my roommate with anything. she's 21, i sort of just assume she has some base level knowledge of stuff considering she's had the internet her entire life. doesn't matter what i say though, its always ignored. i just pretend i don't know what the issue is either now.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#16
I have a more pragmatic approach to it. There are plenty of things I don't know, so I'm not too bothered by it. Can be a bit frustrating in the extreme cases, but that is more about the person's temperament and not how tech savvy they are.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
1 month ago#17
Oh, I have many stories. First off, everybody makes computer mistakes from time to time. But most of the problems I have are with people around my own age who think they know everything, don't do research or just ask ahead of time, cause a problem, AND never think they can learn a lesson from it. Older generations don't know things, but that's because they just don't know--but they'll at least ask to explain what's what, and try to correct what they're doing going forward.

An older coworker had an Excel spreadsheet that was a mess and hard to figure out. He had multiple sheets/tabs, each for a different subject/person. On his monitor he had an ancient sticky-note listing what each sheet was for. So "Sheet 1=Bob, Sheet 2=Steve". If positions changed, he kept a log of what the past Sheet 1 name was at the time the spreadsheet was created. I asked why he didn't just rename the Sheets to that person's name so he didn't have to look it up or keep track over the months/years. He didn't know that was possible. I explained for him to right-click on the Sheet name, and he turns to me and says "There's a RIGHT-click?" He never had to use that and just didn't know it was a thing, but I showed him and now he knows.

On the other hand, a sibling had a problem with his laptop barely working--turns out he googled "free Game of Thrones episodes" and downloaded whatever it said would get him those. This is not the first time he's looked for something, seen a sketchy download link, and installed it. I keep telling him to be wary of what's online and verify before you download stuff, but he doesn't always listen. It's "fix the problem and don't bother me with the details". This was a rampant thing in my high-school/college years--unless I knew you, I never explained I was good with computers, because you'd become that guy who gets bothered at 11:45PM on a Sunday that their computer won't boot and they have a paper due tomorrow.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule

User Info: Sonorous_Jon1S8

Sonorous_Jon1S8
1 month ago#18
How do you even get this many viruses?

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
1 month ago#19
""your eyes can't see more than 30 fps therefore anything more is pointless"" - peasant.

now that certain console games do support 60 fps, we don't hear that argument anymore.

""PC gaming is dead because reasons" - peasant

every year we hear this so often.. mostly because choice supportive bias being in play.

""PC gaming is too expensive compared to console"" -peasant

upfront costs will be more, but PC games with sales are dirt cheap. so if you're the type to only play a paltry amount of games, then console is best; but if you like having lots of games to play PC is probably better for your wallet.

User Info: Mushroom87

Mushroom87
1 month ago#20
jjyiz28 posted...
""your eyes can't see more than 30 fps therefore anything more is pointless"" - peasant.

now that certain console games do support 60 fps, we don't hear that argument anymore.

""PC gaming is dead because reasons" - peasant

every year we hear this so often.. mostly because choice supportive bias being in play.

""PC gaming is too expensive compared to console"" -peasant

upfront costs will be more, but PC games with sales are dirt cheap. so if you're the type to only play a paltry amount of games, then console is best; but if you like having lots of games to play PC is probably better for your wallet.

Theirs a group of gamers at work that are still young and play P's4/Xbox because its "cool" and when they start having power debates and I interject with something about pc they ignore me or laugh me out of the convo.

Another guy in that same group was hell bent on buying an alienware for 1200 bucks, I told him to just let me build him a system that's equally capable for less money and he acts like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Kids these days are all about brands, if theirs no name brand on the case they don't want it
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Your Experience with Non-Techies

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived